NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

It$ obviou$ to all and $undry, they are ju$t $uch a $toked bunch of player$, that'$ all there i$ to it, pure happine$$.
Of course Melbourne are above salary cap cheating, but what if hypothetically 10k Coles, Bunnings, eBay, Amazon and Uber gift cards were given to players after a win from rich people who have a stake in the club.

Now of course, I'd never imply this is happening, nor has it, but I wonder how the NRL polices that, if a rich person walking past just slips and the gift cards just by chance fall into the 4KG protein bucket assigned to star players.

So basically what the story is or was prior to the ikin interview "broncos sign player on incredibly smart and good value deal". But because its the bronco's its a stupid deal and its wrong to underpay the guy so much.

However the whole storm and roosters team sign for "incredibly smart and good value deals" and its a brilliant move and shows how far ahead of other clubs they are.

You just wait until Selwyn Cobbo lights the nrl up next year and Brisbane are "at risk of losing another young start as they refuse to open their checkbook". Meanwhile "broncos salary cap disaster as ageing undersized goal kicking half chews up 1 million dollars a year of cap space". Throw in a generic line about Brisbane refusing to pay 1.2 million a year for "superstar Fifita who scores 5 tries against worst defensive side in history in a match that means shit all" and you are all set.

I reckon i coild script the majority of next year's headlines right now.

I do wonder if the dogs were planning a raid. TPJ would be in his ear.

- They’re trying to find more cap space
- Gould recently was publicly carrying on about how he never underpays players and always upgrades their contracts. Then went on about how Burton will get a pay bump.

Makes me think they’re agitating Haas for a move to the dogs.

I do wonder if the dogs were planning a raid. TPJ would be in his ear.

- They’re trying to find more cap space
- Gould recently was publicly carrying on about how he never underpays players and always upgrades their contracts. Then went on about how Burton will get a pay bump.

Makes me think they’re agitating Haas for a move to the dogs.
If (huge if) Haas’ motivation is more about genuinely wanting to be a winner rather than just the money, not sure the Dogs should be on his radar.

They’ve gone super hard with their recruitment over the last few years and they’re still fucking terrible.

I’m almost certain Barrett is the worst coach in the NRL too, and by a long stretch.

If (huge if) Haas’ motivation is more about genuinely wanting to be a winner rather than just the money, not sure the Dogs should be on his radar.

They’ve gone super hard with their recruitment over the last few years and they’re still fucking terrible.

I’m almost certain Barrett is the worst coach in the NRL too, and by a long stretch.
I'm not saying he is good, but surely Nathan Brown gives him a run for worst coach?

I'm not saying he is good, but surely Nathan Brown gives him a run for worst coach?
Nah, I don’t think so. The Warriors have barely been home to their families in what, 2 years (or close enough to it)?

They’ve had a lot more to deal with than any other NRL club, and it’s pretty much all mental.

Brown certainly has his deficiencies as a coach, and the Warriors aren’t great, but they’re going OK. So I think Brown and his support staff deserve credit for keeping the players switched on and balanced in pretty trying times.

They’ve gone hard on their recruitment but most of the talent won’t arrive until next season. No surprise they haven’t seen any results from it yet.

They’ll have a decent squad next year, no doubt. Barrett isn’t a great coach though.

If we are upgrading him he should also upgrade his years to prove he wants to be here. Otherwise we're just going to go through this again in a few years.

Payne Haas number one two three says Tevita Pangai Jr:

“I feel like Payne's starting to get some good people around him and starting to get some good advice. It’s already pretty public what he's on. In my eyes, he’s a top three player in the competition and he should be getting paid what he’s delivering. He’s the Broncos’ most consistent player and their best player.”

“We left on good terms. I spoke with the chairman yesterday, he just messaged to check up on me because of what’s happened lately. It’s the same with the players, like Payne … he’s my brother. I didn’t win a premiership there, which I wanted to. There were a few years there where we had the team to do. We had exciting halves, a good forward pack and young players coming through."

“But it was mutual, I needed a change and they needed to fix their salary cap up and sign some more experienced and consistent players and they have done that. All the best to them.”

“I still feel like I have a couple of more gears but time will tell. We have a really good team that we are building at the Bulldogs. Matt Burton is coming, Brent Naden is coming as well. It has actually been good to spend some time with them before we head to the Bulldogs."

“But my focus is on this year and I’m a Penrith Panther to October. Before I came here my footy career was at a crossroads and I needed to be around a good system and a good team. I thought Penrith would be a good place to come. I’ve played against a lot of the players here in the juniors and could never beat them, so it’s good to be playing with them.”

McHunt

Payne Haas number one two three says Tevita Pangai Jr:

“I feel like Payne's starting to get some good people around him and starting to get some good advice. It’s already pretty public what he's on. In my eyes, he’s a top three player in the competition and he should be getting paid what he’s delivering. He’s the Broncos’ most consistent player and their best player.”

