Greg Inglis Assault Charges

Beautifully said here. We've have a few "let boneheads be boneheads" movementarians here.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/Spo ... boneheads/
As the media cycle turns once more to appalling allegations against one of our sport stars, it provides a timely opportunity to talk about a new phenomena that seems to be connected to the recent spate of indiscretions by sports people.

It’s a phenomena that I like to call the “let boneheads be boneheads†movement. You may have heard the movement’s devotees out in force.

They’re the ones calling in to talkback radio and defending the behaviour of their heroes by arguing that we should only focus on what happens whilst on the sporting arena.

They’ve previously been out in force lashing out at members of the community who have the gall to suggest that committing a serious assault isn’t a particularly desirable attribute for our sporting role models.

They’ve criticised and abused journalists for daring to suggest that grown male professional athletes who take turns at having sex with a teenage girl to the amusement of their teammates might not be the most respectful of behaviour.

And I’ve heard from them too, for saying that those individuals who have the honour of representing our nation in the international sporting arena should act with some common decency - I have been told to keep my “moralistic, fantasyland judgementalism (sic) to myselfâ€.

One of my personal favourites was actually when I was told that it was “none of my business†if athletes chose to urinate in unconventional and public places.

While this creative way to relieve one’s self is most certainly the business of those poor people who unwittingly find themselves in the firing line, so to speak. I’m just not sure why anybody would make it their business to defend such behaviour when it wouldn’t be tolerated for any one else in the community.

Of course it is totally okay to be a die-hard fan, to champion your team and to revere the star players, like so many sports fans do, but that minority of supporters who think that by defending the stupid behaviour of players, they are defending the sport they love are quite frankly - kidding themselves.

Every time sport pushes its way from the back to the front pages of our newspapers for the wrong reasons – it chips away at the overwhelming good that sport represents in our community.

Sport administrators don’t condone it – so why would anyone else?

I’m an avid believer in the power of sport to benefit our community, both on-field and off.

I’ve had the privilege to see first hand great inspiring examples like the AFL Players Association’s work with homeless youth or the Normanton rugby league team’s remarkable anti-domestic violence campaign.

Just this week the NRL are highlighting indigenous issues through their Close The Gap round and the AFL are celebrating the Green Round. Equally our Olympic and Paralympic athletes, our netballers, sports people from so many different background contribute in a whole variety of ways to the good of our community.

Yet every time a scandal breaks sport takes a hit. And the focus moves from the amazing capacity of sport to do good - to the negative. We should all take a strong stand against that.

There are so many things to celebrate about our sporting culture – but celebrating bonehead behaviour isn’t one of them.

Exactly as Emma said - if someone is in that state of mind to self-harm, it will be a physical struggle in most cases to get their 'weapon' of choice away from them and stop them doing it, no matter who it is.

I have never thought it would be in GI's nature to physically abuse anyone - this one really shocked me, unlike most of the other incidents of late when I've heard about them, I've kind of thought to myself 'yeah I could see him doing that', when I heard this on Monday night I was like 'WTF? Inglis? Really?'

But at the same time, I am not automatically now going to believe this latest version just because it more suits my view of the type of person I have always thought Inglis to be. This still all has to go through the justice system and I just hope that whatever it is, the truth does come out.

Yeah people who self harm tend to be psychotic, so she would definitely have put up a struggle if the story is true, and she would have lied about it to cover up her self harming, the last thing she'd want is all the world to know she cuts herself.

Also believable is that if she had botox she would have had bruises to both eyes...why she would need that is beyond me, the girl is gorgeous.... but if she does have mental issues and self esteem issues then no doubt she would be looking to "improve" her looks.

Anonymous person said:
Browny said:
[quote="Anonymous person":3pze0r61]
KrispyKris said:
If he gets banned in the NRL, I'm sure we'll find another player that can play as good as him.
I'm not. He is a once a decade (or more) type player IMO. We haven't seen someone like him since Renouf.

So?

