Honest Opinions

@Jason Simmons That's the first controversial opinion in the thread, well played!

While I can see where you're coming from, and in some ways I agree with you, i think it's a bit harsh. You need all of those blokes, the clubmen, you can't afford to field a team full of stars.

Those seven guys you named played in teams with dozens of other blokes. Most of whom would be an equivalent calibre to the Hook Boys.

The difference now is we're missing the killer instinct in the spine (excluding Boyd). If we had just one guy in 6, 7 or 9 with the skills of Lockyer or Walters, I think we'd be looking at a premiership winning side, and your opinion of the rest of the side would be quite a bit different.

the recruitment piece has now been a mess for 10 or so years.
the club still carry the most amount of paid scouts on their books and still hold majority of the contacts in the school network.
majority of other clubs have maybe 2 full time scouts on the ground where as the broncs generally have 6 guys running around at any one time.
my biggest issue which is plain and easy for all to see is a term i use - carpet bomb recruiting. its a simple process of going around and signing as many kids as possible in every age group. then we sit back and hope and prey that we jam a 100 kids in the funnel at the top and see what falls through at the bottom.
this sort of scouting stinks and shows a real lack of vision.
i look at the cowboys and they overhauled their system 4 or 5 years ago now. the head recruiter up there knows talent and doesnt just sign a 100 kids.
me personally i just cringe at the fact that guys like munster and holmes among a host of other qld kids were passed over by our so called experts.
looking at the nrl team at the moment shows a real lack of home grown talent scouting.
blair was bought in
sims was told to beat it and then ended up back
milford was a buy in
roberts was a buy in
moga is a buy in
boyd was a buy back
it doesnt look like a long list but our 2 best players are added recruits.
anyway just my opinion

@Jason Simmons That's the first controversial opinion in the thread, well played!

While I can see where you're coming from, and in some ways I agree with you, i think it's a bit harsh. You need all of those blokes, the clubmen, you can't afford to field a team full of stars.

Those seven guys you named played in teams with dozens of other blokes. Most of whom would be an equivalent calibre to the Hook Boys.

The difference now is we're missing the killer instinct in the spine (excluding Boyd). If we had just one guy in 6, 7 or 9 with the skills of Lockyer or Walters, I think we'd be looking at a premiership winning side, and your opinion of the rest of the side would be quite a bit different.

But that is my point. Our 'generation of stars' are all average at best and there are NO stars among them... We can add to the woes by stating we have failed to sign that star quality that makes the difference as you say, our Lockyer or Walters, which doesn't help the situation, but that is partly because so much was expected from this group for some reason. 'Someone' saw a bunch of class in this group that I don't and I don't think we ever will and has bet the farm on it, year after year. The results we have and continue to get don't seem to change that view within certain quarters, though I admit we have obviously shed some of them.

Last edited:
He's a Premiership hooker. Is McCullough?
Well.. Benji Marshal if also a premiership winning 6. Guess we need to drop Milford now.

You're only as good as your last season or current preseason.

Respect the grit and experience of a player but don't use premierships as a right of passage. It's fucking too subjective and you know that!

He's a Premiership hooker. Is McCullough?

Shane Perry is a premiership half.

What has Granville done since then?

In fact did you see the part in the GF where he almost cost his team the game with a stupid little grubber to no one? If Feldt didn't come up with that strip, it was game over.

We should have kept Peter Wallace.

He has been brilliant at hooker and I think we would be premiers if we kept him.

We lack that composure under pressure and that's one area Wallace excelled in.

The amount of field goals he pulled off under all sorts of pressure.. His time with us has been underrated and quite honestly he doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism directed at him.

Not only that, but he would be great next to Milford when Hunt leaves. He would take so much pressure off him and we would have a half that is more than capable of guiding the team around the field.

Granville is a pidgeon-chested one season wonder who will fade into obscurity.

Niko was Thurston yesterday at the Captain's run but there was just as much yelling and tips about Granville too.

We should have kept Peter Wallace.

He has been brilliant at hooker and I think we would be premiers if we kept him.

