How much is too much for Payne? The saga continues...

What is the maximum per year you would offer Haas?

• Total voters
I will add this because you are great at completely missing the point, Haas requesting a release showed he didn't want to be a Bronco.
And your comment insinuates that his release request would have had no impact.

If you are playing with your mates and the best and highest paid player drops a release bombshell on you, it 100% will have an impact on the side.
I don't love it. I hated it last year, I'm less angry about it this year.

I'd be more pissed if I was a Titans fan and my captain was using a loop hole to up his value and saying he was going to the market.

Payne isn't the only bloke looking for max value.

You think that was good for the team huh? One guy demanding more money when we are doing well for the first time in 3 seasons, followed by record breaking plummet out of the 8 from a top 4 position?

Nah you right, no impact at all.
And even then, he showed he didn't want to be a Bronco by requesting a release.

My point was, I went off him when he asked for a release.was curious if anyone else felt the same.

The Broncos were in the top 4 two months after he requested a release. The players themselves kept coming out showing support for Haas.

Did the side forget for two months he asked for a release then suddenly remembered when we were going up against the Tigers?

You said these announcements would only cause division in the team and derail our season. So how is that going to happen this time if it didn’t happen last time?

That's not at all what he said, Tallis said Lazo changed results- won three teams their first comp- he changed clubs.

Is Haas going to do that? You don't have to play like Lazo you need to change clubs/results like Lazo.

But Tallis is not convinced Haas is worth more than what the Broncos are already willing to pay him.

“There’s no Glenn Lazarus in him,” Fox Sports and NRL 360 co-host Tallis said of Haas.

“I’ve watched him (Haas) really closely.

“When he was at his best, and close to winning the Dally M, the Broncos got the wooden spoon (in 2020).

“As good as Payne Haas is, and he’s an unbelievable player, it’s about changing the results.

“Is he the player that changes the result?

“That’s what you ask yourself.”
While Gordy has a point to an extent, I think he is somewhat conflating changing results with changing the scoreboard. There has definitely been games we don’t win without Haas playing - as recently as the dolphins game

I don't love it. I hated it last year, I'm less angry about it this year.

I'd be more pissed if I was a Titans fan and my captain was using a loop hole to up his value and saying he was going to the market.

Payne isn't the only bloke looking for max value.
I agree, however Haas is a repeat offender.
And i don't think Tino was offered the highest money on record for his position like Haas was.
And Tino has not repeatedly been supported through off-field discretion's.

Pretty sure Tino hasn't been a part of what got his side the wooden spoon either.

Regardless, my point was for as good as Haas is, he has shown time and again he is very willing to leave the club. Some would say more willing to leave than to stay considering the deals the Broncos have offered him over the past 12 months ( highest paid prop ever, highest paid Bronco ever ).

I am also saying that what Tino is doing is also shit, and i would be pissed as a Titans fan too, but i think it pales in comparison to Haas.

I agree, however Haas is a repeat offender.
And i don't think Tino was offered the highest money on record for his position like Haas was.
And Tino has not repeatedly been supported through off-field discretion's.

Pretty sure Tino hasn't been a part of what got his side the wooden spoon either.

Regardless, my point was for as good as Haas is, he has shown time and again he is very willing to leave the club. Some would say more willing to leave than to stay considering the deals the Broncos have offered him over the past 12 months ( highest paid prop ever, highest paid Bronco ever ).

I am also saying that what Tino is doing is also shit, and i would be pissed as a Titans fan too, but i think it pales in comparison to Haas.
Nah disagree, Haas atleast has a reason in that he was being underpaid for seasons, Tino has been on more money than Haas and he still had a cancerous clause in his contract that leaves him with all the power.

We are the Broncos everything we do has 100 times more news on it than anything else, bit if we had the Tino contract you bet it would look worse because it is worse, you also wonder how much behind the scenes isn't being reported just because it's titans and they are more than likely not filled with Media snitches who know about every Sneeze in this club

The Broncos were in the top 4 two months after he requested a release. The players themselves kept coming out showing support for Haas.

Did the side forget for two months he asked for a release then suddenly remembered when we were going up against the Tigers?

You said these announcements would only cause division in the team and derail our season. So how is that going to happen this time if it didn’t happen last time?
Because i think it will have more of a negative effect than a positive.
Simple as that.
I also didn't say he was the reason we went on a losing streak.
I said the timing of his announcements was contradictory to wanting to win a premiership (we were doing well when he requested a release) (we are also doing well now, and he is saying he is fielding other offers), If it was about winning a premiership, then he would re-sign, because we are as good a chance as any of the other top teams, and more-so than some of the teams chasing him (bulldogs).
Keep in mind he is doing all this and in the same breath saying he wants to stay at broncos and emulate Laz.
I also said it would destabilize our run into the finals, not the season.
And it very well could have both last season and this one.
He planted the seed of doubt and it took time to grow.

I just dont like the guy anymore (yes, you can dislike a guy and still acknowledge his immense skill and value to any team he plays on).
I would rather the loyal player(Patty) than the elite guy chasing top dollar (Payne).

You think that was good for the team huh? One guy demanding more money when we are doing well for the first time in 3 seasons, followed by record breaking plummet out of the 8 from a top 4 position?

Nah you right, no impact at all.
And even then, he showed he didn't want to be a Bronco by requesting a release.

