Halves situation

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
If we’d have won the GF, he would have been the messiah given his performance that year. Maybe he’s just had rubbish coaching too?

He needs to step but but saying he’s failed is a bit far. Too expensive? Yes. Terrible signing? No. Your alternative would have been Hunt and Taylor - hows that working out...
He hasn't won shit Caniffe, and hanging on to that 2015 non glory is not good for you. That is ancient history and it isn't even good history. Judge in the now.

Caniffe

NRL Player
I’m happy to hang onto 2015. Great footy, good weekends all year. Perhaps the problem is we are missing Parker Hodgo and Gillo so suddenly everyone else had to do some work

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Although this halves combination looks untenable, I feel like Dearden is our best option at halfback at the club.

Just worried playing him in this scenario might effect him long term negatively, but it might also be the making of him.

kooly87

NRL Player
If we’d have won the GF, he would have been the messiah given his performance that year. Maybe he’s just had rubbish coaching too?

He needs to step up but but saying he’s failed is a bit far. Too expensive? Yes. Terrible signing? No. Your alternative would have been Hunt and Taylor - hows that working out...
Hunt would without question be more useful to us than Milford right now.

A Halves combination of Dearden and Croft being guided by an experienced and fairly skillful Dummy Half in Ben Hunt would almost certainly be asking more questions of the opposition defence than our current setup.

Hunt might have proved a proper dud as a Halfback, but he's actually a pretty dangerous Dummy Half, and that's when he's just playing the role part time - let alone what he could do if he made the change a permanent one.

If all options were on the table I'd ideally take Harry Grant, but failing that, I would have little hesitation in swapping Milford for Hunt with the Dragons.

Last edited:

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Now the media is starting to say that Croft should be dropped for Dearden and this is the week we should do it playing a severely understrength Warriors team.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
how many who said we shouldn't sign Mitchell Moses are now wishing we did.
Yeah for sure but I’m almost certain he wouldn’t be going as well as he wouldn’t be the one running the team and would have zero structure or effort from others to work with. At least he’d rip into these hacks masquerading at Broncos.

jamesqld

BRL Player
Is anyone else interested in bringing back Benji Marshal? The Sydney morning herald is claiming his manager is shopping him around. It can't be any worse than what we have at the moment...

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Is anyone else interested in bringing back Benji Marshal? The Sydney morning herald is claiming his manager is shopping him around. It can't be any worse than what we have at the moment...
I don't reckon we should have let him go. He wanted **** all money from memory......and we were starting to see some form from him. He's not so much an individualist any more. Can steer a team around the park pretty well.....

animal eater

QCup Player
What's interesting to me when discussing the long term halves is that there is little to no mention of the two guys that could be potentially the best in the system with Paix and Sullivan. Sullivan prior to to his injury last year showed me the most of the lot. He had some balls to run hard at the line, challenge the defense and actually barked orders like a bloody leader. How far he is in terms of rehab, I am not sure.

Croft is an unknown still to me. With Milford we know what he offers and the reality is that he is never really going to take any leaps forward. He lacks discipline, leadership and consistency which are three big negatives when having the number 6 on your jersey.

jamesqld

BRL Player
I don't reckon we should have let him go. He wanted **** all money from memory......and we were starting to see some form from him. He's not so much an individualist any more. Can steer a team around the park pretty well.....
A
I agree. He still has something to offer and an experienced 6 would be a great addition to this young team. Luke and Te'o were good pickups for their experience alone, i think we are still a bit short on experienced leaders, Benji would cap it off niceley.

I’m using Thurston as role model here
I remember watching games when Thurston screamed at his forwards and backs alway almost arrogantly bossing the team around the park . If his team lost he was pissed and he let everyone know it .
We have none of that ...! Specially from Milford...
Croft does talk but I think no one listens

Stu_9

NRL Player
If Dearden is honestly our long-term future I don't understand why he isn't in this side. Put him in with either Milford or Croft and give him the keys. He and Milford went ok last year, so try that again OR I would be more then happy to trial Dearden and Croft. I think those two could work well and if they do, we could look at shopping Milford around for 2021. I have no doubt that Melbourne, Bulldogs, Dragons or Tigers would be interested in Milf. We would obviously have to chip in as no-one is going to be paying 1mill for him. Im ok if we chip in half to free up $ for someone like Grant or making sure that we keep Fifi or even tiring up Dearden.
The club have a few tough decisions to make.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
It seems like ANY decision is a tough one for this bunch. Getting flogged 59 nil I would have thought would have made the decision to drop players a bit easier, but our current mob, still seem to struggle with it...

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
I have a question for people.

What does Croft do well that makes people think he is worth playing in the halves next to Dearden?

To me, he doesn't show any signs that he is or ever will be a first grade standard half.

For me, even if we move on from Milford, Croft isn't the answer when it comes to who should play beside Dearden.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I have a question for people.

What does Croft do well that makes people think he is worth playing in the halves next to Dearden?

To me, he doesn't show any signs that he is or ever will be a first grade standard half.

For me, even if we move on from Milford, Croft isn't the answer when it comes to who should play beside Dearden.
No one says he’s great, no one even thinks he’s been good, he hasn’t but he is on a bucketload less than his halves partner who is somehow going even worse.

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
Its the forwards that are killing us, big slow hitups, average meters, slow play the balls, we are not generating anywhere near enough momentum so the halves cant get a look in. When we have tried to spread it wide we haven't created anywhere near enough space for our backs so the rushing defense is always on top of them.

Everything is now feeding from getting that the roll on, territory, 6 agains, penalties it all feeds from that quick play. Using big blokes for one out hitups 4 out of the 6 tackles particularly considering their numbers are so bad is suicide, the TItans were gang tackling us with 3 in the tackle all night.

Seibs needs to have a good hard rethink and try some different ways to start generating that momentum.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.