Greg Inglis signing thread.

Paul Kent, lol.

From what I've seen of the MJ show, it's as clear as day that his comments on CC don't come naturally, always trying his best to be a hard arse for the TV (and perhaps the nostalgia of the segment) and sometimes overdoing it.

But if that's what he said then there wasn't any need to embarrass himself by not doing any research re: Locky. Typical of a Telecrap wage-slave though.

Water off a duck's back.

to be honest, i think the thoroughbreds and any organisation like it for any other teams is a bit of a gee up. its pretty much a way of circumventing the salary cap to give people extra money, or things that directly replace extra money.

i mean, it came out that over the years theyd given wayne bennett over $1 million in payments outside of the salary cap, but they let it go because it was just 'a friend giving another friend $100k a year to help with his disabled children'! now sure, if the person with the disabled children is struggling working 9 to 5 every day and earning $30k a year for his efforts, i can believe that. but when youre the biggest name coach in Rugby League on a contract worth over $500k a season? pull the other one.

i dont even want to know the rest of the deals that are happening with current Broncos players, or have happened with former Broncos players. i have NO doubt that somewhere along the line some Thoroughbred deals have been used as extra incentive on top of a players contract.

Anonymous person said:
to be honest, i think the thoroughbreds and any organisation like it for any other teams is a bit of a gee up. its pretty much a way of circumventing the salary cap to give people extra money, or things that directly replace extra money.

i mean, it came out that over the years theyd given wayne bennett over $1 million in payments outside of the salary cap, but they let it go because it was just 'a friend giving another friend $100k a year to help with his disabled children'! now sure, if the person with the disabled children is struggling working 9 to 5 every day and earning $30k a year for his efforts, i can believe that. but when youre the biggest name coach in Rugby League on a contract worth over $500k a season? pull the other one.

i dont even want to know the rest of the deals that are happening with current Broncos players, or have happened with former Broncos players. i have NO doubt that somewhere along the line some Thoroughbred deals have been used as extra incentive on top of a players contract.

there is no salary cap for coaches

The Rock said:
As long as it's within the rules, I don't care. If the club is smart enough to pay their players with 3rd party payments and keep inside the rules then that's great administration.

Yep, and that's what makes the Broncos the best run club in the competition.

They take advantage of every possible thing they can.

Anonymous person said:

Pretty sure this was one of WBs main source of income for many years... wasn't he only on a contract here his last few seasons? Pretty tired of the WB bashing to be honest, this was one of the biggest beat ups ever. Morally and Legally there was absolutely nothing wrong with him taking that 100k.

Foordy, coaches not having a salary cap is besides the point.

the point is that the Thoroughbreds were giving money to him outside of the NRL. if they do this for the coach, whos saying they dont do it for the players?

m1c, Bennett had a contract for his entire career. it was nowhere near his only source of income.

"Yep, and that's what makes the Broncos the best run club in the competition.

They take advantage of every possible thing they can."

slippery slope youre on there. remember how everyone on here hated melbourne for their grapple tackle technique and slaters legs-first tackle style, amongst other things? well that was just taking advantage of every possible thing they could too.

to the admin - dont get all ban-hammer-ready and shout 'off topic!!'. we're just having a discussion.

Anonymous person said:
m1c, Bennett had a contract for his entire career. it was nowhere near his only source of income.

It's well known that Bennett never had a contract for a large portion of his career here. He referred to it himself as a handshake arrangement. At the end of the day if it is neither morally nor legally questionable, than what is the problem with it?

Anonymous person said:

It wasn't the thoroughbreds who gave Wayne Bennett the money...it was Ken Talbot who happened to be a member of the thoroughbreds at the time. Ken resigned from the thoroughbreds when his gift's to Gordon Nutal was also disclosed. It was never reported in the media that the thorougbreds gave Nutal money, it was Ken. It's the same thing...Ken as an individual gave Bennett money, it's just the jealous sydney clubs and media beating up this particular organisation.

"It's well known that Bennett never had a contract for a large portion of his career here. He referred to it himself as a handshake arrangement."

lol. thats 100% different to saying 'he didnt have a contract so the handout money was his main source of income'. i have no doubt he had a handshake agreement - the agreement being that he doesnt have a set number of years, NOT being that he doesnt get a set wage. he would get a set amount of $ per year for however many years he stayed, but could also negotiate more money. it wasnt just a 'you coach the broncos but we're not paying you' agreement.

and whatever any of you say, whichever way you want to spin it, i still find the whole Thoroughbred thing as close to cheating as you can possibly get, if not overstepping the boundaries.

Anonymous person said:
"and whatever any of you say, whichever way you want to spin it, i still find the whole Thoroughbred thing as close to cheating as you can possibly get, if not overstepping the boundaries.

Well then pick on the Cowboys as well as they have exactly the same group in the "Stockmen".

Anonymous person said:
Foordy, coaches not having a salary cap is besides the point.

the point is that the Thoroughbreds were giving money to him outside of the NRL. if they do this for the coach, whos saying they dont do it for the players?

