Halves situation

I'd prefer Milf if he's willing to drop down to ~800k. He's still our best half, one of the best kickers in the game atm and just needs players running support when he does his mini breaks.

Milf is a flop. No two ways about it. He sucks, and he's one of the laziest players I think the Broncos have ever employed.

Croft's kicking has me worried, but if he can work out how to organise that rabble out there, then whatever, don't care, put the number 6 job in the weekend paper.

Best kickers in the game?!!?!?!

Yeah, most of his kicks tend to be when we're being hammed in our own half and failing to produce meters. His torpedo bombs are massive, his ability to land a 40/20 is up there. He's up there with field goal reliability.

He just needs to improve his short kicking game a touch, and look for touch to give us a breather more often after defending multi-sets.

He's exactly the kind of kicker we can spam Coates with.

Yeah, most of his kicks tend to be when we're being hammed in our own half and failing to produce meters. His torpedo bombs are massive, his ability to land a 40/20 is up there. He's up there with field goal reliability.

He just needs to improve his short kicking game a touch, and look for touch to give us a breather more often after defending multi-sets.

He's exactly the kind of kicker we can spam Coates with.

I agree with you. Att he same time I reckon his short kicking game is pretty good too, behind the line, save for the butter fingered Boyd on one occasion.

Can I ask people, what do you think Crofts skillset is as a half?

To balance the cynicism of certain esteemed posters here, I would say:

1. Looks pretty
2. Really quick off the mark, good step, and, really quick over 20m from dummy half and in general play - sizes up the opportunity and takes it fast.
2 ½ : takes on the line a lot with his speed off the mark - pity doesn't have much support
3. Decent passing game
4. Looks pretty
5. Good tackling technique
6. Looks pretty

What needs work: game management, goes into his shell when the chips are down, but then, so does the rest of the team

Last edited:

1. Looks pretty
2. Really quick off the mark, good step, and, really quick over 20m from dummy half and in general play - sizes up the opportunity and takes it fast.
2 ½ : takes on the line a lot with his speed off the mark - pity doesn't have much support
3. Decent passing game
4. Looks pretty
6. Looks pretty

What needs work: game management, goes into his shell when the chips are down, but then, so does the rest of the team
I was hopeful when he signed but now I'm coming around to the idea that Bellamy is justifiably laughing at the Broncos.

1. Cares about his haircut more than playing well.
2. May be true but I guess much more often than not, the opposition knows he is going to run 5 minutes before he does it and thus, he almost never breaks the line.
3. Serves up hospital passes much more often than he puts teammates into gaps.
4. If he is overpaid and over here, who cares what he looks like?
5. Misses a lot of tackles but to his credit, tries hard.
6. Not as handsome as @rnabokov

I'm death riding him a little. Still early days. He may well tun out to be an excellent buy and more handsome than @rnabokov
[automerge]1592387886[/automerge]
The Titans will make room for Milf.
I'm thinking Taylors passing game could compliment Milfords running game perfectly.

Last edited:
Milf is a flop. No two ways about it. He sucks, and he's one of the laziest players I think the Broncos have ever employed.

Croft's kicking has me worried, but if he can work out how to organise that rabble out there, then whatever, don't care, put the number 6 job in the weekend paper.

Unfortunately I’ve got to agree with you.
He’s a flop that had a couple of good seasons, he’s not a up and comer that needs time to develop or experience anymore and he can no longer hide behind that.
We’ve been through multiple 7’s and they have all copped the brunt of his laziness and poor attitude. time to start looking

I wanted to offload Milford two years ago! His tackling makes Boyd look like a hitman. Milford has been an uncommitted turnstile for so many years yet people are prepared to forgive his 6 or 7 tackle misses a game. I'd put up with it if he was a try scoring freak who also set up multiple trys for others but he has been miserable for years.

I'd happily put Sam Tagatese in his place! He'd offer the same potential points but much better defence!!! Yes, in this scenario please replace Taga with any tacklebot you care to name. Milford is finished and finally I think some are waking up to that fact. He's counting his cash, doing just enough and that's not good enough. I hope he's dropped soon. I also hope he makes me look utterly clueless tomorrow night.

I wanted to offload Milford two years ago! His tackling makes Boyd look like a hitman. Milford has been an uncommitted turnstile for so many years yet people are prepared to forgive his 6 or 7 tackle misses a game. I'd put up with it if he was a try scoring freak who also set up multiple trys for others but he has been miserable for years.

I'd happily put Sam Tagatese in his place! He'd offer the same potential points but much better defence!!! Yes, in this scenario please replace Taga with any tacklebot you care to name. Milford is finished and finally I think some are waking up to that fact. He's counting his cash, doing just enough and that's not good enough. I hope he's dropped soon. I also hope he makes me look utterly clueless tomorrow night.