“We left on good terms. I spoke with the chairman yesterday, he just messaged to check up on me because of what’s happened lately. It’s the same with the players, like Payne … he’s my brother. I didn’t win a premiership there, which I wanted to. There were a few years there where we had the team to do. We had exciting halves, a good forward pack and young players coming through."

“But it was mutual, I needed a change and they needed to fix their salary cap up and sign some more experienced and consistent players and they have done that. All the best to them.”

“I still feel like I have a couple of more gears but time will tell. We have a really good team that we are building at the Bulldogs. Matt Burton is coming, Brent Naden is coming as well. It has actually been good to spend some time with them before we head to the Bulldogs."

“But my focus is on this year and I’m a Penrith Panther to October. Before I came here my footy career was at a crossroads and I needed to be around a good system and a good team. I thought Penrith would be a good place to come. I’ve played against a lot of the players here in the juniors and could never beat them, so it’s good to be playing with them.”

McHunt
So according to TPJ, Haas is a better player than at least one of Cleary, Turbo and Teddy if he considers him within the top 3 players.... he may even consider himself the no. 1 player in the league 🤔🤔🤔

Yeh well I do think it’s time Payne came out and defended the club that’s made him what he is today.
Just a word or two to the effect that “this club is on the up and I have no desire to leave here. We’re building towards a premiership and nothing else matters more to me than to pay this great club back for the faith they showed in me”. That will shut the weasel ears of the world up and the rest of the scheming pricks down south.

Yeh well I do think it’s time Payne came out and defended the club that’s made him what he is today.
Just a word or two to the effect that “this club is on the up and I have no desire to leave here. We’re building towards a premiership and nothing else matters more to me than to pay this great club back for the faith they showed in me”. That will shut the weasel ears of the world up and the rest of the scheming pricks down south.
Pretty sure he's already done that

Screenshot 20210902 123415 Chrome

Name them, Tevita.

Did he just admit he was overpaid and inconsistent?

Yep and clearly willing to pay that money back that he was admittedly not worthy of getting. Maybe I missed that.

Of course but it was well before this latest crapfest was unleashed.
I dont expect Haas to have to come out because a NSWRL germo has likely made up lies to get some clicks.

It's the same as last year when people got carried away about crap from NSWRL media and wanted the club to come out every 2 weeks and deny or release a statement.

That's what the NSWRL media want... a reaction... because then they can report on the reaction.

As of now they're still just trying to stretch out a 2 week old tweet from Wankler and asking his best mates if he should be earning more.

Haas has likely been muzzled by his management following that July interview anyway, because last time he spoke he gave the old "leaving it up to my manager... that's what he gets paid to do".

Timeline suggests:
- Broncos and Haas are working on an extension,
- Haas says he wants to stay for life,
- CM report that board have rubber stamped an extension, but likely not going to sign until end of season (ie. near November 1)
- Wankler comes out and says he hasn't signed anything (which had already been reported and is theoretically true) and insinuates "drama ahead"
- Broncos release a two line statement to water down misrepresentation from CM article and ease Haas camp
- Wankler and NSWRL create "drama" and talk to his mates

Nothing really to see except a whole bunch of wankers down in Shitney "reporting" on nothing because they're stuck in iso

I dont expect Haas to have to come out because a NSWRL germo has likely made up lies to get some clicks.

It's the same as last year when people got carried away about crap from NSWRL media and wanted the club to come out every 2 weeks and deny or release a statement.

That's what the NSWRL media want... a reaction... because then they can report on the reaction.

As of now they're still just trying to stretch out a 2 week old tweet from Wankler and asking his best mates if he should be earning more.

Haas has likely been muzzled by his management following that July interview anyway, because last time he spoke he gave the old "leaving it up to my manager... that's what he gets paid to do".

Timeline suggests:
- Broncos and Haas are working on an extension,
- Haas says he wants to stay for life,
- CM report that board have rubber stamped an extension, but likely not going to sign until end of season (ie. near November 1)
- Wankler comes out and says he hasn't signed anything (which had already been reported and is theoretically true) and insinuates "drama ahead"
- Broncos release a two line statement to water down misrepresentation from CM article and ease Haas camp
- Wankler and NSWRL create "drama" and talk to his mates

Nothing really to see except a whole bunch of wankers down in Shitney "reporting" on nothing because they're stuck in iso
You've summed it up well. Even if Haas absolutely intends to stay he's hardly likely to make a statement to that effect in the middle of contract negotiations. You won't win too many poker games by showing everyone your hand. Equally the Broncos are playing it pretty cool by saying they're in no rush as Haas is contracted until 2024. I imagine both Haas and the club would be keen to end all the speculation in the not too distant future but in the meantime we'll have to put up with some reporters peddling rubbish to pay their bills.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Broncs1459
  • whykickamoocow
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bish
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Wendall Taylor
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • Fatboy
  • ozzball
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • BroncosAlways
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.