Henjak and '09

Agree about 1999, shocking start but the spirit we showed to make the finals was top notch. 2007 may not look good on the scoreboard either but the injuries we had would've put any other team out of the finals.

The most disappointing season for me - 2005. Won 11 games in a row and lost our last 8 games. How could we go from being so good to so crap!!!!

I've only been a supporter since 2000 but I always felt 03,05 and 07 were by far the most dissapointing.

2003 We were shaping up as one of the best sides 2/3's of the way through but after that Melbourne game we were never the same.

2005 Was like deja vu except on a grander scale. We appeared to be leagues above the competition until we lost to the Warriors. After that loss we were never the same and a combination of poor form and luck bundled us out.

2007 never reached any great heights. Yes there were signs before Lockyers injury but we were never at some point THE team.

They've been saying it a bit in the media, but I think the biggest challenge facing Henjak is what, if any, changes to the culture he will introduce.

Is he going to apply rules to the mid-season celebrations - limit drinking, forbid visiting certain establishments etc. Or is he going to conduct random breath tests at recovery sessions, or all sessions?

As a fan of the club, do you think it's appropriate that players write themselves off after a game on Friday night, as many of us saw after the Newcastle game in round 26, and again we heard about after the Roosters semi? Should there be limits?

What do you think Henjak should do?

As professional athletes who earn god knows how much to do what they love, surely curbing their drinking culture is hardly a tough ask.

Henjak should employ certain drinking/clubbing bans at stages within the season. If they don't like it they can goto a club like the Bulldogs. This is the Broncos.

mal said:
As professional athletes who earn god knows how much to do what they love, surely curbing their drinking culture is hardly a tough ask.

Henjak should employ certain drinking/clubbing bans at stages within the season. If they don't like it they can goto a club like the Bulldogs. This is the Broncos.

I agree. I honestly don't think that's asking that much. It shows a committment to the club and to giving your absolute best - why should the Broncos bother with them if they aren't willing to do that?

I think they should definitely curb their habits, binge drinking is NOT socially acceptable and sends a bad message to the young footy players out there (i'm talking the 14/15yo's who model their behaviour on these guys).

I'd suggest keeping their blood alcohol levels on a night out at the 0.05 limit would be a good start. They can still get loose, just responsibly. No biggie. Makes Mad Monday extra special. Perhaps also allowing them a big night after Origin 3 would be a good reward.

I think to solve the whole dilema, he has to have a protocol in place before the season starts. Then toward the buisness end, at the risk of being "military minded", he FORCES them to sign a no-alcohol policy.

If you earn $100000+ a season, you don't get choices much.

Tend to agree. The fact binge drinking is socially acceptable (as evidenced by the "**** off no way" attitude of BHQ members to the light hearted challenge to go without booze for a week) is a major factor why it's a problem in league and other sports.

I know of at least one former Bronco lower grader who was basically ostracised because he didn't like a drink, didn't like a punt and didn't like clubbing. Instead of being applauded as a role model for other players, he was laughed at.

Totally ironic given the former coach's personal attitude to drinking.

badav said:
mrslong said:
binge drinking is NOT socially acceptable

Thats the funniest thing ive read all day.
It's not socially acceptable, unless you are less than 25.

But there is NOTHING good about going out and drinking until you vomit/pass out is NOT cool. People don't respect that.

Getting drunk on a few glasses of booze on a Saturday night is acceptable behaviour, but bingeing is not. There's a subtle difference.

Perhaps some guidelines on a handily laminated pocket-sized card would be useful.

'.... 13. If you find yourself in a toilet cubicle with a semi-naked Sam Thaiday, you've had to much to drink. ....'

mrslong said:
badav said:
mrslong said:
binge drinking is NOT socially acceptable

Thats the funniest thing ive read all day.
It's not socially acceptable, unless you are less than 25.

mrslong, YOU may not find it acceptable, however, like Coxy and Badav have said, it is socially acceptable, from 17-40.

People drink in excess, everywhere, every weekend.

What we see in the NRL, is simply a reflection of the community as a whole.

And as we are all too acutely aware, social change is best affected from the top down - that is, from the domain of society that has the highest level of publicity.

In "olden days", that was people like the royal family, politicians and high society. What they deemed socially acceptable is what the rest of society was judged by (even if not all complied).

These days sportsmen, TV personalities, musicians and movie stars seem to be held in high esteem and the "kids" will (eventually) follow their lead. We can't control tv, musicians or movie stars really, but sporting organisations like the NRL, the Broncos, the AFL etc can put controls on their players' behaviour and thus social expectations.

Thing is to do it you'd need cooperation not just from the whole of the NRL, but the ARU, ESL, and anywhere else that competes for the players. Otherwise the ones that want to booze up day in, day out and don't see it as a problem will simply go wherever it is that will accept that behaviour and let them play footy.

So, like most social change and revolutionary ideas, they sound lovely in theory but could never realistically be implemented so we just have to roll with the times.

In 20 years we won't be worrying about binge drinking. Either it will be just common practice, or like smoking it'll be just not the done thing ... and instead we'll be worrying about persistent pill popping or something else. Trends change and move.

So yes, we're stuck trusting kids coming through in a generation that totally doesn't give a shit about consequences, brought up on a belief that someone will fix their **** ups if they make them.

Great article in the Australian about Henjak and 09!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html

Henjak and his new-look staff met for a private three-day seminar on the Gold Coast this week to begin preparations for 2009.

Originally scheduled as a strategic planning session to establish how things would run without Wayne Bennett at the helm, the meeting ended up addressing the off-field dramas which engulfed the club last month.

"Webbie and Alfie are legends. They are a big part of the proud history of this club I spoke about and they want these guys to understand that history and to protect it. To a man, the coaches spoke about how much they care about the club. There are a lot of people around who care about the Broncos who were hurt by some of the things that happened."

Good to see, good to see....

Hammo said:
mrslong, YOU may not find it acceptable, however, like Coxy and Badav have said, it is socially acceptable, from 17-40.

People drink in excess, everywhere, every weekend.

What we see in the NRL, is simply a reflection of the community as a whole.

Yeah, but there's a widening realisation that it's not good to be bingeing...everyone likes to get plowed at the christmas party, but you don't wanna be the person that strips off all their clothes, tell the boss he's a *** and then vomit and pass out....that's the sort of stuff i'm talking about. Nailing a bird your mates has just nailed because you are so blind is not socially acceptable.

Getting drunk and having a good night out is different to that kind of drinking...

Good article that one. Some wiser heads are moving in and that will hopefully get the players back on track. Going to be a tough pre-season for some.

Interesting to see Dan Koch write a positive article about the Broncos, meaning maybe it was WB that he had the problem with and vice versa eusa_think

All sounds good on paper, but putting it into practice will be the challenge. Good luck Ivan, and start with the one not named who is the main influence on most of these young fellows.

Yeah, Koch is sucking up to the new guy now, hoping to get some material. Just wait until Ivan gets the shits with him and Koch will write him off.

No offence Dan if you still read here :P

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Mr Fourex
  • GCBRONCO
  • The True King
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morepudding
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.