My point was, I went off him when he asked for a release.was curious if anyone else felt the same.
Hated him after he requested to leave, but my hate has slowly gone away every week as he continues to perform at his level.

It is annoying that he hasn't re-signed, and yes I think it's obvious that there is no loyalty and it's all about the money (and it's not likes he's not on good coin already). I only really back him because he's a Bronco and playing well, but if there is someone better or on par I would swap him straight away.

I usually have a soft spot of ex broncos (even when they go and play for other clubs), but when Hass leaves us, I will boo him with a passion.

Nah disagree, Haas atleast has a reason in that he was being underpaid for seasons, Tino has been on more.money than Haas and he still had a cancerous clause in his contract that leaves him with all the power.

We are the Broncos everything we do has 100 times more news on it than anything else, bit if we had the Tino contract you bet it would look worse because it is worse.
No trickery from Tino, he put a clause in his contract, Titans agreed to it, clause played out, Tino see's an opportunity to drive up his price. ( i dont see him leaving Titans, they will just pay him more).

No trickery from Tino, he put a clause in his contract, Titans agreed to it, clause played out, Tino see's an opportunity to drive up his price. ( i dont see him leaving Titans, they will just pay him more).
It's not like there is any with Haas now though, the intentions were clear even if they don't favour us.

He wants to test the market and he is entitled to do so.

If Tino was on the contract Haas was on we don't know how he would act, but testing the market when he is on a mil this year and 1.1 next year is a big difference to the 850k Haas is on who is statistically a superior player.

It's not like there is any with Haas now though, the intentions were clear even if they don't favour us.

He wants to test the market and he is entitled to do so.

If Tino was on the contract Haas was on we don't know how we would act, but testing the market when he is on a mil this year and 1.1 next year is a big difference to the 850k Haas is on who is statistically a superior player.
We offered him a huge upgrade to become the highest paid Bronco of all time and he turned it down.
We also already upgraded him when it became apparent just how good he was.
He had a contract with us, and we upgraded him in good faith.

Did Tino request a release? Or just activate a clause that allows him to go back on the market (meaning Titans are free to re-negotiate a contract with him, but so are other clubs).

I will add in regards to Tino, i think the clause him and Fifita had with the Titans is a smart move when going to certain clubs that have a high turnover of coaches, or clubs that are on the brink of being a bottom side.
It gives them an opportunity to re-negotiate and get more money on the chance the coach is sacked.
If im an agent and my player is going to a club like the Tigers, im 100% putting that clause in the contract, the desperate sides will sign it, and its a win/win for the player.

And to people comparing the Tino and Haas situation, The Titans didn't give Tino his career, or bail him out and stick by him through numerous off field issues.
The Broncos did all this and more for Haas.

I hope we just get rid of Payne tbh unless he signs a 6 or 7 year deal. Drama and uncertaintey are always going to follow him directly or indirectly. Even with a long deal i wouldnt put it past him to stir shit up again if something doesnt go his way.

I hope we just get rid of Payne tbh unless he signs a 6 or 7 year deal. Drama and uncertaintey are always going to follow him directly or indirectly. Even with a long deal i wouldnt put it past him to stir shit up again if something doesnt go his way.
This is my position as well.

Ideally he signs long term, dedicates himself, drops the bullshit, and wins back to back to back premierships with us.
However i feel like its just a matter of time before he signs with the Roosters regardless of us winning a premiership or offering him record breaking deals.

Then why the long delay before the destabilising began
Because shit doesn't happen instantly.

Guys go home and lay in bed at night thinking "why is this guy who is already getting a lot more money than me, asking for more, while i get nothing"
"why is my mate who said he wants to stay a bronco asking for a release"
etc etc.
(all this is compounded by the press)

And over time, people become disgruntled and anger and resentment kick in.
Its not like you are winning, someone says something then you are losing, its a mindset that changes.

Shit like that is subtle and especially impactful on a group low on confidence due to recently winning the spoon and changing coaches etc.

Of course it may have had zero impact as well, im just speculating.
But at the end of the day, i think the impact it would have, no matter how small, would be a negative.

What Patty did, would boost morale in the group, signing a fair deal long term and committing to the team and your teammates would be a positive.

Because shit doesn't happen instantly.

Guys go home and lay in bed at night thinking "why is this guy who is already getting a lot more money than me, asking for more, while i get nothing"
"why is my mate who said he wants to stay a bronco asking for a release"
etc etc.
(all this is compounded by the press)

And over time, people become disgruntled and anger and resentment kick in.
Its not like you are winning, someone says something then you are losing, its a mindset that changes.

Shit like that is subtle and especially impactful on a group low on confidence due to recently winning the spoon and changing coaches etc.

Of course it may have had zero impact as well, im just speculating.
But at the end of the day, i think the impact it would have, no matter how small, would be a negative.

What Patty did, would boost morale in the group, signing a fair deal long term and committing to the team and your teammates would be a positive.

Yep exactly. Patty showed that his actions back up his words and that inspires other teammates and it isn't like he's being ripped off.

Payne is like screw you all, you all take less so I can get even more than I'm already on despite the club showing so much good faith to me. But get behind me lads, I've got your back...just expect an extra fee for that too...and don't step on my shoes or you'll paying me extra for damages as well...but I'm here for ya, at least until the end of this season only...probably...unless I get a better offer and agitate for a release.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mustafur
  • Jedhead
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.