Hunt Signs with St George Illawarra

Will release Hunt early and get J Niko now Smokin' Joe?

Despite Hunts drop in form I would be upset to lose him. He's been a great clubman. Its sounds like an amazing deal though and he should take it.

I assume that Tyrone Roberts is the most likely replacement. A bit of a scary thought but what do you guys think? He's become a bit of a joke but there is some skill in there.

Yeah. Let's get him. Welcome to fighting for the wooden spoon boys.

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Well done to Benny, he's been a part of the Broncos set up for a long time so I'm sure he didn't make this decision likely. He's managed to get someone to pay imo massive overs for a long time so I can't blame him for securing his future. Good luck this year for the Broncs, hopefully you go out a winner.

Brisbane Broncos halfback Ben Hunt is set to join St George Illawarra Dragons

bf9e8761fa4d8c7486547b24df68cbea

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
January 20, 2017 1:20pm

THE Broncos have lost the battle to keep Ben Hunt, with the Dragons trumping Brisbane with a massive $6 million deal for five years, with a one-year option.
Brisbane simply could not match the Dragons deal, and Hunt reportedly told the Broncos on Friday he would be heading to Sydney at the end of the season.
With a galaxy of stars to appease under the salary cap, the Broncos’ hands were tied in a bidding war against St George Illawarra, who are desperate to attract some high-profile playing talent after a couple of poor seasons.
Representative players Josh Dugan and Tyson Frizell are the Dragons’ two highest-profile players, and coach Paul McGregor had been banking on young halfback Drew Hutchison to lead a revival this season by joining Gareth Widdop in the halves.
But Hutchison tore his ACL in pre-season training, ruling him out for the year, leaving the Dragons light on for play-makers after Benji Marshall departed for the Broncos this season.
Hunt will notarrive in time to rescue their 2017, but Dragons officials believe he is the man to build the club’s future around and were prepared to pay him as their marquee star.
Brisbane simply could afford to do that, with big-name stars Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Corey Oates and Adam Blair all free agents at the end of the year.
The Broncos see Milford as their main man after two stellar seasons as the club’s five-eighth, and his terrific form will demand a pay upgrade to keep potential poachers at bay.
Hunt’s imminent departure will place enormous pressure on Brisbane’s depth in the halves, and potentially put them on course for a tug of war with the Gold Coast over the Titans’ pair of young halves, Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey.
Taylor was released early from his Broncos contract at the end of 2015 so he could chase an NRL opportunity with the Titans — ironically because Hunt and Milford stood in his way at Brisbane.
An injury to Elgey meant Taylor had to be thrown into the spotlight last season, and he excelled — winning the Dally M Rookie of the Year award and leading Gold Coast to their first finals appearance since 2010. Taylor extended his contract late last season, tying him to the Titans until the end of 2018.
Although he missed all of last season, Elgey had a similar breakthrough year in 2015, and the Titans held off a poaching bid from Manly to keep him at Robina until the end of 2018.
That leaves Brisbane with the prospect of going into 2018 without a recognised halfback to partner Milford.
Hunt was honest about his future at Brisbane before Christmas, saying he would test his value on the open market. He also admitted he was in no rush to sign a new deal with the Broncos as he confronts the most important contract of his career.
“You have to look around,” Hunt said. “I have to make the best decision for myself and my family.
“I love the club and the Broncos have been really good to me. If this is where I am in the future, then that’s it, but I’m going to take my time this time and make the best decision for my family.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/bf9e8761fa4d8c7486547b24df68cbea

Hear that Broncos fans?

That's what dodging a bullet sounds like.

Thanks for the service Benny, you steered us through a very difficult period and I'll always be grateful for your service.

Now who's going to help me send out an SOS to Jayden?

The Jayden who couldn't make the Roosters side when they were running last? That Jayden?

And 1million will be standard wage for a starting half as and from next year.

It's called a salary cap increase.
We have our million dollar half mate his name is Anthony Milford and he will be the best player in the game for the next decade

We won a premiership with perry mate put down the gun

Oh please. Your comparing this team with 2006...righto so who are your Lockyer, Webcke, Thorn etc???

You people have completely lost it.

We have our million dollar half mate his name is Anthony Milford and he will be the best player in the game for the next decade

Nothing like building a team around a kid in his third year as a half (and given his 2016 wasn't exactly stellar).

Please people put down the bottle.

Ps if Milford is that good that he can win with a numpty at half why couldn't he win with a bloke who played for Australia next to him?

A roleplayer style half would suit us fine. An organiser with a decent kicking game would be perfect.

This brett fellow needs to calm down.

You going to add anything to the conversation or nah?

Hunt Haters can't answer the question as to where to from here.

Who is available in 2018 that will play for the pittance that we are going to offer. Names people.

Based on the criticism of Hunt on here they must have:

1) a flith kicking game - like a repeat set every 2 sets

2) to set up heaps of tries from kicks

3) game management - never makes a bad call in the last 10 minutes

4) be willing to play for 400 - 600 k per year....

Names please.

Judging from the list of off contract halves, I would go for Luke Brooks probably. The Tigers halves don't work well in tandem because they are both too similar; Luke Brooks would be the cheaper and hasn't looked terrible at organising when I've seen him, but I admittedly don't watch him often. I'm pretty sure Joey Johns said he was the new best thing once though.

Luke Brooks and SJ are the only quality halves at the end of 2017.. *welp*

Guess our prem window is closing.

I've added plenty over the last 12 months, as you're well aware. I've never rated Hunt half as much as most people on here, I was hoping that we would sign someone for 2018 before he left, but that hasn't been the case unfortunately. Nevertheless, I also agree that we dodged a MASSIVE bullet by not matching that Dragons offer, there's literally a 0% chance that he is worth that contract with what he's shown in his career. I applaud him for taking it, hopefully for his sake he doesn't suck as much as he did for us in 2016, because if he does, he'll be playing for Catalans by 2020.

On the topic of "What do we do now that our almighty saviour Ben Hunt is gone?!?" - We're the fucking Broncos and we have fucking Wayne Bennett. Do I need to say more? We'll get someone, and it'll be someone good.

Well as we have noone.

I'd be interested as to who you think this someone might be?

Active Now

• Organix
  • Emanon
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • Rowdy124
  • Old Mate
  • Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Brotherdu
  • Hurrijo
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • dasherhalo
  • Sproj
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncoscope
  • TonyTheJugoslav
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.