NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

So we have a player on unders and we’re *****, we have players on massive overs were useless as a club.

cool I see how this works.
It’s the same for every club nowadays.. there’s no such thing as a ‘good deal’ for an NRL club, or at least not for very long, because as soon as a player and or their manager starts hearing the the chatter about how that player is a bargain buy & delivering value for money, they agitate for an upgrade

I'd be happy to keep him but then again, if he decides he wants to play somewhere else, then I will be happy with that too. The top clubs don't just sign blokes on ridiculous salaries. You look at the top 4-5 teams currently (with the exception of Manly who are absolutely getting carried by DCE and Turbo), they don't sign players on massive deals. They let them go and back their development.

It fails more times than it doesn't in regards to signing blokes on that sort of money, you could nearly go through every team and name 1-2 genuinely overpaid players who have not lived up to their price tag and as a result that club is struggling. I hope they are smart here and don't throw the bank at him based on what is happening right now.

He's a great prop, probably the best in the league. He can't win us games on his own though and that has to be taken into consideration.

It's hard to gauge what Haas is worth, the best props in the game are on 750 to 900k but Haas is the best in the competition and on another planet in consistency as well, he is atleast as good as Peak Taumalolo(and I don't think we have seen the best of him yet).

People saying max 800k are not being realistic here but 1 million doesn't feel right too for a non Spine player(atleast where the cap is now, once it grows I'll have no problem), somewhere in between is where he belongs.

Do we get a discount on him though, since he is a youth player through our system?

Love how the headline says that 'Haas set to follow in SBW footsteps', but then the only thing in the article that has any link is that Haas is looking to sack his manager (who was the same manager the SBW sacked).

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about SBW talking to Haas.

His manager has contacted the Broncos to put talks on hold, because it sounds like Haas is trying to sack him. Sounds like a big blow up by a scummy journalist to me.

Love how the headline says that 'Haas set to follow in SBW footsteps', but then the only thing in the article that has any link is that Haas is looking to sack his manager (who was the same manager the SBW sacked).

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about SBW talking to Haas.

His manager has contacted the Broncos to put talks on hold, because it sounds like Haas is trying to sack him. Sounds like a big blow up by a scummy journalist to me.

Couple of things:

First, that WWOS piece was pretty much cribbed from Weidler's column in the SMH, which took what we knew about Payne and his manager from Dobbo and coloured in the background with a reference to what SBW did many years ago when he hit the bigtime:

Second - stop me if you've heard this before- but journalists don't write the headlines. If your issue with a story is the headline being misleading or "clickbait" you're barking up the wrong tree blaming the author. Someone else wrote that.

But wait there's more: Weidler went one further and scavenged a quote from SBW:

“There is no question Payne is a forward of the highest class – I don’t know if I have seen a prop do what he does in every facet of the game. And he does it at 21 [years of age]. If you could design a front-rower from scratch, it is him. He should be remunerated at the same level as the highest-paid players in the game and there would be no one who has seen him play who could possibly argue with that.“

Now we all know Weidler loves nothing more than sucking his own ****, but there's nothing particularly scummy in this story. Well nothing we hadn't heard before.

Couple of things:

First, that WWOS piece was pretty much cribbed from Weidler's column in the SMH, which took what we knew about Payne and his manager from Dobbo and coloured in the background with a reference to what SBW did many years ago when he hit the bigtime:

Second - stop me if you've heard this before- but journalists don't write the headlines. If your issue with a story is the headline being misleading or "clickbait" you're barking up the wrong tree blaming the author. Someone else wrote that.

But wait there's more: Weidler went one further and scavenged a quote from SBW:

“There is no question Payne is a forward of the highest class – I don’t know if I have seen a prop do what he does in every facet of the game. And he does it at 21 [years of age]. If you could design a front-rower from scratch, it is him. He should be remunerated at the same level as the highest-paid players in the game and there would be no one who has seen him play who could possibly argue with that.“

Now we all know Weidler loves nothing more than sucking his own ****, but there's nothing particularly scummy in this story. Well nothing we hadn't heard before.

If i could design a front rower from scratch, it would be Dave Taylor but i'd chop his head off and replace it with Cooper Cronks. Then you would have got easily the best forward to have ever played the game.

Regardless what is or isnt true, all this noise around his contract is not a good sign.
When has noise around a contract worked in our favor in recent times, aside from Staggs?

I hate being an alarmist, but i cant help but feel uneasy about the whole thing.
I know we have got Haas locked down for another couple of seasons, but all this talk is getting me wondering if Haas wants out as it is playing out very similar to the Fifita saga.

You know what all this means right?
Means he is probably leaving.

This sort of shit doesn't happen with players that stay.

Yeah it does. Happened when Bennett was sacked and it’s happened many many times over the years at lots of other clubs.

This whole thread reads like a jealous womans thought process.

