VOTE Has Darius Boyd Ruined His Legacy?

Has Darius Boyd Ruined His Legacy?

• Yes

Votes: 50 89.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Don't agree with this. He stood out a number of times in a team chocked with seriously good players. From recollection, at least once when he filled in for Billy Slater. You don't get to be Man of the Match in a team that includes Smith and Thurston and be shit.
I didn't say he was shit, I said it's easier to have a good game when you have amazing players around you. What makes a great player is someone who can lift a team that shouldn't win, to a win. I don't think Boyd has ever been the catalyst in us winning a game that we shouldn't have won. He hasn't taken the game into his own hands and stood up to get the win. Hodges did this all the time, so to did lockyer. Boyd is bung average at absolute best.

Also, rep selection is a joke, it's all about combinations and games played together and who the coach likes. This shows with reports Josh McGuire is going to be picked again... As for being picked for QLD, theres hardly anyone to even choose from.

If he retires in the off season no one will remember his crap and we’d all move on. If he turns out for 2020 then yes his legacy is up in flames.

If he retires in the off season no one will remember his crap and we’d all move on. If he turns out for 2020 then yes his legacy is up in flames.
It's already over. He had a shit 2018 and an awful 2019. He literally would not make a QCUP team.

If he retires before round 1, I can probably remember him pretty well as a player, I've always liked the guy and thought he was top tier in his prime but he's fallen so fucking far down and if I have to watch through another season of his BS I'll remember him about as fondly as I will Macca.

If he retires before round 1, I can probably remember him pretty well as a player, I've always liked the guy and thought he was top tier in his prime but he's fallen so fucking far down and if I have to watch through another season of his BS I'll remember him about as fondly as I will Macca.
Personally I will remember Macca in a higher light. Macca at least fucking tries. Sure he's slow and sorta useless now, but he does try. Boyds defensives efforts indicate that he doesn't give a single **** about the team.

This is his legacy now. We remember heroes of the club who helped build a legacy and make it a jersey to be proud of, gave people of Brisbane something to rally behind with pride.

Now, we're going to remember a guy who amassed a long lowlight reel of terrible efforts but soaked up an awful lot of salary cap, making it tough to retain up and coming talent. Who long outstayed his welcome, played the mental health card whenever he got called on it, made the club a laughing stock, as leader helped instill a losing culture which might take many years to purge, etc etc etc.

That's the legacy.

I voted no, but it could also have been yes. Probably needed another option that he is on the verge of ruining it, which i think he will be if he carries on past this year. As others have said, as a player, i dont think he is a Broncos legend so i'm not sure his legacy at the Broncos on the field is that great. Since he came back in 2015, he has had a positive influence around the place and done a lot of things nobody either knows about or wants to make a story out of because they aren't headline grabbers.

I'm not going to judge him on the last 2 years. Looking at things objectively, he has spent 8 years all up at the Broncos and only 2 could be called poor, so thats why i'd vote no. Its a bit sad really people only concentrate on him when he is in his decline years and forget about him when he was still a fine player. As i have said before, people should aim their vitriol at a coach who wouldn't drop an under-performing player rather than the player himself.
[automerge]1568687070[/automerge]
This is his legacy now. We remember heroes of the club who helped build a legacy and make it a jersey to be proud of, gave people of Brisbane something to rally behind with pride.

Now, we're going to remember a guy who amassed a long lowlight reel of terrible efforts but soaked up an awful lot of salary cap, making it tough to retain up and coming talent. Who long outstayed his welcome, played the mental health card whenever he got called on it, made the club a laughing stock, as leader helped instill a losing culture which might take many years to purge, etc etc etc.

That's the legacy.

Mate, thats bullshit about him playing the mental health card. He doesnt bring it up a great deal at all.

Last edited:
I voted no, but it could also have been yes. Probably needed another option that he is on the verge of ruining it, which i think he will be if he carries on past this year. As others have said, as a player, i dont think he is a Broncos legend so i'm not sure his legacy at the Broncos on the field is that great. Since he came back in 2015, he has had a positive influence around the place and done a lot of things nobody either knows about or wants to make a story out of because they aren't headline grabbers.

I'm not going to judge him on the last 2 years. Looking at things objectively, he has spent 8 years all up at the Broncos and only 2 could be called poor, so thats why i'd vote no. Its a bit sad really people only concentrate on him when he is in his decline years and forget about him when he was still a fine player. As i have said before, people should aim their vitriol at a coach who wouldn't drop an under-performing player rather than the player himself.
[automerge]1568687070[/automerge]

Mate, thats bullshit about him playing the mental health card. He doesnt bring it up a great deal at all.
He basically threatened the fans and media that he would kill himself if people didn't stop being mean... I mean, look at it anyway you want, it's what he did. He's pathetic.

