NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

And none of them got anywhere near the media cover Fifita/Coates got. At leasnt not to my recollection.

that's because QLD media cover the Broncos more. not to mention that as Broncos fans, we tend to ignore or not register reports about players that don't concern us (especially these days, since more and more people are losing interest in this sport in general. Thanks Vlandys)

Reynolds next move, in particular, was speculated daily for months

SJ got plenty of coverage

Burton had heaps of coverage

the Smith/Grant/Smith talk was constant over the off season.

He is one of my favourite and least favourite players at the same time. He just had everything and wasted what should have been a stellar career.
Yeh, as good as Haas is (and he is amazing), his upside is no where near what Taylor’s was.

Taylor kicked goals from the sideline for St. Brendan’s. Chip and chase, grubbers, soft hands, deft touches. He could do almost everything a half could do. He could also run lines like a centre and was just about as quick as them too. And when he wanted to, he could monster the opposition pack. We saw a lot of that in the NRL too, just not consistently.

He quite literally had everything. Well, everything except determination and dedication. Haas has that in spades.

If Haas won't take $6m for 6 years, then we should let him go. It's a good deal for the club (though I think it's slightly high) and a great long term deal for the player.
But you just can't pay a forward more than a mill, no matter how good they are, for the balance of the team.

If Haas won't take $6m for 6 years, then we should let him go. It's a good deal for the club (though I think it's slightly high) and a great long term deal for the player.
But you just can't pay a forward more than a mill, no matter how good they are, for the balance of the team.
So true. I we want to model the shape of our roster ala Storm then you dont pay props big money. There is no way Storm would do this. A good example of a quality prop which would suit or roster is Mark Nichols for example. 1m for a prop is madness. You could get Ponga for that.

Yeh, as good as Haas is (and he is amazing), his upside is no where near what Taylor’s was.

Taylor kicked goals from the sideline for St. Brendan’s. Chip and chase, grubbers, soft hands, deft touches. He could do almost everything a half could do. He could also run lines like a centre and was just about as quick as them too. And when he wanted to, he could monster the opposition pack. We saw a lot of that in the NRL too, just not consistently.

He quite literally had everything. Well, everything except determination and dedication. Haas has that in spades.
You can have all the talent in the world, but without the right attitude and willingness to put in the hard yards both on and off the field it means little especially longterm when the road gets more bumpy and things aren't always going to go your way, Milford is a good example of what happens when the going gets tough. Bennett made it pretty clear how much of a basketcase Taylor was to deal with from a coaching perspective and it reflected with his time at other clubs.

Haas may not be as gifted in the ballskills department(then again it's hard to demonstrate them when your not even attempting to capitalise on the opportunities that definitely exist), but I know his got far more drive and determination then Taylor ever had and has had to carry the Broncos forward pack in a side without the luxuries of past Broncos sides including Taylor.

You can have all the talent in the world, but without the right attitude and willingness to put in the hard yards both on and off the field it means little especially longterm when the road gets more bumpy and things aren't always going to go your way, Milford is a good example of what happens when the going gets tough. Bennett made it pretty clear how much of a basketcase Taylor was to deal with from a coaching perspective and it reflected with his time at other clubs.

Haas may not be as gifted in the ballskills department(then again it's hard to demonstrate them when your not even attempting to capitalise on the opportunities that definitely exist), but I know his got far more drive and determination then Taylor ever had and has had to carry the Broncos forward pack in a side without the luxuries of past Broncos sides including Taylor.
I think it’s fair to say Haas is probably already in the top 50 props to ever play the game, or very rapidly getting there. He has been so consistently good it’s scary.

But as @Kimlo said, if you wanted to build a prototype front rower, it would be Taylor. That is no slight on Haas either, as he is a freak in his own right. But Taylor was capable of doing everything Haas could, but Haas is not capable of doing everything Taylor could. Getting Big Dave to do it was the problem.

I’m no expert, but honestly, Taylor is the most gifted footballer I’ve ever seen. There was literally nothing he couldn’t do. Well, except apply himself.

If only he played in the less structured football of the 80’s, when training wasn’t so intense and blokes had durries hanging out their mouth straight after the game. He could have been an immortal, a 120kg hybrid of Wally, Meninga and Beetson all rolled into one.

But instead he’s just another what-if, which is very sad for all football fans.

I think it’s fair to say Haas is probably already in the top 50 props to ever play the game, or very rapidly getting there. He has been so consistently good it’s scary.

