How much is too much for Payne? The saga continues...

What is the maximum per year you would offer Haas?

• Total voters
30 years ago or so, a decision to lock down the best young prop in the game on big money delivered 2 premierships.

Here we are again.

Lazzo was a generational talent, so is Haas.

You have to try and keep guys like this.

Brisbane have shown you can build a forward pack with Marty and Jenson, guys who dont take up much of your cap but step up each and every game and give you 100%. Or if you will Hohn, Gee etc..

But i agree: there are limits.

We will need space to lock down long term our future 5/8th and hooker at the club. We cant sacrifice future spine players to keep a prop.

Only an idiot would accept those terms. 🤦🏻‍♂️

He’s the most in demand forward in the game. He has literally all the leverage here and any objective person can see the sensible thing to do in his shoes is check out as many options as possible before making a decision.

If once all is said and done, ours is genuinely the best deal for him and his family, he’ll take it, and he’ll do so knowing he did the sensible thing and checked every option out first to make sure it was his best one, and he’ll be a more content player for it.
That doesn't mean it's best for us. Given his previous behavioural issues and his asking for a release I think we draw the line. Not denying his quality but he is a prop and dispensable
In my view.

This is 90s Bennett thinking. Spine can't do anything without their forwards.
You need good props for sure. Not sure you need a greedy prop who pulls this stuff every year despite the club working through his bad behaviour. I think it's time to let Payne and the drama go. Pit the best offer on the table and he can take it leave it. You can still go to market and buy a good quality prop without the destabilising attitude.

Yep him pulling the same shenanigans at the same time as last year is really screaming ‘I want to be a part of a successful team’.

He wants money and that’s it, or at least his team of decision makers do, there is nothing else to it.

It was before the Titans game at Suncorp so a bit earlier in the season.

We were on a 5 game winning streak but beating the shit teams and getting hammered by the contenders. Doesn't exactly scream we're a successful team.

Later on in the season we completely shit the bed and pulled off the worst collapse in NRL history. So it makes sense he might still be skeptical about this sides chances at success.

Yep him pulling the same shenanigans at the same time as last year is really screaming ‘I want to be a part of a successful team’.

He wants money and that’s it, or at least his team of decision makers do, there is nothing else to it.
**** off with this shit. He is not "pulling shenanigans." He's contracted to the club until the end of next year. You are doing what you constantly accuse journalists of doing but turning it up to 10.

The press has interviewed his agent to find out what's going on after Nov 1. His agent said he's had a lot of interest from other clubs, and even the NFL, but he's going in talk terms with the club today. Ultimately, this is his feeling:

“My gut feeling is he will stay at the Broncos."​

Just on a side note, we should be seriously considering mo phototaker!
He’s 23 coming into his prime would be a treat with carrigan and a fraction of the cost.

Just on a side note, we should be seriously considering mo phototaker!
He’s 23 coming into his prime would be a treat with carrigan and a fraction of the cost.
i like whatawanker but I think he'd still command close to a mill.

i like whatawanker but I think he'd still command close to a mill.
He’s on like 750k now yeah? Would be mental paying more than that surely? He’s worth that I reckon not a milly. Depends on what other desperate clubs want to pay I suppose…I hope we’re looking at options though. This haas shit will drag out and we’ll probably be left with our dicks in our hands.

It was before the Titans game at Suncorp so a bit earlier in the season.

We were on a 5 game winning streak but beating the shit teams and getting hammered by the contenders. Doesn't exactly scream we're a successful team.

Later on in the season we completely shit the bed and pulled off the worst collapse in NRL history. So it makes sense he might still be skeptical about this sides chances at success.

So he could foresee the worst collapse in history coming on the back of a five game win streak? He must be Nostradamus.

**** off with this shit. He is not "pulling shenanigans." He's contracted to the club until the end of next year. You are doing what you constantly accuse journalists of doing but turning it up to 10.

The press has interviewed his agent to find out what's going on after Nov 1. His agent said he's had a lot of interest from other clubs, and even the NFL, but he's going in talk terms with the club today. Ultimately, this is his feeling:

“My gut feeling is he will stay at the Broncos."​

When you make a coherent argument and respond to actual things that are said to facilitate good discussion, I’ll reply. Until then, please realise I don’t care what you think and will post what I like when I like.

30 years ago or so, a decision to lock down the best young prop in the game on big money delivered 2 premierships.

Here we are again.

Lazzo was a generational talent, so is Haas.

You have to try and keep guys like this.

Brisbane have shown you can build a forward pack with Marty and Jenson, guys who dont take up much of your cap but step up each and every game and give you 100%. Or if you will Hohn, Gee etc..

But i agree: there are limits.

We will need space to lock down long term our future 5/8th and hooker at the club. We cant sacrifice future spine players to keep a prop.
Agreed, but it’s shaping up to be like a Fifita or Hunt scenario where a desperate club is going to throw a kamikaze contract (insane overs that destroys their ability to compete and also hurts us in the process because we lose a key player) at Payne come November 1.

The tigers, st George, and the raiders for example have cap space and are prime candidates for a 1.8m PA offer out of nowhere. The dogs are also splashing cash.

When you make a coherent argument and respond to actual things that are said to facilitate good discussion, I’ll reply. Until then, please realise I don’t care what you think and will post what I like when I like.
I'm not the one stirring up fear and hatred towards a player who's been our best every year since signing.

He’s on like 750k now yeah? Would be mental paying more than that surely? He’s worth that I reckon not a milly. Depends on what other desperate clubs want to pay I suppose…I hope we’re looking at options though. This haas shit will drag out and we’ll probably be left with our dicks in our hands.
He is pulling Tino numbers this year and his contract is still probably based on the old cap, he would be worth around 900k to a mil at current, if Haas is a 1.1 to 1.2 mil prop.

It's pretty standard rate in the comp to have Rep level Middles on close to a mil these days.

I'm over Haas, don't care how good he is.

I'd rather divy his paycheck up between Walsh and Maam and give whatever is left over to Patty just for his loyalty and embodying what it is to be a Bronco.

Agreed, but it’s shaping up to be like a Fifita or Hunt scenario where a desperate club is going to throw a kamikaze contract (insane overs that destroys their ability to compete and also hurts us in the process because we lose a key player) at Payne come November 1.

The tigers, st George, and the raiders for example have cap space and are prime candidates for a 1.8m PA offer out of nowhere. The dogs are also splashing cash.
Quite - well if the highest bidder is West Tiger, or the Bulldogs or Saints, then thats NOT a football project that requires you as the final piece.

Thats purely for money.

Well, maybe Brisbane dont want a player motivated purely by the cash here anymore?

There are a few very good young forwards down the M1 about a hours drive or so who are quite obtainable for 80 cents on the dollar what Haas is being offered by those teams.

Yes, they would give us 80% what Haas can - but we can work around that.

Seriously Brisbane, call his bluff - dont be afraid here.

Offer him one of, if not THE, biggets offer thats possible....and leave it at that.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.