Unfortunately in future when people are putting down their worst Broncos team of all time for a gag or discussion topic I can see the following being a very popular choice:

6. Darius Boyd (C)

I'm fine with him trying to turn it around this season. He's the Captain and I can understand the internal desire he no doubt had to help turn things around. For me, his legacy is still intact at this point.

Now he's had that roll of the dice and it hasn't worked out, to ignore the advice coming from all corners and to continue to play on I think would definitely change that though.

He basically threatened the fans and media that he would kill himself if people didn't stop being mean... I mean, look at it anyway you want, it's what he did. He's pathetic.
He did kind of do that. I don't know how else you could read it, given he was the one copping 99% of the shit. On the other hand, that he managed to stay calm while being blasted by a force 10 shitacane speaks volumes about his grit.

He did kind of do that. I don't know how else you could read it, given he was the one copping 99% of the shit. On the other hand, that he managed to stay calm while being blasted by a force 10 shitacane speaks volumes about his grit.
Or how truly delusional he is. He is the bloke that brought us great quotes such as "I'm happy with my form"...
[automerge]1568688185[/automerge]
If he is going through a tough time mentally, then obviously as a human being I want him to do what he needs to do to get better. The problem I have, is when people just look for excuses / blame external sources etc. People are roasting him for a reason, from the posts I've seen, i haven't come across too many deeply personal attacks, just ones asking for him to retire / stop playing, which are well deserved.

He is the captain and one of the highest paid players in one of the biggest sporting clubs in the country, he is going to cop criticisim, But that is part and parcel of accepting that role and earning that money. I'm bloody sick of all these players crying boohoo.

The NRL is probably the only team sport in the world where the players run the game. The whole RLPA is greedy, and none of them ever want to be held accountable. The game will die if this doesn't change. You look at NFL and Soccer overseas, the game is run by the teams, the sponsers and the team owners. That's the way it should be, not being run by channel 9 and the RLPA.

Last edited:
You'd go a long way to see a more arrogant opinion than yours on Darius.
To properly assess a career you have to account for the whole career not cherry pick the bits you don't like.
That bit about threatening to take his own life is BS as well but if you truly believe it why would you then stick the boot in?, you want to see what pathetic looks like read your own post.

He pissed his legacy into the wind the moment he put pen to paper in 2017 despite absolutely knowing then that his body and passion for footy were deteriorating rapidly. He chose money over team, and that says more than a lot of other things do.

Last edited:
You'd go a long way to see a more arrogant opinion than yours on Darius.
To properly assess a career you have to account for the whole career not cherry pick the bits you don't like.
That bit about threatening to take his own life is BS as well but if you truly believe it why would you then stick the boot in?, you want to see what pathetic looks like read your own post.
So what did he do then?

I'm sorry, but if at my work someone criticises my work i try to fix it and do better the next time. I don't say "One of these days someone is going to do something silly because of something people say".

He's meant to be a captain and a leader. Like I said in previous posts, I haven't seen anything super nasty or death threats or anything like that made towards him, just the sentiment that he should retire / stop playing. The end of the day, people are criticising his performance. People will always say things, the only way you can change that is by giving them something positive to talk about.

So what did he do then?

I'm sorry, but if at my work someone criticises my work i try to fix it and do better the next time. I don't say "One of these days someone is going to do something silly because of something people say".

He's meant to be a captain and a leader. Like I said in previous posts, I haven't seen anything super nasty or death threats or anything like that made towards him, just the sentiment that he should retire / stop playing. The end of the day, people are criticising his performance. People will always say things, the only way you can change that is by giving them something positive to talk about.
You didn't say his performance was pathetic you said he is pathetic. Not personal????
On top of that, like I said, if you or anyone else think he was genuinely referring to himself then why add to it???
It's telling IMO.

You didn't say his performance was pathetic you said he is pathetic. Not personal????
On top of that, like I said, if you or anyone else think he was genuinely referring to himself then why add to it???
It's telling IMO.
Because up until the moment he said that, i didn't have a gripe with him personally. After saying that, as someone who has lost close family and friends to suicide, it is a bit of a trigger. People say he has been good for mental health etc. From where I stand, he hasn't been, because he has basically always used it as an excuse.

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Manifesto
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncsgoat
  • bazza
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • cento
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Ozired
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.