How much better do we look now with a REAL dummyhalf

That's usually how they play with Nikorima at halfback.

Didn't think Hunt played that well from dummy half. Service was pretty shaky, didn't seem to take on the line that much and of course he had that shocking kick.

Still nice to see the guys play well regardless, but it didn't come down to the dummy half.

But you're prepared to put that down to KNik instead....? Interesting.

I'll agree that Hunt didn't set the world on fire as much as he did the week before.......but I don't necessarily think KNik did that much last night either.

The combination of both ...and Milford, is what's clicking out there.

I'll agree that Hunt didn't set the world on fire as much as he did the week before.......but I don't necessarily think KNik did that much last night either.

I agree, the point is, this is the type of footy we were seeing from the Broncos from Round 6 through to Round 11 where Nikorima took over the reigns. It isn't necessarily because Nikorima is playing well, but it's because there's a clear dynamic between the halves. Milford leads, Nikorima follows and it's paying off.

It was a group effort last night, but I thought the effort from the forwards to restrict Gal & Fifita to less than a 100m was telling.

I think the main difference with knik to hunt in the 7 is the way milf plays.

He seems to take a back seat and sit on his left edge with hunt but with knik he takes charge of the game and plays both sides of the field often as first receiver.

Also the one thing hunt doesn't do well is commit the defence when he ball plays, he often plays well before the line and gives the defence plenty of time to adjust. Knik seems more natural at making the defence commit by just holding it longer and letting the defence make the decision for him

I'm just struggling with what the female sheep have to do with our recruiting and team structure???

You do if that player will leave if that doesn't happen. Macca made it clear if the Broncos didn't give him the deal he wanted, he would have looked elsewhere.

Then where would that have left us?
Better off.

There were none. They were all locked up on multi-year deals or just didn't want to leave the city they are currently playing in.

Macca was the best option available at the time and there won't be a better option for a few years yet.

Not unless a rookie bursts onto the scene.

Like halves, quality hookers are becoming harder to find.

Agree up to the point of 2 year or even 3 year vs 4 year contract. Also we let 2 good attacking hookers go for him (3 if moved Hunt to accomodate Taylor although admit that one is shaky ground).

Please...this is getting ridiculous. We were a top 4 side with McCullough who many said was our best player and he was easily having his best season. As I said earlier, the way we've played hasn't exactly all-of-a-sudden improved because McCullough is injured. We've come up against a basket case Titans and a deplorable Sharks with a team hell-bent on making a run for the finals. I still think even with McCullough in the side we have similar results against both those teams.

Please...this is getting ridiculous. We were a top 4 side with McCullough who many said was our best player and he was easily having his best season. As I said earlier, the way we've played hasn't exactly all-of-a-sudden improved because McCullough is injured. We've come up against a basket case Titans and a deplorable Sharks with a team hell-bent on making a run for the finals. I still think even with McCullough in the side we have similar results against both those teams.

In his nearly 9 years in first grade, when has Macca had a game equivalent to Hunt's against the Titans?

Come on people, just because Hunt has exposed Macca's obvious flaws doesn't mean the Macca club has to get whingey about it.

Ps the Titans were more of a basket case early in the season and Macca did nothing against them.

They offer different things. Macca was just getting his groove on - the first time in years I've seen genuine mid-field runs from him, and a willingness to take on the line.

It's a moot point anyway. Even if Benny is the second coming of Christ / Cam Smith, and carries us to glory - who cares? He's gone at the end of the season. I'd rather not stock my bowl of sour grapes by wondering what could have been. Macca will be back next year, and hopefully he continues his recent upwards trajectory.

I think the main difference with knik to hunt in the 7 is the way milf plays.

He seems to take a back seat and sit on his left edge with hunt but with knik he takes charge of the game and plays both sides of the field often as first receiver.

Also the one thing hunt doesn't do well is commit the defence when he ball plays, he often plays well before the line and gives the defence plenty of time to adjust. Knik seems more natural at making the defence commit by just holding it longer and letting the defence make the decision for him

One thing being overlooked in this debate is that Hunt ISNT playing 7 when he's playing 9....

This keeps him out of derping it up as the main play-maker but keeps him sniffing around and offering another concern for the opposition defense. One of our problems when we have been playing with the previous structures was we were boring and predictable and opposition defenses didn't have to to think too hard about what we were going to serve up.

Now they have to look in 3-4 directions with Niko, Milf, Hunt, and Boyd on the move and that's before it gets anywhere near the blinding speed of Jimmy or the size and power of Moga, which is growing week to week.

It has clicked into place by getting Hunt OUT of 7 just as much as allowing all of the other scenarios to fall into place. He can't screw it up now so we are out of the roller coaster ride of never knowing whether he was going to have a blinder or a blunder

As long as Hunt is not wearing a 7 jersey come finals time, I'll be happy.

Also feels like our attack has a lot more potential. Full props to Macca for being a 80 minute workhorse, but you can't do that and still have much 'zing' in your attack.

Did anyone notice Hodges writing us off last Wednesday on Queenslanders Only ? If this has already been posted I apologise but I missed it if it has. When asked who could win it all he went for the Storm Chooks and Sharks....

Did anyone notice Hodges writing us off last Wednesday on Queenslanders Only ? If this has already been posted I apologise but I missed it if it has. When asked who could win it all he went for the Storm Chooks and Sharks....
I might be wrong but i don't recall Hodges saying that

I do recall Kent saying Storm Chooks Sharks were the only three clubs with a realistic chance of taking it out, and Ikin duly reminded him of that on NRL360 last night.

Can't be ignored either that Hunt is having a nice 25 minute rest to start the game, McCullough has made 20 tackles by then. Hunt comes on and has a scoot and that's his job but he isn't doing the full 100% of his role is he?

Just like Berrigan they have a limited time and they are using it, but you can't compare them to other hookers until they're doing the full job.

Can't be ignored either that Hunt is having a nice 25 minute rest to start the game, McCullough has made 20 tackles by then. Hunt comes on and has a scoot and that's his job but he isn't doing the full 100% of his role is he?

Just like Berrigan they have a limited time and they are using it, but you can't compare them to other hookers until they're doing the full job.
Why not? Plenty of hookers don't play 80 minutes, Macca didn't play the 80 for most of his career either. No one has ever claimed Hunt has a bigger engine or is a better defender.

BTW, I really don't care how Hunt goes long term, there's only a few weeks left, if he can provide a spark and go out on a high, that's good enough for me.

Why not? Plenty of hookers don't play 80 minutes, Macca didn't play the 80 for most of his career either. No one has ever claimed Hunt has a bigger engine or is a better defender.

BTW, I really don't care how Hunt goes long term, there's only a few weeks left, if he can provide a spark and go out on a high, that's good enough for me.

It's more the not able to defend in the ruck early that makes it a unfair comparison. The effect of that is him being off the field. That's 50% of your job as a hooker.

Bit like saying I am a better opening batsman than him but can I come in at nine so I don't face any fresh bowlers.

I am not bagging Hunt, he has to be protected from that and can't play 80 minutes in the ruck but you can't compare him to guys that are in there that's not a fair comparison.

For the most part Macca was quite effective off the bench. He was hard to contain and proved to be effective in attack. But that was years ago.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • the_next
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Aldo
  • The True King
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.