NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

We're in great danger of becoming the next West Tigers: an avenue for players to blow out their contract value and no desire to actually play here.

When are we going to get the article from a former player who tells us that when Payne signed his contract he wasnt in the top forwards in the NRL and was being over payed based on potential.

This shit all sounds fishy to me. Filthy cockroaches undermining our club. Kick them all out.

All I can hope is that ikin and Double D know their way around these shinanigans. This has rich private owner sabotage written all over this thing.
Of course they do.. This isn't the rudderless rabble of 12 months ago. The club is in very different hands now.

I think we're all jumping at the shadows cast by media with space to fill and click targets to satisfy.

Funny how there is no direct quote used there eh.

Wiedler is simply stirring the pot. He could have spoken to TPJ and all he had to ask as a throw remark is "would you rate you friend Payne Haas in the top couple of forwards" all Tevita had to say was "yes" and Weazler had his headline. The rest he can make up if he's not writing it as a direct quote.

Settle down guys FFS. He'll sign in the off season.

All I can hope is that ikin and Double D know their way around these shinanigans. This has rich private owner sabotage written all over this thing.

If there is anything underhanded going on, i hope as a club we are strong enough to hold him to his contract and that means he stays here until the end of 2024. I'd love us to be the club that makes a stand on players doing this if its the case. If he doesnt want to play, let him waste the next 3 years at Wynnum.

I don't even know why we're discussing Haas contract now anyway. He's here until 2024 whether he likes it or not ffs. That's 3 whole years.

The problem is, this current NRL administration cares nothing about integrity or fairness, so if Payne does inevitably get the release the media are pushing for, watch him end up at the Roosters and all and sundry praise them for it.

Also, at the end of the day, nothing has been said from anyone, it is all being peddled by a journalist notorious for scoops' that are either fabricated or flat out laughed at. Remember Ben Teo's incident?

It is all much ado about nothing other than clearly some club trying to use Weidler to get to Payne. If he leaves, he leaves and it saves us a million dollars that would be better spent on the spine anyway. While we have no one in his class (no club does), we aren't exactly short on gun young forward talent.

The problem is, this current NRL administration cares nothing about integrity or fairness, so if Payne does inevitably get the release the media are pushing for, watch him end up at the Roosters and all and sundry praise them for it.

Also, at the end of the day, nothing has been said from anyone, it is all being peddled by a journalist notorious for scoops' that are either fabricated or flat out laughed at. Remember Ben Teo's incident?

It is all much ado about nothing other than clearly some club trying to use Weidler to get to Payne. If he leaves, he leaves and it saves us a million dollars that would be better spent on the spine anyway. While we have no one in his class (no club does), we aren't exactly short on gun young forward talent.

We are if Bull bails too

We are if Bull bails too

I think that was another load of made up rubbish but of course time will tell. Two things imply this to me, 1. He is named to start this week, doesn't seem like something you would do if he was moving on, 2. Lockyer spoke about him as one of the young kids the club is excited about moving forward just this week.

It’s the principle of it though and it’s degrading to our club if we lose him. It will snowball big time if it happens. Also their is no way roosters will pay that much, it will be 800 because he wants to take “unders”.

It’s the principle of it though and it’s degrading to our club if we lose him. It will snowball big time if it happens. Also their is no way roosters will pay that much, it will be 800 because he wants to take “unders”.

Of course it will be all of this but the NRL will not have any issue with us being screwed over.

As has been mentioned in one pretty insignificant article sadly, it would be great if the club used some third party sources to come out and talk about the fact the club took a punt on Haas when he was an injured, unproven first grader. It also isn't like he stands to be short changed, his salary goes up each year, so what if he had have gone the way of JYY, would he willingly give that money back? You bet nor he or his agent would.

Tavita, do you think Haas should be paid more?

Tevita (and anyone who’s watched a game of football): yes, I think so, he’s one of the best props in the game.

Weilder:
Season 1 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

SBW + Weidler = Nasser

Haas needs to be a professional and honour his contract. The contract was fair value when he signed but hindsight has made his manager look bad. Just suck it up Haas.

It's really no coincidence that TPJ started talking about SBW and then apparently came in and asked for an upgrade on top of his already 600k+ deal. We know he started looking around after it was denied and then he was allowed to leave. Now Payne is also in with SBW and his muslim convert TPJ and all of a sudden he is now supposedly unhappy with his contract.

The Broncos need to hold him to it and the NRL if it has any integrity, also need to hold him to it. If he leaves he can go to union and if he returns before 25 the Broncos need to not release him to any other club until it is done. He can sit out like Tallis did. The NRL is a farce if Payne is playing anywhere else in rugby league before 2025.

News Corp is "revealing" the Broncos quietly "rubber-stamped a mid-season pay rise" to Payne Haas of $200k back in April bumping his salary to $750k. This makes him currently the highest paid forward at the club. Once Mudfrog hops away, Haas and Reynolds will be the club's two richest players.

Ben Ikin:

“We have no concerns from our end with Payne Haas leaving the club. If Payne Haas is an unhappy player playing the way he currently is, I’d like to see his form when he is happy. We rate him very highly, he is an important part of our present and our future and we will do what we need to do to ensure he feels that and remains committed to the Broncos beyond his current contract."

“I am confident Payne will stay. Payne is a huge part of our planning, he is the guy we plan to build the team around, he knows that and we know that. It’s constantly communicated to him. We are very considerate of what the player wants. If someone of Payne’s quality wants to look at his future beyond this current contract, of course we will have that conversation with him."

“There is no time pressure on when we do a new deal for Payne. He is contracted until the end of 2024, so we don’t have to do this as a matter of urgency, but we will move forward with Payne at a rate that he feels comfortable with. Payne values the Broncos, he has stated it publicly and privately, he loves the club and that shows up every time he takes to the training paddock and wears the Broncos jersey week to week.”

McHunt

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.