I appreciate your opinions however please get your stats right.

The most tackles Milford missed has been 4 in 2 matches and he was in good company there on both sides.

The other 3 matches he missed 3, 3 and 2 IIRC.

I get you don't like Milf, however don't make him into something he's not. The club has been great at that for years

I appreciate your opinions however please get your stats right.

The most tackles Milford missed has been 4 in 2 matches and he was in good company there on both sides.

The other 3 matches he missed 3, 3 and 2 IIRC.

I get you don't like Milf, however don't make him into something he's not. The club has been great at that for years
Mmmmm, okay. Perhaps I exaggerated it a little but I was sure I'd read he missed 7 just recently. That could have been a two game total. Nevertheless it has been the norm for Millionford to miss lot's of tackles and he's been an arm grabber since he arrived in Brisbane.

Mmmmm, okay. Perhaps I exaggerated it a little but I was sure I'd read he missed 7 just recently. That could have been a two game total. Nevertheless it has been the norm for Millionford to miss lot's of tackles and he's been an arm grabber since he arrived in Brisbane.

It’s not just the quantity though. It’s when and where he misses them that often cost us points. I’d like I see the stats on how many points are being scored through our left edge defense through Boyd and Milford.
They’re a rabble

Last edited:

1. Looks pretty
3. Decent passing game
4. Looks pretty
6. Looks pretty

Sounds like a good 9

Speaking of tackling technique anyone else noticed how horrible Boyd’s has become when he actually attempts a tackle? I noticed several times last game he would charge into a prone or moving player and tuck his head under while wrapping up their ankles. It doesn’t do much to wrap the ball up and looks as though he is risking serious neck injury.

Well, I have seen Milford miss as many tackles as a few other highly regarded Broncos, as well as other highly regarded players from other teams, yet I have also seen him defend really well. I guess 2 things come to my mind about this. First, our porous edge defence is largely a structural issue that we seriously need to fix quickly, and second, that Milford is understandably a disappointment given what we saw from him early in his time here however, for mine, that is because he hasn't had too much support around him to show his best.

As others have posted here, I reckon put him in the Roosters side and he would carve up opposition defences better than Keary and defend just as well.

As for arm grabbing, yes, he has done a bit of that, but again, so have a lot of his team mates, something that Ryan will sort out. Hopefully.

There is nothing more disappointing than a failed messiah, except being made one in the first place.
[automerge]1592432716[/automerge]
It’s not just the quantity though. It’s when and where he misses them that often cost us points. I’d like I see the stats on how many points are being scored through our left edge defense through Boyd and Milford.
They’re a rabble

See above

Last edited:
Milf is what he is. He'll never be that consistently dominant player I'm sure we all wished he would become, but rather someone with a ton of ability who will flash it now and then, generally when the cards are all in our favour. He's not someone who's going to grab his team by the scruff of the neck and drag them to victory. Arguably he doesn't need to be, but for the price he's being payed right now, and the investment made in him over the last five years, he probably should be.

I was happy with the Croft signing, and I think he's shown promising signs since he got here, without setting the world on fire. Like a few others I'd like to see him (and Milf as well) playing behind a full strength team. I also think there's value in his having come from a team with a strong culture, quality coaching, and prime examples of game managing players to learn from. All three of those things are lacking in our club. Whether he can translate what he's learned there is yet to be seen, but he deserves the opportunity to try.

I rate Dearden and was impressed by his efforts last year, and I hope that he is the future of the Broncos, but throwing a teenager into this team and asking him to be the organising half isn't the answer, unless the question is, 'How are the Broncos going to ruin another promising young half?' If we had a wily veteran half he could learn from, I'd be okay with him coming in to a starting role, but we don't have that right now. I would like to see him come onto the bench, though, and start getting minutes at half or five-eighth, with either Croft or Milf moving to hooker (or just plain hooked if they deserve it), especially without the lower grades available.

Unfortunately our future in the halves seems far from set at this point, but hopefully some combination of these three stand up and establish themselves as the long term solution.

He's up there with field goal reliability.

Don't agree on this about Milf, especially if he is under pressure. I can only remember one field goal he got under pressure which was against Cowboys 2016. After that, I don't recall any good ones.

I remember Kahu had to float in from the wing to slot a few field goals because our halves couldn't get it done and now it's Issako having to make them. Only time I see Milf land one is if we're up by a lot or if if it's in the first half and not expected.

Active Now

• AscotinOz
  • NSW stables
  • Splinter
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Brocko
  • bb_gun
  • MrMoore
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.