It is absolutely the point. Giving money to the coach is very much within the rules. Giving money to players (unless declared as such) is illegal. To assume that just because they give money to one person (legally) they're definitely giving it to everyone else (illegally) is really jumping to conclusions. Be suspicious, sure, but don't talk about it like it's fact.

and all I'm saying is that if it was "cheating or overstepping the boundaries", then the NRL would have jumped on it and not allowed another similar organisation to be setup. All clubs are obvioulsy free to do the same thing.

Ap is correct in that a group or person could have a smell about their generosity and the implied or expected return for their largesse. Mentioning Talbots generosity towards Bennett is grubby as it has no relevance. I give my friends money or gifts because they need it or deserve more luck in life. Like a kid with an enormous bag of lollies, as soon as the kid realises that he/she has more than enough then sharing is easy. Same with money. Nowhere near the scale of a mining magnate but the same principle.

Kents allegations are outrageous and I'm hoping the Broncos fire up and challenge the world to prove them guilty and demand an apology, live at the same time and in the same arena, when proven clean. Utter madness to suggest that my team should risk decades of work for a trifling gain. (when compared to losing your integrity)

I hate how the Sydney media are comparing, Lockyer, Hodges, Thaiday and Inglis with Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis. I mean cmon the storm fab four are in there prime whilst Lockyer is 30 odd Hodges is always injured and Thaiday has only just stepped up to the platre. Not to mention how young our squad is and the fact that players will stay at the best club on earth for less because it is the best thing for there careers.

Whats wrong with the thoroughbreads givng money to players? If these wealthy buisinessmen want to sponsor a player thru 3rd party deals then they can do so if it is okd by the NRL. Thats the way those deals work. Inglis signs for 400k with the broncos and then mr t'bread wants him to make appearances at his hotel/club/burger joint and pays him 300k to do so. Under the rules this is perfectly legal. What if mr t'bread is so wealthy that he doesn't need anything back from inglis other than bringing his fave team success??? Still legal...

Huge, if you had a huge bag of lollies, would you give a huge amount of those lollies every year to someone else who already has more than their fair share of lollies?

lets get serious - there is NO way that Bennett is short of coin, and he certainly doesnt need money to help him care for his disabled kids. he is not disadvantaged, and does not deserve more in life.

the reason i brought it up was NOT to have a go at Wayne Bennett whatsoever. if someone offered me $100k a year 'for no reason' id take it too. i brought it up to show exactly why i think organisations like the Thoroughbreds should not be allowed to exist in relation to NRL teams. yes, you might be naive and think that they were just giving Bennett money cause theyre friends. but there is a VERY real probability that it was money to make sure he stayed with the Broncos, amongst other things. and if the coach is just getting given free money, whos to say the players arent being given free cars/money/boats/etc just because theyre 'friends' with some rich Thoroughbred members? thats my point.

where do you draw the line? what if wayne bennett then came along and told Lockyer 'hey Locky, i really want you to stay with the broncos even though we cant afford you under the cap, but my mate has been giving me $100k a year out of his own pocket, so how bout you sign with us for $300k a season and ill just give you $90k a year out of my own pocket?'. would you be ok with that? technically its not breaking any Salary Cap rules, is it? what if Russell Crowe just wanted to give Inglis $1mil out of his pocket + a starring role in his next hollywood blockbuster, as long as he played for the Rabbitohs? youd be fine with that?

Anonymous person said:
Huge, if you had a huge bag of lollies, would you give a huge amount of those lollies every year to someone else who already has more than their fair share of lollies?

lets get serious - there is NO way that Bennett is short of coin, and he certainly doesnt need money to help him care for his disabled kids. he is not disadvantaged, and does not deserve more in life.

the reason i brought it up was NOT to have a go at Wayne Bennett whatsoever. if someone offered me $100k a year 'for no reason' id take it too. i brought it up to show exactly why i think organisations like the Thoroughbreds should not be allowed to exist in relation to NRL teams. yes, you might be naive and think that they were just giving Bennett money cause theyre friends. but there is a VERY real probability that it was money to make sure he stayed with the Broncos, amongst other things. and if the coach is just getting given free money, whos to say the players arent being given free cars/money/boats/etc just because theyre 'friends' with some rich Thoroughbred members? thats my point.

where do you draw the line? what if wayne bennett then came along and told Lockyer 'hey Locky, i really want you to stay with the broncos even though we cant afford you under the cap, but my mate has been giving me $100k a year out of his own pocket, so how bout you sign with us for $300k a season and ill just give you $90k a year out of my own pocket?'. would you be ok with that? technically its not breaking any Salary Cap rules, is it? what if Russell Crowe just wanted to give Inglis $1mil out of his pocket + a starring role in his next hollywood blockbuster, as long as he played for the Rabbitohs? youd be fine with that?

if crowe wasn't an owner of the club then sure..why not? If you had millions to blow on a player just to see him play then go nuts. As long as you are not directly linked to said club either as a sponsor/owner or any kind of benefactor then whats the big deal? Lachlan Murdoch is a huge broncos supporter with plenty of coin. If he was to give inglis money to play then that would be illegal under the rules.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • dasherhalo
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.