How much is too much for Payne? The saga continues...

What is the maximum per year you would offer Haas?

• Total voters
mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I still find it laughable people use the Dally M's as a yardstick to measure how good a player is. Luke Brooks won Dally M halfback of the year. The system is as flawed as the Ballon d'Or
Did Luke Brooks win Dally M halfback of the year the year that Ben Hunt actually polled more points than him? I remember Ben Hunt almost won it all in 2015 and didn't even win the Dally M halfback of the year, it went to someone stupid.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Did Luke Brooks win Dally M halfback of the year the year that Ben Hunt actually polled more points than him? I remember Ben Hunt almost won it all in 2015 and didn't even win the Dally M halfback of the year, it went to someone stupid.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Yep exactly. Patty showed that his actions back up his words and that inspires other teammates and it isn't like he's being ripped off.

Payne is like screw you all, you all take less so I can get even more than I'm already on despite the club showing so much good faith to me. But get behind me lads, I've got your back...just expect an extra fee for that too...and don't step on my shoes or you'll paying me extra for damages as well...but I'm here for ya, at least until the end of this season only...probably...unless I get a better offer and agitate for a release.
The other side of that, which is just as bad, is the young guns coming through, all see Payne doing this.
It sets a standard others will follow. ( just haggle and bargain for top dollar at all cost ).

Patty set a standard as well. <---- We need more of this standard.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Could have been. Cant remember accurately.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Nah I think that was when Cherry won it.

Bhunt was untouchable in 2014... remembering also in this year he had Barba and Hoffman rotating between 6 and 1... he just put the team on his back and did everything.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Well, I wasn't convinced we would lose Haas ... but I am now. Badel "reporting" that the Tigers will launch a "big money" bid for Haas after Tigers bosses declared the have the funds to offer Payne $1 million a year.

Badel claims that Hagipantelis says if Marshall is keen, the Tigers have the salary-cap war chest to blow Brisbane out of the water ... but for some reason he hasn't included this quote from Hagipantelis

Badel did throw in some quotes from Lee Hagipantelis.

“We have cap space and we have the money for a player of Payne Haas’ calibre,” Hagipantelis said.

“His name would be floated at our list-management committee meetings, it would have to be.

“It would be naive to think that a player of the calibre of Payne Haas would not be the subject of consideration internally.

“I don’t partake in discussions at that level, so I can’t comment affirmatively, but I would be very surprised if Payne Haas’ name is not being raised internally, as you would expect it to be.

“Payne would be an incredible addition to any roster, but whether Benji wants another middle (forward), that’s for him and Tim Sheens (head coach) to ultimately determine moving forward.”
“In my experience, generally when big-name players test the market, they tend to stay where they are,” he said.

“Precedent tells us that the vast majority of these marquee players stay loyal.

“Look at Cameron Munster, Mitchell Moses, Shaun Johnson and Kalyn Ponga.

“It’s not often you see high-profile, marquee players move from club to club, but they are perfectly entitled to test their worth on the open market.

“Payne Haas is a wonderful player, but the final decision will rest with Tim and Benji.”

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The other side of that, which is just as bad, is the young guns coming through, all see Payne doing this.
It sets a standard others will follow. ( just haggle and bargain for top dollar at all cost ).

a) there is only Patty
b) even Patty tested the market before re-signing with us

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

If they want to be insanely dedicated to their training and become the best at their position, they would have a right to demand elite money? I like that example. Hopefully more players follow it. The club never loses when you have too many good players. Munster tested the market and it took founding a new betting agency by billionaire club owners and offering him private shares to get him to re-sign. All the good players test the market. Patty is one of a kind. Almost every elite NRL player who is in demand tests the market and there's a huge song and dance in the media before they eventually re-sign.

