OFFICIAL Herbie ***** off to the dolphins

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Mariner will probably have similar issues to Herbie if he is shoved into playing left center. Shame really when you look at it Staggs, Herbie, Mariner and Hoeter are all right centers. Be nice if we actually recruited a genuine left sided center.

Isn't Cobbo a left sided player, normally?

move him to left centre ... Mariner to right wing. problem solved. that also gives you the option to move Mariner into Staggfs' right centre position if he doesn't step it up.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Isn't Cobbo a left sided player, normally?

move him to left centre ... Mariner to right wing. problem solved. that also gives you the option to move Mariner into Staggfs' right centre position if he doesn't step it up.

He is, but i dont think he has played heaps of center. Could be wrong about that though i'm not sure. Center is really a tough position these days. You need to be a really good communicator to bring together whichever side of the field you are playing defensively. We seem, especially on the right, to defend decently as individuals but not as a unit. Cobbo doesnt seem much of a talker so thats something he is going to have to develop if he wants to be a good center.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
He is, but i dont think he has played heaps of center. Could be wrong about that though i'm not sure. Center is really a tough position these days. You need to be a really good communicator to bring together whichever side of the field you are playing defensively. We seem, especially on the right, to defend decently as individuals but not as a unit. Cobbo doesnt seem much of a talker so thats something he is going to have to develop if he wants to be a good center.
He didn’t mind talking on a podcast.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
To be fair Herbie isn't much of a talker as well.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
The thought of the Broncs taking the flag and the Dumplings taking the spoon is now an even more delicious dream. Bye Herbie .. just flick the dust off the silverware on your way out mate.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think he came through playing centre before he got to Wynnum and moved to fb.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Bahahahah that's classic. You sound like a tigers supporter
Do you go to work/school on monday and tell them what you do on Friday nights? Go on to an opposing teams fan forum and troll.

I mean honestly, broncos could lose every game for the rest of my life but I'd still take great solice in the fact I am not the biggest loser on the planet given you're still around.

I rate this trolling about a 3/10, we've had far better, but there's potential there. Keep trying...

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

He could well have done, like i said, i'm not up on it. I'd be focusing more at what he was doing at Queensland cup level and above tbh. Tesi Niu for example was carving it up at lower levels and you can get away with a lot based on your ability and athleticism but once you start playing against men you need to start doing a lot more. Tesi didnt. At the moment, i dont see Selwyn as a great communicator. He's got plenty of time though to bring that into his game. I do worry he is a quiet sort of bloke and it might just not be in his nature.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He could well have done, like i said, i'm not up on it. I'd be focusing more at what he was doing at Queensland cup level and above tbh. Tesi Niu for example was carving it up at lower levels and you can get away with a lot based on your ability and athleticism but once you start playing against men you need to start doing a lot more. Tesi didnt. At the moment, i dont see Selwyn as a great communicator. He's got plenty of time though to bring that into his game. I do worry he is a quiet sort of bloke and it might just not be in his nature.
Selwyn was pretty great at centre in his first few first grade games

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I think this was rightly inevitable. Great running game but he doesn't have the ceiling of cobbo, staggs or Walsh, and Oates is about to become our greatest every try scorer for far less money.

I think with mariner, and potentially Arthurs on our roster and cobbo looking like he'd suit centre far better I think this is the best starting outside back loss we could have out of the lot. People bag staggs but there's no doubt he has a far higher ceiling. Will he fulfill it? Maybe not, but it's a gamble worth taking I believe if we had to pay the same to keep farnworth.

I hope this means we keep flegler, but I'd have the same mindset. He too is not the difference in winning or losing, so if he wants anywhere past 650,000 even om the new cap there's others who could do his role. We've been held to ransom too much. We aren't the Roosters or cowboys, we need to prioritise the spine. Have 2 or 3 potential game breakers in non spine positions, have a couple of leaders, and fill the rest with value for money/hard workers.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Selwyn was pretty great at centre in his first few first grade games

I think he's got all the attributes to be a top line center, but he's got them for fullback and wing as well. Must admit, i'm not one of these people though who get carried away with younger players coming in and doing well in their first few games. Seen it many times, once they get into the grind of playing week in week out some start to struggle and fade away.

I still think he needs another season of NRL footy on the wing tbh. He's still got a fair few errors in him and still, as you would expect with a young developing player, a lot of little things to work on. Not saying this is you either mate, but there are some who seem to want to push players into positions they probably aren't ready for yet. We need to not rush our younger players and let them develop.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
This is fucked. I assume the club were aware which is why there has been zero attempts to play him at fullback for the trials. **** the Dolphins but **** the Broncos for allowing another talented player who loves the club to leave.
If he loved the club, he wouldn't be leaving

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
From the podcast he did from what I can understand he said as you've said he got put at Fullback once he got to Wynnum never really played there before.
There's a vid on YouTube playing for sunny coast and Cherbourg (I think) and he's left centre.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I think he's got all the attributes to be a top line center, but he's got them for fullback and wing as well. Must admit, i'm not one of these people though who get carried away with younger players coming in and doing well in their first few games. Seen it many times, once they get into the grind of playing week in week out some start to struggle and fade away.

I still think he needs another season of NRL footy on the wing tbh. He's still got a fair few errors in him and still, as you would expect with a young developing player, a lot of little things to work on. Not saying this is you either mate, but there are some who seem to want to push players into positions they probably aren't ready for yet. We need to not rush our younger players and let them develop.
Cobbos worst attribute is his dropped balls. Take them out and he is deadset top shelf. At the moment those errors are costing the team very badly. I think putting him at centre helps minimise the dropped ball by at least half, while still keeping his game breaking ability there for the team.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I love Herbie as much, if not more than anyone else on the forum.

But IF Mariner is ready for regular NRL footy (at least on the wing) then I would seriously consider giving him that spot (with Cobbo taking centre)

Even though it would be best for us in 2023 to keep (and start) Herbie.

Herbie stuck with us at a time when it made more sense to walk away. So for that reason (assuming Mariner is ready for full time NRL) I would make a deal with the Phins for a transfer fee in exchange for an early release. I would put one clause in that release though, saying that Herbie is not permitted to play against us in 2023
That last part is the only thing that I would be happy with releasing him early on... you can go, but you can't play against us this year.

Dolphins will still be bottom 4 with him, but we don't need to make it harder for ourselves by letting an on-contract player play against us

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Ironbroncos
  • broncs30
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • pennywisealfie
  • The Boss
  • kman
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.