He's still a woman basher
whats being an alleged woman basher got to do with finding another player that can play as good as him? [icon_confu[/quote:3pze0r61]

It sounded like you were saying its okay for Inglis as he is a once in a decade/generation player

I have changed my mind... What a crock of shit. IMO very much like the scrambling to find an exonerating story that Katie Milligan and Greg Bird concocted with the help of his manager. Better stop before i say something about money......

I don't believe the story.

IMO: She would have told them the story from the start.

Neighbours heard them fighting.

Really Kaz? People who are self-harming don't generally really want the world to know.

I can understand her not coming out and saying it from the start particularly when she would have been basically ushered away by the cops in a really fragile, upset, traumatised and possibly hysterical state of mind and she probably had people telling her he beat her up. She was probably in a state of mind where she really couldn't say much at all, so was easier to just go along with it. Then maybe when a few days passed and she calmed down and she realised the seriousness of the charges he is facing, she probably thought she better tell the truth. And he wouldn't have brought it up to the cops because he would be still trying to protect her and not wanting the world to know the problems she is dealing with.

And lots of couples fight - doesn't mean one of them is beating the other one up. And if she was self-harming and he was trying to stop her and they were struggling, of course they would have been yelling and neighbours would have heard them.

As I said before, I don't necessarily believe this story, but I don't not believe it either - to me it is totally plausible (much more plausible than the Milligan/Bird thing). But basically at this stage the only people who know 100% for sure what actually happened is Greg Inglis and Sally Robinson.

Yep. We simply don't know the facts and so to comment and/or make an assumption as to his guilt or innocence is flawed. Let's wait for the outcome of the judicial process. Kudos to the Storm for doing the same, even though they'd probably know pretty well what happened.

Browny said:
It sounded like you were saying its okay for Inglis as he is a once in a decade/generation player
Well that's in no way what I said, nor can I see any possible way in which it could have sounded like that icon_thumbs_u

I'll wait until the police drop charges before I say he is innocent.

Although I think these latest claims do have some credence to them. Didn't Robinson have GI tattooed on her somewhere? That sounds a little obsessive to me given their age.

Kaz said:
I don't believe the story.

IMO: She would have told them the story from the start.

Neighbours heard them fighting.
What a ridiculous thing to say. I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion, but how can you honestly think (if this story is true), that someone who has just tried to harm themselves would be in the right state of mind to be completely open and honest with police?

Can I just say let's not make sweeping judgments about either of them and just wait and see what pans out from the police investigations and the court process.

Emma said:
What a ridiculous thing to say. I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion, but how can you honestly think (if this story is true), that someone who has just tried to harm themselves would be in the right state of mind to be completely open and honest with police?

Yet days later she is in her right mind to tell the police she cuts herself etc.

I'm not saying the story is or isn't true, I'm just saying that if you think that the story is a lie based on the fact that you think she would have told them at the time that she was trying to harm herself, then you clearly don't know a lot about mental disorders. There could be many explanations as to why (if this is true) she has now come forward to police to tell the truth. Read what Flutterby posted, that's just 1 possible explanation. There could be many others, but I'm not going to speculate about them here.

Emma said:
I'm not saying the story is or isn't true, I'm just saying that if you think that the story is a lie based on the fact that you think she would have told them at the time that she was trying to harm herself, then you clearly don't know a lot about mental disorders.

No I don't. :roll:

Just have a sister who has scizopenia & used to cut herself to end the noises in her head, was honest & told people she cuts herself. (She is now on the correct medication.)

I suffer depression. (On medication, but sometimes think my Dr should increase my dosage)

I am sorry to hear that, but given that you should surely be aware that not everyone handles their conditions the same way. Just because your sister was open and honest about her condition, doesn't mean that Joe Bloggs is going to be as well.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • theshed
  • Gaz
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Footy Fanatic
  • heartly87
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • Adammacca
  • Big Del
  • Broncosgirl
  • Pablo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • eazy-duzzit
  • porouian
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.