Haas - Off Field Dramas

This is exactly how Scott Sattler described it on radio tonight - a shot across the bow. Also, he intimated that the family thing is pretty commonly known in lower grade circles and some of the family are even banned from Suncorp apparently, according to him.

They must be pretty bad if they got banned from Suncorp. The family of a certain former center of ours who recently started boxing used to sit behind me andwere shocking with their behaviour and I didn't see them banned.

They must be pretty bad if they got banned from Suncorp. The family of a certain former center of ours who recently started boxing used to sit behind me andwere shocking with their behaviour and I didn't see them banned.

You should have heard them in Toowoomba for his first trial back when all the fans were giving him hell. They were feral.

I'm impressed with Haas's response, and I really hope it is genuine. At the same time I'm concerned that he's surrounded by family and friends who appear to be a bad influence. I'm definitely not in the family trumps all camp, I'm afraid, but I think enough has been cordially and eruditely said about that in this thread already...

The punishment might seem harsh, but hopefully it's precisely as steep as it needs to be to teach Haas and his teammates the lesson the club wants them to learn, and with luck it will pay dividends in years to come with incidents that we don't hear about, and not because the club has swept them under the rug (as some would seem to prefer), but because they never happened at all.

Besides, it's four games at the start of the year. Gives him four more games of running at the back end of an overlong season, and that's no bad thing.

The 4 game and $20k fine is to set a precedent. It has nothing to do with what actually occured, it will become a precedent for what will occur for players that don't cooperate with the Integrity Unit. I do think 4 games is pretty harsh, but I think the 2 trial games count, so it's really just 2 games?

It's basically to show that people need to cooperate and if they don't, they will have a pretty severe punishment. If he cooperated I imagine there would have been no ban at all because from all reports, he wasn't involved. This is essentially there to reduce the chance of players refusing to cooperate if they know other players have done something wrong (Dylan Napa sex tapes etc).

The 4 game and $20k fine is to set a precedent. It has nothing to do with what actually occured, it will become a precedent for what will occur for players that don't cooperate with the Integrity Unit. I do think 4 games is pretty harsh, but I think the 2 trial games count, so it's really just 2 games?

It's basically to show that people need to cooperate and if they don't, they will have a pretty severe punishment. If he cooperated I imagine there would have been no ban at all because from all reports, he wasn't involved. This is essentially there to reduce the chance of players refusing to cooperate if they know other players have done something wrong (Dylan Napa sex tapes etc).

On that, maybe it's strategic by the Broncos, not just for our players, but towards other clubs.

We're a pretty clean club. Shit can happen, and has, but Bennett was strict and Seibold seems to be too. There are plenty of clubs that don't have a no-dickheads policy. And have constantly got away with picking off other clubs' sacked players for cheap. This raises the bar not just for our players, but for players of other clubs, and you'll think now that there are a few clubs that are a bit worried.

On that, maybe it's strategic by the Broncos, not just for our players, but towards other clubs.

We're a pretty clean club. Shit can happen, and has, but Bennett was strict and Seibold seems to be too. There are plenty of clubs that don't have a no-dickheads policy. And have constantly got away with picking off other clubs' sacked players for cheap. This raises the bar not just for our players, but for players of other clubs, and you'll think now that there are a few clubs that are a bit worried.

Not just other other clubs, but the NRL in general. How pathetic does Greg Inglis's 2 game suspension for mid-range dui look now.

You should have heard them in Toowoomba for his first trial back when all the fans were giving him hell. They were feral.

Feral doesn't really begin to describe them really!

Heard Hadley on the radio this morning saying there is more to it than has been reported, but didn't elaborate any further.

Heard Hadley on the radio this morning saying there is more to it than has been reported, but didn't elaborate any further.
I hate that kind of reporting. It leaves itself open to all types of connection.
This feels a lot like last year when everyone was in the dark about the Bennet saga. It seems to be the new norm. The "trust us we'll let Joe public know what he needs to know" sort of response by the club.
I know we always have been kept in the dark to some extent, but it was always couched with "players welfare" or some other statement. Lately, club statements seem to be responses to "gotcha" reports in the media of one scandal or another.
I wish they would at least try to take these events on the front foot. It leaves it open to all kinds of innuendo.

Such a stupid comment that commentators and reporters say, 'there's more to it but I'll leave it at that.'

I mean, OF COURSE there's more to it, everyone knows that and saying stuff like that doesn't mean he knows any more or less than any Joe Average.

It's done. I'm looking forward to seeing whoever takes his place on the bench given the depth we possess in the forwards.

Let's see if the NRL and IU do something about other players who have been 'active' in the off season. There's a couple off the top of my head whose playing NRL will bring the integrity of the game into question.

I'm not fucking arguing about whether the Dragons/NRL after correct for letting JDB play ... This is about using the Dragons lack of disciplinary action as a reason that we were wrong in handing down the penalties to Haas ...

The Dragons lack of balls is not something to a aspire to...
NRL should be forcing Dragons to sit him out, and shut the doors to their operations to him

NRL should be forcing Dragons to sit him out, and shut the doors to their operations to him

Can't find it, but they have documentation from the AOC about when they sat someone down. The article strongly hinted that there is a meeting this week for moving forward, and it also hinted that JDB would be sitting down if they get it through the ARL or whoever.

Can't find it, but they have documentation from the AOC about when they sat someone down. The article strongly hinted that there is a meeting this week for moving forward, and it also hinted that JDB would be sitting down if they get it through the ARL or whoever.

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates has handed over a dossier of relevant material from the Nick D’Arcy case to the NRL as rugby league considers following his organisation's lead by choosing to ban participants who have been charged with serious criminal offences.
The Australian Rugby League Commission is in the process of reviewing its disciplinary policy after vowing to come down harder on players who tarnish its brand. The game’s ultimate decision, to be delivered at next Thursday’s annual general meeting, will have implications for Jack de Belin, as officials weigh up whether to stand him down despite the fact he has pleaded not guilty to aggravated sexual assault.
4959a07b65738906d19bfc1e943ad3e3bb416f0c

AOC President John Coates has shared the Nick D'Arcy files with the NRL.Credit:Matt King
The AOC has the power to ban athletes charged with offences akin to the one de Belin is facing. In 2008, swimmer D’Arcy was cut from the Olympic team to Beijing after being charged with assault occasioning grievous bodily harm. The decision withstood two appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport after it was ultimately determined the AOC’s by-laws empowered it to suspend D’Arcy.
The issue was brought to the fore by lawyer Darren Kane in a column he wrote for the Herald on Saturday, piquing the NRL’s interest in the D’Arcy case. Coates has passed on the case files and amended by-laws to NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, chief operating officer Nick Weeks and ARLC chairman Peter Beattie to consider.
“Ultimately, they need to sit down and say, ‘Do we want to do this’?” Coates told the Herald.
“I sent them the two CAS cases in full and I referred them to the Australian Olympic Committee website for what we call the team membership agreement and ethical behaviour by-law. Then I extracted the new clauses and put that in a note.
“You have to give an athlete a right to appear, a right to be heard, a right to appeal. That was done in D’Arcy cases, that’s why they are relevant. I gave him notice of what was planned, I gave him an opportunity to respond, terminated and then he appealed, twice.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...over-d-arcy-files-to-nrl-20190220-p50z4g.html

Watch the Players Association throw the toys out of the cot because they know the NRL won't want to take the heat.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Financeguy
  • bb_gun
  • Wolfie
  • Spoon
  • Brocko
  • leon.bott
  • Bucking Beads
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Johnny92
  • HarryAllan7
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.