We have DD who's an elite negotiator, and Haas loves Kev, Haas will re-sign he's just trying to get a bit more which I have no qualms with from a guy who actually gives it his all every week.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
If they want to be insanely dedicated to their training and become the best at their position, they would have a right to demand elite money? I like that example. Hopefully more players follow it. The club never loses when you have too many good players. Munster tested the market and it took founding a new betting agency by billionaire club owners and offering him private shares to get him to re-sign. All the good players test the market. Patty is one of a kind. Almost every elite NRL player who is in demand tests the market and there's a huge song and dance in the media before they eventually re-sign.

We have DD who's an elite negotiator, and Haas loves Kev, Haas will re-sign he's just trying to get a bit more which I have no qualms with from a guy who actually gives it his all every week.
I wish i had your optimism mate.
I reckon he go's to the Roosters.
Hope im wrong.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

I think the main difference is Patty has an affinity with the Broncos and Payne doesnt. I doubt as a grubby nswelshman he grew up idolising legends like Webcke and Petero like Patty did ( although tbf to Payno he did look up to Lazarus ). Payne didnt grow up supporting the Broncos like Carrigan so Pats going to take less to make the club more successful if it helps. That mentality though only works if all your best players buy into that mantra.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I think the main difference is Patty has an affinity with the Broncos and Payne doesnt. I doubt as a grubby nswelshman he grew up idolising legends like Webcke and Petero like Patty did ( although tbf to Payno he did look up to Lazarus ). Payne didnt grow up supporting the Broncos like Carrigan so Pats going to take less to make the club more successful if it helps. That mentality though only works if all your best players buy into that mantra.
Do we even know what team he went for?

Most players hide it, but they kind of give it away when they talk about players they admired most.

I don't think it's the end all to be all, plenty of players become one club players for teams they didn't support as a kid, it's their experience with the team that matters most.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Nah I think that was when Cherry won it.

Bhunt was untouchable in 2014... remembering also in this year he had Barba and Hoffman rotating between 6 and 1... he just put the team on his back and did everything.

I remember the flack hunt copped when he first started in first grade coming off the bench. Was a bit like the flack Ezra Mam has copped at times this season. Same thing happened to Dearden. What a good montage of Hunt, such a great player! We signed the wrong half all those years ago!

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
While i think Paynes actions had an effect, we suffered more when we lost Carrigan. His loss hit us way harder than what Payne did. Carrigan was more important for us.
We will never know for sure if Haas was the main reason we capitulated last season. Agree losing Carrigan hurt us too. Had Haas not disrupted things would we have made the 8?, probably. Had Carrigan not been suspended, then we probably make the 8 too. What is certain is that Haas wanted more money and if we gave in to his demands, it would mean less money for others. This action is destabilising and creates unrest among the playing group. To me Haas has an attitude of its all about me and fcuk the rest of you. He has been well looked after and overpaid he he first started out, based on his potential. He has lived up to that potential, but his attitude stinks.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Do we even know what team he went for?

Most players hide it, but they kind of give it away when they talk about players they admired most.

I don't think it's the end all to be all, plenty of players become one club players for teams they didn't support as a kid, it's their experience with the team that matters most.

I think it was an interview with his father who said Newcastle, but i could easily have just imagined that!

Its not the be all and end all, but i think a player who plays for the club he supports gives a little more.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Watch the Broncos vs Dragons game and tell me who really wins games.

Go watch the NRL for a few years to get a better sample size and then we can discuss your point ...

Or ... just watch the replay of the Titans vs Broncos from 3 weeks ago . LOL .

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Go watch the NRL for a few years to get a better sample size and then we can discuss your point ...

Or ... just watch the replay of the Titans vs Broncos from 3 weeks ago . LOL .
You can't seriously make the argument Fifita is better than Haas based on tries, otherwise the Winger would be the best player according to you.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
You can't seriously make the argument Fifita is better than Haas based on tries, otherwise the Winger would be the best player according to you.

For the same money I take Fifita and his strike power over Haas`s metres .
Simples .

Unread

Active Now

• BRC088
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bazza
  • Swordfish
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Socnorb
  • MrMoore
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.