Hypothetical new coach in 2011?

W

winnie_992

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
With a new CEO coming in and after reading this article about players including Locky not being happy with Ivans coaching it got me thinking if Ivan was shown the door who is available in 2011. It may just be a media beat up but it is the 2nd artivcle I have seen about players not being that happy

This thread isnt supposed to be about whether Ivan should or shouldnt be coach but rather a hypothetical if he was given the flick who is available?

BRISBANE Broncos coach Ivan Henjak overruled captain Darren Lockyer's desperate plan to play against the Canberra Raiders on Friday night.

Revelations of the selection dispute came amid grumblings of a widespread rift between Henjak and his players as Brisbane missed the finals for the first time since 1991.

After demanding that Lockyer withdraw early last week, Henjak saw Brisbane's 18-year semi-finals streak come crashing down in just his second year in charge of the glamour club.

But departing CEO Bruno Cullen insists that while the six-time premiers will conduct a standard off-season review, the club remains committed to Henjak.

Despite tensions, Henjak is signed until the end of 2012 and continues to be viewed as a long-term coach.

"Ivan's stepped into the biggest shoes in rugby league over the past 20 years - having to follow an icon of the game like Wayne Bennett," Cullen said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"Last year, there were only four teams left and we were one of them, and this year he [was] still in the fight for the semi-finals [until the final round]. Two years of working really hard with a particularly young group, we think he's done really well."

In a development that is sure to sting Broncos fans, it has emerged that Henjak thwarted Lockyer's bid to play against Canberra with a rib injury.

The Test skipper could not be contacted, but it is believed he secretly pleaded with club staff to be given until match eve, last Thursday, to prove his fitness.

It is understood Lockyer was determined to defy pain and follow halfback Peter Wallace, who played with a shoulder injury that requires surgery.

But Henjak ordered Lockyer to pull the pin early in the week to limit distractions. The captain officially withdrew last Tuesday night, three days before the game.

Henjak's stance was supported by Cullen, who argued the club shouldn't risk Lockyer if he wasn't close to being fit.

"I don't think in his interests, if he's not right, that he should play," Cullen said. "Darren is a proud man and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to make it on the field."

Several Brisbane players have taken issue with other aspects of Henjak's perceived dictatorial approach.

The major sticking points are much deeper than this year's finishing position and extend to concerns over communication and man-management skills.

Worryingly, many senior players have been left frustrated by the lack of input they were given in the club's training and game-plan approach this year.

After his side's fate was sealed against Canberra, Henjak declared post-match that his players have steep lessons to learn.

"There's a lot of potential in that footy team, but if we don't put the effort in and learn a lot from this year, we'll end up in the same position we are now," Henjak said.

"There's still a lot of work to do to capitalise on the work we've done this year."

But Cullen has conceded Henjak and his coaching staff must also take stock as the club rebuilds.

"You're right, the coaching staff overall are fairly new at their jobs," Cullen said.

"Some have been around a while, but as head coaches, assistant coaches and trainers - we've got a young crop of budding coaches there as well.

"That's not a criticism, that's just a fact of life, and they will learn too.

"How we handle those sorts of things will be part of the end-of-year review."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5914209116

Danny Weidler has a hypothetical new coach.

THE Broncos' senior players are on the verge of a revolt against coach Ivan Henjak after a year of off-field misery. And it's doubtful that even the calming voice of captain Darren Lockyer will be able to change the players' thoughts about the coach. Lockyer's input in the running of the team has been scaled back and senior players are far from happy with that. When it comes to the Broncos, the order of respect in the playing group is Lockyer first and any other member of the organisation a long way behind that. Under Henjak's reign the senior players have virtually no say in the running of the team and the young players feel they can't approach the coach. Football manager Andrew Gee stepped in a few weeks ago and quietened things down - that coincided with a winning run - but the troops are more than restless again. The club has re-signed Henjak and are said to be sticking with him. They almost didn't get the signature of Greg Inglis because he had concerns about playing under Henjak and those concerns existed because he had talked with senior Brisbane players. And waiting in the wings is a quality coach such as Ricky Stuart - a player who has the respect of the Broncos' stars.

I understand we have signed Henjak for 2011. I have posted a few times that our decline this year might have been due to the players being unhappy with him.

No quality team like the Broncos in 2010, who beat so many of the top sides, suddenly nose dives as badly as we did, notwithstanding the inexperienced players we had, without there being a serious problem in the club somewhere.