We lack that composure under pressure and that's one area Wallace excelled in.

The amount of field goals he pulled off under all sorts of pressure.. His time with us has been underrated and quite honestly he doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism directed at him.

Not only that, but he would be great next to Milford when Hunt leaves. He would take so much pressure off him and we would have a half that is more than capable of guiding the team around the field.

Mate, I think you're looking for the 'Piss Mr. Fourex off' thread.

This is the honest opinions thread.

Enough of the 5 feeder club bullshit ...

I say we revert to a single feeder club (like we had in the 00's with the Clydesdale's) all our contracted players then play together when not required for NRL duty.

I say we revert to a single feeder club (like we had in the 00's with the Clydesdale's) all our contracted players then play together when not required for NRL duty.

Disagree. That means southern teams roll into QLD and take talent out of QLD.

Disagree. That means southern teams roll into QLD and take talent out of QLD.

that happens anyway ... there is only so many players we can have on our books, and even if we are having arrangements with other QLD cup teams, it is only so long before the southern clubs swoop in and offer these guys an opportunity.

most of the benefit that these clubs get is a spot for one of their players to train with us during the preseason and the extra players in our top 25 playing with them. when not required for NRL duty.

Problem there is as was found at Toowoomba no one cares. Toowoomba people didn't care about 'their' team with 17 guys that couldn't even find Toowoomba on a map and it folds a team when you decide to pull away from the commitment. Sunny Coast and Toowoomba didn't profit from it.

You're also doing away with whole areas, that you no longer have a presence in. Take out the Souths and Ipswich players out of the Broncos?

that happens anyway ... there is only so many players we can have on our books, and even if we are having arrangements with other QLD cup teams, it is only so long before the southern clubs swoop in and offer these guys an opportunity.

most of the benefit that these clubs get is a spot for one of their players to train with us during the preseason and the extra players in our top 25 playing with them. when not required for NRL duty.

You misunderstood what I meant. I didn't mean just players being targeted, but the entire club. I don't want one of our ISC teams, 30 minutes drive from Red Hill to be a feeder for a southern state.

the recruitment piece has now been a mess for 10 or so years.
the club still carry the most amount of paid scouts on their books and still hold majority of the contacts in the school network.
majority of other clubs have maybe 2 full time scouts on the ground where as the broncs generally have 6 guys running around at any one time.
my biggest issue which is plain and easy for all to see is a term i use - carpet bomb recruiting. its a simple process of going around and signing as many kids as possible in every age group. then we sit back and hope and prey that we jam a 100 kids in the funnel at the top and see what falls through at the bottom.
this sort of scouting stinks and shows a real lack of vision.
i look at the cowboys and they overhauled their system 4 or 5 years ago now. the head recruiter up there knows talent and doesnt just sign a 100 kids.
me personally i just cringe at the fact that guys like munster and holmes among a host of other qld kids were passed over by our so called experts.
looking at the nrl team at the moment shows a real lack of home grown talent scouting.
blair was bought in
sims was told to beat it and then ended up back
milford was a buy in
roberts was a buy in
moga is a buy in
boyd was a buy back
it doesnt look like a long list but our 2 best players are added recruits.
anyway just my opinion

Thanks, I'm glad to see others share my concern over it (BP included).

I think it is a very arrogant way of identifying and developing players, akin to alchemy, throw em all to a wall and see what explodes. It probably also doesn't help the kids feel needed or wanted, knowing that well we've got 100 of kids just like you son so if you don't put in we'll just cut you and move onto the next one.

What happens if we have two depth hookers and two depth halfbacks plus a five-eighth?

I like the concept, having them play in the same team, but it wouldn't work in practise.

I honestly think Lockyer is being stupid calling Moga the next Folau. Doesn't he remember the last time he did that and look what happened.

I honestly think Lockyer is being stupid calling Moga the next Folau. Doesn't he remember the last time he did that and look what happened.

Refresh my memory.

Also you're putting words into his mouth. Lockyer said his size, speed and ability to contest the high-ball reminds him of Folau.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Thelmus
  • LittleDavey
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Justwin
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.