NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If I was making a prototype footballer strictly physically you might be right but mental toughness is as important as talent even moreso because being capable and actually reaching that potential and delivereing that consistently are two very different things. It's why I would take the player who might be somewhat lesser in potential but better mentally over someone who is mentally weaker despite the talent they possess. It's why I don't lose sleep over Fifita leaving. I would have been more distressed if it had of been Haas because he has shown that he has that mental toughness towards his football both on and off the field.(though his no boy scout I must admit).

I have seen plenty of smaller less physical built players both in the forwards and the backs absolutely dominate their bigger counterparts frequently. One of the hardest and best resulting tackles that I have ever seen was from Trevor Gillmeister who through hard work and mental toughness cut down the biggest and the best on a regular basis despite his size, they didn't call him the axe for nothing.

I agree with you it's a shame he never reached that potential, but it takes more then potential to really deliver on the field.
That's why I said you would have to replace the Coaltrains head with Cooper Cronks!

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Nothing in there from Haas or agents, just the old fashioned 'It is believed that / It is understood that'
It is believed that wielder / it is understood that wielder.. seems like his trying to make a story out of it and dragging SBW into it for abit more click bait

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Nothing in there from Haas or agents, just the old fashioned 'It is believed that / It is understood that'
I think it's more like a rebuttal or opposing view to Weidler's article

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
These fuckers shouldnt sign contracts for so long if they dont want to stick to them. As much as i get they can be underpaid if they progress, i bet not one of them will take a reduction in salary if they underperform.
Could say the same to the club about Lodge, Tavita, Croft, Macca, Moose, Bird etc etc

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'm talking about Weidler's article, the guy has no sources so is just trying to make himself relevant but regardless, if Haas wants over a million, walk away and throw 800k at Tino.
my bad

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Could say the same to the club about Lodge, Tavita, Croft, Macca, Moose, Bird etc etc
Yep, totally agree. I don't see anything wrong with having a chat to any player to try to sort out contract issues. If everyone can come to an agreement then its fine. Contracts seem to mean nothing these days.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I find it hilarious that the titans have just re-sigbed about half a dozen "gun" rookies, and Mo, and nothing said about it until they were re-sigbed. No club was after them supposedly. Not one.... strange.... these clubs with rich private owners must run really good organisations. They always seem to have money, iim sure the mega rich private owners would play by the rules of the salary cap despite losses costing them millions more in the long run. Bcos that'd be smart business...

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Operation GET HIM TO THE ROOSTERS continues…
5514F433 A193 4597 AA45 25B2BC7203A7

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm so over this, if even half of this is true just pull the offer and he can **** off.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I'm so over this, if even half of this is true just pull the offer and he can **** off.
Exactly, no one player is bigger than the team, and this entitled attitude is what got us to where we are in the first place.
Positive changes have been made this year, and if there are players who are not on board, then they can leave, i dont care how good a player they are.

Obviously i hope this is not the case and its just media bullshit, but if not, then adios.

Unread

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • Locky24
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.