'He's the reason I started playing Rugby League'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THE flick pass. You know the one. The Benji Marshall special.

The moment of magic from a 20-year-old Kiwi that propelled Wests Tigers to the 2005 premiership and remains the beacon that has defined Marshall’s glittering NRL career.

Kodi Nikorima was aged 11 the night Marshall flicked the Tigers to premiership glory.

Watching the Wests Tigers-Cowboys decider from his loungeroom in New Zealand, Nikorima suddenly found his inspiration.

If Benjamin Quentin Marshall, the Kiwi kid from Whakatane, so poor he grew up eating Weet-Bix for dinner and tomato-sauce sandwiches for lunch, could make the big time, so could he.

“Benji is the reason I basically started playing rugby league,” says Nikorima.

“He was the man. Everyone remembers him for his amazing skills and I will never forget that flick pass that he did in the GF.

“Seeing a Kiwi make it to that level, it drove me and showed me I could fulfil my dreams if I wanted to play professional rugby league.

“Being a Kiwi myself, when he was on the big stage, he was the guy every Kiwi kid loved watching.

“I still remember being in the backyard, I would practise my own Benji Marshall step.

“He was a real idol for me growing up and a role model.”

Fast forward a decade and Nikorima’s dream is reality.

Marshall has gone from untouchable poster boy to the Broncos teammate who is taking an active interest developing Nikorima into the halfback charged with snapping Brisbane’s 11-year title drought.

On Friday night at Suncorp Stadium, Nikorima plays his 49th top-grade game against Cronulla — the opponent that best crystallises his journey in the NRL.

Two years ago, Nikorima made his NRL debut as a nervous utility against the Sharks. Now he is wearing the iconic No. 7 jumper made famous by Allan Langer, who steered Brisbane to their first premiership two years before Nikorima was even born.

Nikorima doesn’t remember much of Langer but they share familiar bonds. Langer stood 165cm.

Nikorima is slightly taller but still pint-sized at 174cm. And just like Langer, the jury remains out on whether Nikorima has the defensive capability to repel the giants of the game like Sharks enforcer Andrew Fifita, who will attempt to trample the Broncos playmaker at Suncorp Stadium.

But Nikorima is building a formidable record.

In seven games as a starting halfback, he is unbeaten. When Nikorima came through Brisbane’s under-20s system, Broncos playmaking legend Darren Lockyer rated him so highly he advised the club to keep the young Kiwi on their books.

Nikorima admits he was initially taken aback when Marshall, effectively a playmaking rival, was a shock signing by the Broncos last November. It could have broken his spirit. Instead Marshall has helped galvanise his self-belief.

“It blew me away when Benji arrived at the Broncos,” Nikorima said.

“Wayne (Bennett, Broncos coach) actually gave me a phone call beforehand to say he had just signed Benji. I was excited but a bit anxious at the same time.

“Benji is a great player and I didn’t know where that left me, but Wayne made it clear there was a future for me here, which was good to hear.

“Obviously I don’t look at Benji in the same way now. I still have massive respect for him but if I still idolised him, I would be a bit of fan girl, wouldn’t I?”

It is testament to Marshall’s sense of team that he wants the best for Nikorima, who was hooked six weeks ago as he struggled for control in a victory over Canberra.

Nikorima watched from the bench as Marshall expertly dismantled the Raiders, but the former Kiwi Test captain sees promise in the 23-year-old. He is gradually planing away the rough edges in Nikorima’s game management.

“I’ve learned a heap from Benji,” Nikorima says.

“At half-time in games, he comes up to me and we talk about how I’m going and some things I could try in games. Having him around the club has been tremendous.

“There’s other guys here who have helped me like Darius (Boyd) and ‘Macca’ (injured hooker Andrew McCullough), but having Benji at the club and his experience is so important.”

Broncos skipper Boyd has no doubt Nikorima can be a long-term force in the NRL, seeing the same instinctive brilliance that made Langer a legend.

“He is very different in the way he plays to most halfbacks,” Boyd said. “It’s been hard for Kodi because he has been asked to play so many positions for us.

“But I like the style of play he brings at halfback. He plays what he sees and he is a confident player.

“He likes taking the line on and has that speed and skill.

“When he is playing with confidence, that’s when he plays his best.

“Guys like myself probably think more and have that experience, but Kodi is best when he plays what he sees.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a/news-story/54fab4886b826de0bbdf55be584c7da0

As far as middle names go, Quentin is up there with the worst of them.

Active Now

• marw
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.