NEWS Greenberg resigns

So a Queenslander should have been in charge of the NRL for a decade.

Grant and Beattie were in charge. I am not saying the winner of Origin is the NRL boss I am just saying he's done a good job with the NSWRL and result of that is Origin along with other things he has done well.

Not sure how interested he'd be in the job, or how seriously they'd consider him, but there is at least one CEO about to become available who has plenty of commercial runs on the board and would seem to have far better credentials than many of the other candidates. Coming from the ultimate 'Out of Sydney' club might hurt his chances significantly though.

The Courier Mail must have been trawling BHQ again for material ... because they are reporting the White is a genuine candidate to replace Greenberg

He got sacked because Channel 9 don't like him, simple as that. I'm not feeling good about V'landys at all, the fact that media are all universally licking his proverbial nut sack just screams to me that he's a Newcorp and Ch9 puppet.

He better do really well with the TV deal re-negotiation.

Last edited:
I have no faith in whoever gets chosen, because you have the former Liberal Treasurer over the entire Howard era in charge of Channel Nine/Fairfax and their biggest cheerleader in Murdoch with Fox and NewsCorp running the agenda.

Match made in hell

Last edited:
Grant and Beattie were in charge. I am not saying the winner of Origin is the NRL boss I am just saying he's done a good job with the NSWRL and result of that is Origin along with other things he has done well.

You don’t think that might be down to Qld losing their once in eternity side to retirement, etc and then going back to the pre-glory years ragtags they always were?

I don’t want anyone from the QRL or NSWRL or to be honest, NRL anywhere near the top. They need to get rid of the boys club attitude that got them into this mess.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't think it's acceptable to have a former NSWRL Chief Executive in charge of the NRL. It's probably not acceptable to have a former QRL Chief Executive in charge either for that matter, though it would be far harder for them to wield any personal bias as they'd no doubt be kept on a much tighter leash.

Queenslanders would never accept a person like that, any more than the blokes in NSW would accept a senior QRL official. The game is far too tribal and partisan to ever allow for such an appointment. The candidate needs to be as neutral as possible and as far from state influence as can possibly be achieved.

Moreover, the game needs to really decide once and for all if it really does want to be a nationally relevant sport or not, and appointing a bloke straight out of the NSWRL with their long, consistent history of Sydney-centric mentality, regardless of the qualifications he brings to the table, is a million miles from the right move for the game at such a critical juncture.

You don’t think that might be down to Qld losing their once in eternity side to retirement, etc and then going back to the pre-glory years ragtags they always were?

I don’t want anyone from the QRL or NSWRL or to be honest, NRL anywhere near the top. They need to get rid of the boys club attitude that got them into this mess.

TBF all 1910 is saying is people who are excellent at their jobs generally have success across the board
My concerns would be everything he has done has been for the NSWRL so I have no reason to believe that wouldn't continue.

Origin is the effect not the cause, he's fixed things in regards to their system all the way through to Canterbury Cup. that's what has impressed me. Origin is just the thing in the window.

Similar to what QRL did in 2001, he's gone back and shown he can be professional and that he can fix things from the bottom.

This.

Any current or past club CEO, or state RL guy is going to be accused of bias in everything they do and get push back from a large proportion of the game just because of his past, regardless of the merit of what he's pushing for. Just the way it is.

They need to get an experienced sports administrator into the position who doesn't have club or state allegiances hanging over him. Guy like Carmichael who was CEO of the QRU when the Reds won Super Rugby comp would be ideal, and I think they poached him from AFL.

This.

Any current or past club CEO, or state RL guy is going to be accused of bias in everything they do and get push back from a large proportion of the game just because of his past, regardless of the merit of what he's pushing for. Just the way it is.

They need to get an experienced sports administrator into the position who doesn't have club or state allegiances hanging over him. Guy like Carmichael who was CEO of the QRU when the Reds won Super Rugby comp would be ideal, and I think they poached him from AFL.
Someone should get on the phone to Andrew Demetriou and ask how many zeroes it would take on the end of a cheque to get him to take the job.

Someone should get on the phone to Andrew Demetriou and ask how many zeroes it would take on the end of a cheque to get him to take the job.

He isn't without his faults but I tell you what, he is the one responsible for how professional and popular that sport has become in Australia, he would be perfect for the job. He does some dodgy stuff but he isn't afraid to say no to idiots wanting their way which the NRL is unfortunately full of.

This.

Abdo is South African and didn't go to his first league game until 2013. No ties to anything.

He isn't without his faults but I tell you what, he is the one responsible for how professional and popular that sport has become in Australia, he would be perfect for the job. He does some dodgy stuff but he isn't afraid to say no to idiots wanting their way which the NRL is unfortunately full of.
Yeah I agree, far from perfect, but hardly any senior Administrator in sport, or even in private business for that matter, really is anything close to perfect.

If nothing else, he was excellent at getting things done through sheer will of force despite huge push back from self interested clubs and stakeholders, and that's something the NRL desperately needs.

I haven’t heard if we have anyone lined up to take White’s role as CEO at the club from 2021+?
We could well see a switch-a-roo with White as NRL CEO and Greenberg as Broncos CEO. Now that’d cause a stir..

Last edited:

Active Now

• Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.