NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Of course Melbourne are above salary cap cheating, but what if hypothetically 10k Coles, Bunnings, eBay, Amazon and Uber gift cards were given to players after a win from rich people who have a stake in the club.

Now of course, I'd never imply this is happening, nor has it, but I wonder how the NRL polices that, if a rich person walking past just slips and the gift cards just by chance fall into the 4KG protein bucket assigned to star players.
Not that I'm advocating tax evasion, but just putting it out there, buying ridiculous gift cards on a regular basis is one of the more straightforward ways to draw attention to yourself from the ATO and even the AFP. They love when people make their lives easy like that.

Salary Cap cheating is likely to be as rife as tax evasion, but it's almost certainly far more subtle than that. Think games of Golf or Poker. Think fortuitous real estate and vehicle purchases that just happen to be a fantastic deal for the buyer.

Spend some time in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs. Those Uncle Nick rumours are absolutely not plucked out of thin air. Only a handful of people on here seem to think otherwise for some reason.

I just saw the TPJ interview were here spoke about Haas. It looked far worse in text.

The poor guy was opening up to questions about his child and the vulture interviewing him started asking about Haas’ worth. Tevita answered fairly reluctantly and despite the extremely leading questions trying to stir up controversy (after him just opening up about his loss and being obviously emotionally drained) the best quote they got out of him was “yeah he’s worth more than he’s on.”

It went like this
- TPJ speaking openly about how tough it has been
- TPJ showing gratitude to Panthers and Ivan for being so understanding

TPJs response to the unheard leading question:
“Yeah… I think it’s well know that uh…hes under paid so uh… yeah…”
Weidler:
“What’s he worth ?”

TPJ
“[uncomfortable laugh] uh I’m not sure what he’s worth but he’s not worth what he’s on at the moment”.

Weidler:
“he’s worth more yeah?”
tpj:
“[uncomfortable laugh] yeah”

Danny the germ. Having a player open up about his lost child and the struggle since and then immediately following it with trying to corner TPJ in to manufactured controversial comments. What a low life.

I just saw the TPJ interview were here spoke about Haas. It looked far worse in text.

The poor guy was opening up to questions about his child and the vulture interviewing him started asking about Haas’ worth. Tevita answered fairly reluctantly and despite the extremely leading questions trying to stir up controversy (after him just opening up about his loss and being obviously emotionally drained) the best quote they got out of him was “yeah he’s worth more than he’s on.”

It went like this
- TPJ speaking openly about how tough it has been
- TPJ showing gratitude to Panthers and Ivan for being so understanding

TPJs response to the unheard leading question:
“Yeah… I think it’s well know that uh…hes under paid so uh… yeah…”
Weidler:
“What’s he worth ?”

TPJ
“[uncomfortable laugh] uh I’m not sure what he’s worth but he’s not worth what he’s on at the moment”.

Weidler:
“he’s worth more yeah?”
tpj:
“[uncomfortable laugh] yeah”

Danny the germ. Having a player open up about his lost child and the struggle since and then immediately following it with trying to corner TPJ in to manufactured controversial comments. What a low life.
To give TPJ the benefit of the doubt, he may not have known about the mid-season upgrade that Haas received. If was basing it on the original contract figures pre-upgrade, he is probably spot on.

To give TPJ the benefit of the doubt, he may not have known about the mid-season upgrade that Haas received. If was basing it on the original contract figures pre-upgrade, he is probably spot on.
I think that’s almost definitely the case.

Getting pretty obvious why we discarded TPJ.
If you are going to TPJ for his take on football matters, there's an excellent chance you are not looking for wise words.

Cameron Smith can just go and GET FUCKED. He has come out today and warned Payne Haas against signing a long term deal.

here is what Smith said:

“You’ve just got to be careful,” Smith said on SEN’s Pat and Heals.

“Once you sign a contract, clearly you agree to the terms of the length of the contract and the financial part of it as well.

“When you sign, clearly, you’re happy with the terms of the deal at the time, so it’s really hard to turn around and say two years into that contract that, ‘I’m worth more money’, if you weren’t playing well, would you turn around and volunteer to give up money? I don’t think so.

“You’ve got to be careful there, if you’re playing well enough and your actions and football is doing the talking then any club in their right mind would come to you and say, ‘You’re doing a good job, let’s have some discussions on extending your contract and upgrading your current terms’.”

“I just think he needs to be careful with the way he goes about it, which I think he is.

“He’s certainly backing it up on the field, and there’s certainly no dramas between he and the club but it’s just something he needs to sort out away from footy.”

Cameron Smith can just go and GET FUCKED. He has come out today and warned Payne Haas against signing a long term deal.

here is what Smith said:

“Once you sign a contract, clearly you agree to the terms of the length of the contract and the financial part of it as well.

“When you sign, clearly, you’re happy with the terms of the deal at the time, so it’s really hard to turn around and say two years into that contract that, ‘I’m worth more money’, if you weren’t playing well, would you turn around and volunteer to give up money? I don’t think so.

“You’ve got to be careful there, if you’re playing well enough and your actions and football is doing the talking then any club in their right mind would come to you and say, ‘You’re doing a good job, let’s have some discussions on extending your contract and upgrading your current terms’.”

“I just think he needs to be careful with the way he goes about it, which I think he is.

“He’s certainly backing it up on the field, and there’s certainly no dramas between he and the club but it’s just something he needs to sort out away from footy.”
But this is what Brisbane are currently doing Brisbane signed him for a low amount as a basically untried teenager now he's playing well above his reported pay package and they've gone look we want to give you more we're under paying you and for added security we want you here longer. Even though we are getting a bargain for the next couple years currently we don't need too but we want to do good by you.
The media is loving this and trying to make stories out of it by taking interviews and twisting them. I haven't seen Cams interview but it sounds like he's talking about the original contract and Payne signing long term for a lowish amount.

But this is what Brisbane are currently doing Brisbane signed him for a low amount as a basically untried teenager now he's playing well above his reported pay package and they've gone look we want to give you more we're under paying you and for added security we want you here longer. Even though we are getting a bargain for the next couple years currently we don't need too but we want to do good by you.
The media is loving this and trying to make stories out of it by taking interviews and twisting them. I haven't seen Cams interview but it sounds like he's talking about the original contract and Payne signing long term for a lowish amount.
No one ever mentions the fact it wasn’t low at the time though.

here is what Smith said:

Look I hate Smith as much as the next guy. But nothing he said there seems outlandish. A lot of it people on this very forum have said the exact same thing.

But yeah why not GET FUCKED SMITH.

here is what Smith said:

What would Smith know.

I can’t imagine boats from the Storm and diamond rings from the NRL were written into his contract?

He should shut his mouth. It has got nothing to do with him.

Never heard a peep out of him when he was here & now the fuckstick bitches about the Broncos all the time.

Never heard a peep out of him when he was here & now the fuckstick bitches about the Broncos all the time.
Can you share examples?

Even when he was at the Broncos, he spoke quite a bit. His thing is that he doesn’t always think before he speaks and gives fairly direct answers. ‘Reporters’ like Weidler know this and so they ask him leading/manipulating questions knowing that he will 99/100 give them the answer they want and so they can write the story they’ve already planned without context around the answers.

Think you forgot he was gagged following his barber incident

We need to stick to our guns contract dollar wise. Hes good, and will be great, but he cant be great at the cost of 1 or 2 other positions. He can take the long term offer of security and help build something, or go chase dollars elsewhere. Titans are literally fucked with their cap purely because of Fifi.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.