Tracing things to the worst possible outcome, and getting worked up over imagined scenarios that havent or wont happen.
Except its more like some stranger (journalists) is telling you that she is cheating on you.
So there is reason for doubt.

I hate the fact there is all this noise around Haas contract when he still has 3 fucking seasons left.

Yeah it does. Happened when Bennett was sacked and it’s happened many many times over the years at lots of other clubs.
Example?
I mean in recent history, with just our club, there was lots of noise around Fifita's contract and he left, same with Coates, same with Dearden.

I keep looking at clubs like the Roosters and the Storm and they seem to completely avoid all the contract/media drama and their stars all stay for the most part.
Even when their big names leave, like Addo-carr,/Hynes etc, its reported for a day then its finalized and everyone moves on.
None of this back and forth speculation/manager drama/unhappy with the club talk.

He's got three years to go. If he wants an upgrade, he also agrees to an extension. If he wants to agitate for a release, so be it, he's contracted. If he does an SBW and runs away and the NRL allow him to register somewhere else, they lose almost all Broncos supporters. This all seems much ado about nothing.

At the end of the day, regardless of how good he is (and he is really, really, really good), he's still a forward and forwards are not where your million dollar players should be. If he wants a million or more, we say thanks but no thanks. There has to be something in it for the club for him to be extended, otherwise why do it?

He's got three years to go. If he wants an upgrade, he also agrees to an extension. If he wants to agitate for a release, so be it, he's contracted. If he does an SBW and runs away and the NRL allow him to register somewhere else, they lose almost all Broncos supporters. This all seems much ado about nothing.

At the end of the day, regardless of how good he is (and he is really, really, really good), he's still a forward and forwards are not where your million dollar players should be. If he wants a million or more, we say thanks but no thanks. There has to be something in it for the club for him to be extended, otherwise why do it?
Its honestly so hard to put a price tag on a player like Haas because he's not going to kick the winning field goal, he's not going to steer the team around the park and be that game manager or be leading the try assists and score freakish tries every week but without a player like him in the side your less likely to achieve those things every week.
In saying that for a million a year you could probably get 2 decent forwards that would combine to do the same job as Haas but finding those 2 who are consistent every week is another battle.
If you could partner Haas with a good forward on 200 a year then the 1 mil is absolutely worth it.

Example?
I mean in recent history, with just our club, there was lots of noise around Fifita's contract and he left, same with Coates, same with Dearden.

I keep looking at clubs like the Roosters and the Storm and they seem to completely avoid all the contract/media drama and their stars all stay for the most part.
Even when their big names leave, like Addo-carr,/Hynes etc, its reported for a day then its finalized and everyone moves on.
None of this back and forth speculation/manager drama/unhappy with the club talk.

People seem to forget the TPJ contract situation and how long that dragged out. The Anthony Milford contract situation was very similar, even going down to tour the Melbourne facilities.

As for Roosters and Storm. They have had their fare share of contract negotiations carrying on with speculation over whether the player is going to stay or not. Just look at the Brandon Smith situation for example and that's still going on. One minute he's asking for a release, the next he isn't. One minute he's happy and staying at the club, the next he wants out because he wants to be starting hooker.

Cameron Smith's last deal, there was constant speculation about the club and Smith fighting each other over the terms of the deal. Neither party were happy with the terms being presented by each side.

It happens at every club. Even the top ones.

Example?

some examples just off the top of my head, i'm sure if i actually thought about it i could come up with many more:

Storm: Cam Smith/Harry Grant/Brandon Smith; JAC; Hynes; Finucane
Roosters: SST/Manu; Suaalii tug of war with Souths
Souths: Reynolds; Suaalii tug of war with Roosters
Panthers: Burton tug of war with Bulldogs
Tigers: Mbye/Luke Brooks
Bulldogs: Hethrington; Burton tug of war with Panthers (sponsors even gave their 2 cents on this one)
Sharks: SJ; Moylan
Knights: Watson; on-going Ponga speculation

If i could design a front rower from scratch, it would be Dave Taylor but i'd chop his head off and replace it with Cooper Cronks. Then you would have got easily the best forward to have ever played the game.
I don’t know about forward but it would be the best half back that’s played the game.

some examples just off the top of my head, i'm sure if i actually thought about it i could come up with many more:

Storm: Cam Smith/Harry Grant/Brandon Smith; JAC; Hynes; Finucane
Roosters: SST/Manu; Suaalii tug of war with Souths
Souths: Reynolds; Suaalii tug of war with Roosters
Panthers: Burton tug of war with Bulldogs
Tigers: Mbye/Luke Brooks
Bulldogs: Hethrington; Burton tug of war with Panthers (sponsors even gave their 2 cents on this one)
Sharks: SJ; Moylan
Knights: Watson; on-going Ponga speculation
And none of them got anywhere near the media cover Fifita/Coates got. At leasnt not to my recollection.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.