How much is too much for Payne? The saga continues...

What is the maximum per year you would offer Haas?

• Total voters
Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
If we have a strong finish to the season and actually challenge for or better yet win the premiership, I think he'll stay.

Or conversely we win, he gets his prem, and he heads off to the highest bidder to get those dollar dollar bills with a ring and no worries.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Taumalolo was similarly ‘game changing’ and ‘elite’ when the cowboys offered him enormous money and the return on investment there has been poor at best.

No matter how good Haas is, he’s a front rower and anything over $1m/year starts to seriously affect our ability to build a strong, balanced squad.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
So he could foresee the worst collapse in history coming on the back of a five game win streak? He must be Nostradamus.

Yeah, we "weren't a finals team" while we were in the Top 4? How can anyone take what his agent says seriously after that sort of bullshit? Part of that streak was defeating the eventual Grand Finalists, the Eels, so hardly a lucky streak against shit opponents.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Or conversely we win, he gets his prem, and he heads off to the highest bidder to get those dollar dollar bills with a ring and no worries.

Yeah but I'd very happily accept that in exchange for a premiership.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Taumalolo was similarly ‘game changing’ and ‘elite’ when the cowboys offered him enormous money and the return on investment there has been poor at best.

No matter how good Haas is, he’s a front rower and anything over $1m/year starts to seriously affect our ability to build a strong, balanced squad.
I think it's the length of that contract that is causing issues.

Payne's manager has indicated that he's not all that happy with his current contract, primarily because it was 6yr and he was young... so he feels he probably got underpaid early on.

If we try to go with a 4-5yr deal again, then he'll probably want a huge contract to compensate or mitigate against the length of the deal... or he'll want player options so he can move or test his value again in the future.

You could almost go with a 3yr $1.2m deal and it may not hurt you too much... that would be a 2yr extension and upgrade on next year, and take him out to end of 2026.

If he lives up to that $1.2m then happy days and you work on the next contract, if he drops a little or other players start to surpass him as the best prop in the game, then you know he's overvalued himself and there's room to move or negotiate at the next contract... Fifita took a pay cut on his $1.2m contract, but still stayed with the tits.

All that depends on where other contracts sit though. If you've got value for money contracts sitting around that need upgrading then a high value contract can impact your ability to retain them... on the other hand Reyno and Capewell are on decent contracts and nearing the end so we know there's money to spend there.

We have high value re-signings in Walsh and Mam, that are possibly just as important or arguably more in the case of Walsh, that we need to ensure can be done.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
I think Mo could be gettable at a reasonable price, if Ben Hunt's contract issue gets sorted in the off season and he gets a release the Titans will go all on him.

The Titans will probably need to free some cash, they already have plenty of forwards so Mo might be looking for a new home.

I think Hunt's release is still on the cards but the Dragons are holding off until the offseason when they have the time to look at their roster and make changes.

I can't see Tino or Dave leaving IMO.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
So he could foresee the worst collapse in history coming on the back of a five game win streak? He must be Nostradamus.

Tom Cruise What GIF

Yeah no....

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I do enjoy him on the field but has he done anything close to what he did in the last ten minutes of the Dragons game? That’s the only game he’s ever blown wide open. Otherwise he just makes a lot of metres. He’s still not a 1.1 million dollar player.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
$1.1m under the current cap is the max i would pay for him. With TPAs he could most likely get to $1.3-$1.4m territory. At the end of the day he is only a prop, he isn't a halfback or fullback who genuinely win you the games week in week out. He is replaceable quite easily with the amount of forwards that hit the market all the time. Spine players never hit the market

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Yeah, we "weren't a finals team" while we were in the Top 4? How can anyone take what his agent says seriously after that sort of bullshit? Part of that streak was defeating the eventual Grand Finalists, the Eels, so hardly a lucky streak against shit opponents.
We hadn’t beaten Parra when Haas asked for his release prior to the Titans game. We were 7 wins and 4 losses with good wins against South’s and Sharks but bad losses to Cows and Panthers.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
I do enjoy him on the field but has he done anything close to what he did in the last ten minutes of the Dragons game? That’s the only game he’s ever blown wide open. Otherwise he just makes a lot of metres. He’s still not a 1.1 million dollar player.
Taumalolo when he signed that deal 1m for 10 years did what Payne did against dragons literally every game. In fairness he signed that deal a long time ago.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
I've seen a spine do nothing with their forwards too, we all have.
If you are referring the Broncos of the last few years that is because the money was all tied up in the forwards and not the spine. The exact problem if we overpay for Haas.

I get he is chasing market value and there will be clubs who will pay a market rate that is an overpayment under the cap. I don't want it to be us. If he was squeky clean like carrigan then I would be more inclinded to consider it. I think there are 10 props who might not be as good as Payne but could do the front row job if not to the exact level. There are not 10 players to replace a Reece Walsh or an Adam Reynolds.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
If you are referring the Broncos of the last few years that is because the money was all tied up in the forwards and not the spine. The exact problem if we overpay for Haas.

I get he is chasing market value and there will be clubs who will pay a market rate that is an overpayment under the cap. I don't want it to be us. If he was squeky clean like carrigan then I would be more inclinded to consider it. I think there are 10 props who might not be as good as Payne but could do the front row job if not to the exact level. There are not 10 players to replace a Reece Walsh or an Adam Reynolds.

Yes I agree, my stance is that we shouldn't be forking out huge money for a prop. I'd be prepared to pay him well, but not to the point where it means we can't re-sign a key spine player.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014

Not a coincidence we've not seen another contract like it offered to any other player....from any other club...

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Not a coincidence we've not seen another contract like it offered to any other player....from any other club...

Long term deals fail more often than they don't.

No matter what anyone has to say, money is the biggest motivator. If you can't earn more because you're locked down on a 10 year deal, it will probably turn bad at some point. We even seen it last year when Haas wanted a release.

The number of long term deals that have ended up being tragic, it's a common theme in American sports.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I'd argue in some respects the Taumalolo deal was worth it - it's not as if he's been performing terribly (Payten has obviously changed his role since joining), they have him potentially under a bit of a discount given the salary cap rises, and having a 10 year deal means they don't deal with any potential destabilization with the vultures circling every 3-4 years and getting in his ear etc etc.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
I'd argue in some respects the Taumalolo deal was worth it - it's not as if he's been performing terribly (Payten has obviously changed his role since joining), they have him potentially under a bit of a discount given the salary cap rises, and having a 10 year deal means they don't deal with any potential destabilization with the vultures circling every 3-4 years and getting in his ear etc etc.
I’d easily do 10 year 1.1 for haas

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.