But as @Kimlo said, if you wanted to build a prototype front rower, it would be Taylor. That is no slight on Haas either, as he is a freak in his own right. But Taylor was capable of doing everything Haas could, but Haas is not capable of doing everything Taylor could. Getting Big Dave to do it was the problem.

I’m no expert, but honestly, Taylor is the most gifted footballer I’ve ever seen. There was literally nothing he couldn’t do. Well, except apply himself.

If only he played in the less structured football of the 80’s, when training wasn’t so intense and blokes had durries hanging out their mouth straight after the game. He could have been an immortal, a 120kg hybrid of Wally, Meninga and Beetson all rolled into one.

If Taylor played without the pressure of expectation that current professional footy has he wouldn’t have been 120kg lol

that's because QLD media cover the Broncos more. not to mention that as Broncos fans, we tend to ignore or not register reports about players that don't concern us (especially these days, since more and more people are losing interest in this sport in general. Thanks Vlandys)

Reynolds next move, in particular, was speculated daily for months

SJ got plenty of coverage

Burton had heaps of coverage

the Smith/Grant/Smith talk was constant over the off season.
I lived in Sydney 5 years ago. I assure you, brisbane signing/not signing and negative stories about the Broncos in general get far, far more coverage down there then their signings get up here in Brisbane. It's not even a competition. The fifita story was huge down there, despite no Sydney team being involved and him signing for the least popular team in Sydney, my mates down there filled me in on it every day with "updates" I didn't even know about lol

If I was making a prototype footballer strictly physically you might be right but mental toughness is as important as talent even moreso because being capable and actually reaching that potential and delivereing that consistently are two very different things. It's why I would take the player who might be somewhat lesser in potential but better mentally over someone who is mentally weaker despite the talent they possess. It's why I don't lose sleep over Fifita leaving. I would have been more distressed if it had of been Haas because he has shown that he has that mental toughness towards his football both on and off the field.(though his no boy scout I must admit).

I have seen plenty of smaller less physical built players both in the forwards and the backs absolutely dominate their bigger counterparts frequently. One of the hardest and best resulting tackles that I have ever seen was from Trevor Gillmeister who through hard work and mental toughness cut down the biggest and the best on a regular basis despite his size, they didn't call him the axe for nothing.

I agree with you it's a shame he never reached that potential, but it takes more then potential to really deliver on the field.

Its honestly so hard to put a price tag on a player like Haas because he's not going to kick the winning field goal, he's not going to steer the team around the park and be that game manager or be leading the try assists and score freakish tries every week but without a player like him in the side your less likely to achieve those things every week.
In saying that for a million a year you could probably get 2 decent forwards that would combine to do the same job as Haas but finding those 2 who are consistent every week is another battle.
If you could partner Haas with a good forward on 200 a year then the 1 mil is absolutely worth it.
a good forward for 200 a year but 2 x 500 a year are going to be inconsistent? that logic seems a bit bias to me....

TBH I dont think haas at 1mil a year is terrible - but imo it still seems high and a bit in the players favour, I dont see many other clubs paying that much for him (maybe the tigers would as they will take any decent player taking their money).

The strengths of haas is:-
- unlike a lot of other well paid middles he is on the field alot
- defends very well in his corridor
- gets good yards for his hit ups.
- seems to find his chest for a fast ptb most of the time.

weaknesses (and i say this for a prop played 1 mill)
- doesn't have the same sort of aggression - damaging hit / run in him that other really top middles have. Can be game turning every once in a while.
- doesn't find the try line much.

For me I wouldnt have given tuamalolo 1 mil a season - but he would have gone the closes especially given his form at the time of the contract... but yeah, he is up there..

I get the feeling if the broncos were going better they may have either gotten a better price or passed at that price point. for middles but 1 mill a season is a lot.

Fucking managers.

FFS, how could he be unhappy with signing the richest deal ever offered to a teenager. one that scales up assuming he becomes the best prop in the comp.

if for some reason he didn't hit the heights expected of him the club is stuck with paying elite money (in the latter years) to a flop

$BW influence right there

FFS, how could he be unhappy with signing the richest deal ever offered to a teenager. one that scales up assuming he becomes the best prop in the comp.

if for some reason he didn't hit the heights expected of him the club is stuck with paying elite money (in the latter years) to a flop

$BW influence right there
Nothing would surprise me more if the roosters are in sbw’s ear to parrot some bs to haas to somehow get him out of his contract and pounce.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Battler
  • Ondi
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.