I have cited Henjak's ego as being a problem. That would account for his selection policies. For me, the hypothetical is what is going to be done to get the side into the grand final next year.

In this case it is fantasy not hypothesis. My fantasy would be Mal Meninga. What a nIce fantasy.

If this article is true (which is probably 50/50) then this has to be a first for the Broncos. I must admit that I have been a supporter of Henjak and giving him the benefit of the doubt after coming out of the Bennett era, but his selections this year and his inability to motivate the team tells you there may be back room grumblings. How does the Broncos side that beat South Sydney during Origin (without Lockyer, Thaiday & Folau) capitulate in the last four weeks?
I think that whoever takes over from Bruno needs to look into the coaching immediately. Not a fan of Stuart coming to Broncos, what about Kevin Walters?

New coach won't be Ricky Stuart... Ben Hannant only signed with us because he has been told Ricky Stuart won't be coach of the Broncos next year or ever.

Bucking Beads said:
New coach won't be Ricky Stuart... Ben Hannant only signed with us because he has been told Ricky Stuart won't be coach of the Broncos next year or ever.

Well we tell Hannant that we lied. And he has to deal with it.

I don't want Ricky Stuart either.

SOS Terry Matterson!

It is all speculation at the moment. If there is problems with Ivan from the players things need to be looked at though.
I'd be keen to see Terry Matterson as coach.

Bucking Beads said:
Really? Why is that?

This does concern me, being a coach (or even a manager in a regular business) is all about man management (or person management in business). If Henjak doesn't include his players, involves them in decisions, isn't approachable etc. then he won't have the respect of players.

Just think back to when you had a bad manager at work, I've had many, and the last thing you want to do for them is work/compete for them.

I want a coach who has no ties to the Broncos.

Maybe someone who really hates us, like Ricky Stuart or Brian Smith.

lyn said:
Bucking Beads said:
Really? Why is that?

I thought it was because Stuart came out & said, Hannant was lying about the reasons he wanted to come back to QLD.

Provided it's true, it is concerning to read something like this. As Ghibli said, man management is an integral part of being a coach. You need to have the player's respect and you need to respect them.

IF a large amount of players have issues with Henjak, well they'll all have to sort it out, otherwise I can't see the situation getting any better on the field.

lyn said:
Bucking Beads said:
Really? Why is that?

Ben Hannant didn't want to be coached by Ricky Stuart??

The Rock said:
It'll be an absolute disgrace if we have a new coach for 2011. It's obvious that a rookie coach has a bit to learn so he's not going to get everything right. Giving him 2 years on the job is not enough. I'm happy to give him until the end of next year. After 3 years we'll have a good idea on whether he's the man to take us long term.

But considering this is hypothetical - I'd LOVE to have Ricky Stuart. He'd straighten up our defence.

Ricky would help with our defence but I'd be concerend about what he would do to the club TBH. Very good coach though.

The Rock said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":r02dw88m][quote="The Rock":r02dw88m]It'll be an absolute disgrace if we have a new coach for 2011. It's obvious that a rookie coach has a bit to learn so he's not going to get everything right. Giving him 2 years on the job is not enough. I'm happy to give him until the end of next year. After 3 years we'll have a good idea on whether he's the man to take us long term.

But considering this is hypothetical - I'd LOVE to have Ricky Stuart. He'd straighten up our defence.

Ricky would help with our defence but I'd be concerend about what he would do to the club TBH. Very good coach though.[/quote:r02dw88m]

Why what would he do to the club?[/quote:r02dw88m]

Destroy it.

Obviously concerning if true and to be honest, at least from what I can see from my armchair, not totally surprising. But to date, I still give Ivan the BOD.

Hypothetically, Matterson would be a good alternative to have a look at.

A dream signing though would be Malcolm Norman Meninga, should he ever consider a return to club coaching. The way he would instill team values and confidence would be just what this club needs at the moment, and things would naturally flow from there.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
Obviously concerning if true and to be honest, at least from what I can see from my armchair, not totally surprising. But to date, I still give Ivan the BOD.

Hypothetically, Matterson would be a good alternative to have a look at.

A dream signing though would be Malcolm Norman Meninga, should he ever consider a return to club coaching. The way he would instill team values and confidence would be just what this club needs at the moment, and things would naturally flow from there.

Amen.

Hypothetically, Henjak minus the ego and arrogance

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Browny
  • Bongo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • teampjta
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Shane Tronc
  • Brotherdu
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Lostboy
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • lynx000
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Socnorb
  • Battler
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.