How much better do we look now with a REAL dummyhalf

Macca is underrated in my opinion. Comparing what he does to what hunt does is ridiculous. I'm not saying the tactic is wrong , mind you. Hunt AND thaiday are both doing great. Could macca be more aggressive in attack playing 50-60 minutes: probably, but its not how he is told to play and denigrating him for it is unkind. I think if he played some time at lock during games, with a utility playing minutes at dummy half, you would get similar results. Bearing in mind our forwards have lifted in defence and attack in recent games. If they did that earlier, I'm confident macca would be a lot more potent in his game (having teams on the back foot goes a long way to unleashing ball players' skills.
I'm sure some would suggest our forwards new momentum is the result of faster dummy half play, but I would suggest it has more to do with not giving advantage away earlier in the ruck. Too often we had soft runs from young forwards still feeling their way, or strong runs but lazy marker defence. Its only recently they are giving us both, and its no coincidence that its the young players who started the year rather than someone making their way through the ranks. They have matured and seeing a figure they look up to who has done what they do (thaiday) barking at them probably helps.

I hope Bennett lightens McCullough's workload next season. Hooker is such an important attacking position that having them make 50+ tackles a game and leaving them gassed is a massive waste. Other forwards should be aiming up instead. Either give him a break or let him make 30 to 40 tackles.

I don't think McCullough has good enough attacking skills in him anyway. If defence is the over riding concern......you might as well stick a back rower in there.

I don't think McCullough has good enough attacking skills in him anyway. If defence is the over riding concern......you might as well stick a back rower in there.

Unfortunately the best ever back-rower/hooker retired with injury :(

What is the point for making 50 tackles if you stifle the attack with poor service and a lack of thrust from dummy half? In fact if you stifle the attack everyone is going to have to defend more on the backfoot including you making those extra tackles meaningless and counter productive. With 8 interchanges you can rest your hooker. 6 interchanges would change this equation however.

I would much prefer trying Macca on at 15 or 20 and let Thaiday absorb the heavy lifting then go to back row. Suspect however teams will work him out, so open to alternatives.

Hunt showed tonight he can handle the defensive workload required from a hooker.

I think if he dedicated himself to the role and spent a pre-season making the transition, he could end up being one of the best hookers in the game.

His explosiveness in attack and his toughness, especially defensively, he could become quite successful in the role.

He also seems to be able to pick his moments better in regards to his kicking game when he is playing there.

Would definitely be a better hooker than McCullough if he played there full time. Has everything you need.

Hunt showed tonight he can handle the defensive workload required from a hooker.

I think if he dedicated himself to the role and spent a pre-season making the transition, he could end up being one of the best hookers in the game.

His explosiveness in attack and his toughness, especially defensively, is something not many hookers have today.

He also seems to be able to pick his moments better in regards to his kicking game when he is playing there.
I'm on board with this. He really is far better in this position.

Walters sounded very enthusiastic about him playing 9.

We could have our replacement for Smith.

The way Smiths going Hunt will retire before him lol.

But yeah I got that vibe from his comments though it will be hard for that to happen as Hunt is no chance of playing 9 for the dragons.

The way Smiths going Hunt will retire before him lol.

But yeah I got that vibe from his comments though it will be hard for that to happen as Hunt is no chance of playing 9 for the dragons.

He has taken to it pretty quickly and is the best option QLD have after Smith by a fair way.

On the defence I think he handles it well because he's basically defending out next to 2nd rower. Would be interested to see how many tackles he made tonight.

FWIW I think he'd be a quality hooker felt there were numerous times tonight where he could've run but stopped and handed it off to a forward. Hopefully with a few more games he'll back himself and bust through those holes

Dragons will feel like they just bought a Ferrari that they aren't allowed to drive more then 60kms after spending $1.2 mill a season on him...

Active Now

• thenry
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.