Hypothetical: Who would you trade with Souths?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Hypothetical situation. Pretend all contracts are null and void. You can choose 3 players from Souths to come to the Broncos, and 3 players to trade in return. The only caveat is that the players chosen from each team need to add up to approximately the same value on the salary cap, ie, you can't dump depth players and pick up superstars. For arguments sake, TPJ, Lodge etc are likely to be Broncos next year, so can be included in the swaps.

Name your 3+3, then your final Broncos squad.

My choices would be to release Bird ($750k), McGuire ($650k) & Gillett ($700k), and sign Burgess ($1m), Reynolds ($800k), and Campbell Graham ($300k).

01 Boyd
02 Oates
03 Staggs
04 Roberts
05 Isaako
06 Milford
07 Reynolds
08 Lodge
09 McCullough
10 Ofahengaue
11 Pangai Junior
12 Su'a
13 Burgess

14 Nikorima
15 Glenn
16 Fifita
17 Haas

18 Graham
19 carrigan
20 Mago
21 Fai

Kodi Nikorima for Adam Reynolds.

Josh McGuire for Sam Burgess.

That's it.

Kodi Nikorima for Adam Reynolds.

Josh McGuire for Sam Burgess.

That's it.

The only caveat is that the players chosen from each team need to add up to approximately the same value on the salary cap

a351365566fb982c32038a92a679e41f

Assuming you really could get absolutely anyone and ditch anyone I'd probably release Bird (750k) Boyd (750k) Mcguire (650k) and bring in Johnston, Adam Reynolds and Sam Burgess.

A slightly more realistic approach would probably be something like Bird, McGuire and bringing over Reynolds and Graham.

Send them anyone over 30, and sign up their guns.

Sounds realistic.

Let's say that the media are onto something and James Roberts, Matt Lodge & Tevita Pangai Jr all want to go play under Wayne. Under the 2019 cap, I'd say there's a million dollars to play with. So I'd look into their best juniors - Cameron Murray, Campbell Graham & Mawene Hiroti. Souths still get the better end of the deal, but the Broncos get some quality prospects in a position of need.

Flick: Boyd, Bird, Macca

Bring in: Gagai (to play wing), Reynolds, Cook.

Haven’t you heard? Burgess isn’t on ridiculous money at Rabbitohs. That’s how they can afford to keep him. Because his value didn’t apparently increase by much.

Boyd - Inglis.
If Inglis really is cooked as a FB then he can stay at centre, move Isaako to fullback and Kahu to wing.

Cook - McCullough.
Straight swap (Cook hasn’t got his pay rise yet).

Minimum wage player - Glenn.
Not saying Glenn isn’t worth much (I’d miss him dearly, such a competitor), just need to be reasonable with the values swapped and we really do have a wealth of second rowers.

Last edited:
Buck the Bronco (mascot not the actual horse) for Reggie Rabbit. Then we can sacrifice Reggie to the football God Scott Minto for a premiership.

The only players I would take from the 2018 Souths squad are Cook, Arey (short contract), and SB. I wouldn't dream of paying SB what he's getting paid at Souths given our forward depth. I'd also consider Crichton, but we don't need him and it's debatable whether Fifita and/or Su'a will end up better than him on less cash, so he's a no go. GI is an injured mess and a shadow of his former self.

Last edited:
Only one I would entertain would be McC for Cook.

I guarantee you if we made that proposal, Souths and Bennett would tell us to go walk.

Last edited:
Hypothetical situation. Pretend all contracts are null and void. You can choose 3 players from Souths to come to the Broncos, and 3 players to trade in return. The only caveat is that the players chosen from each team need to add up to approximately the same value on the salary cap, ie, you can't dump depth players and pick up superstars. For arguments sake, TPJ, Lodge etc are likely to be Broncos next year, so can be included in the swaps.

Name your 3+3, then your final Broncos squad.

My choices would be to release Bird ($750k), McGuire ($650k) & Gillett ($700k), and sign Burgess ($1m), Reynolds ($800k), and Campbell Graham ($300k).

01 Boyd
02 Oates
03 Staggs
04 Roberts
05 Isaako
06 Milford
07 Reynolds
08 Lodge
09 McCullough
10 Ofahengaue
11 Pangai Junior
12 Su'a
13 Burgess

14 Nikorima
15 Glenn
16 Fifita
17 Haas

18 Graham
19 carrigan
20 Mago
21 Fai
I dont want to lose TPJ but if we did it would soften the blow if we picked up either of the Burgess boys. Preferably George based on last year.
Re Macca for Cook yes please but wont happen. Murray for Bird would give us cap space. Allen back to Broncs seeing as Wayne flicked him. Gagai loves Wayne so will stay put you'd imagine. Inglis could come in as captain and play in centres.
One things for sure, our squad will evolve and needs to

Does Cook come as a package deal with the Burgess brothers because the bloke has been invisible without them knocking the markers over

Does Cook come as a package deal with the Burgess brothers because the bloke has been invisible without them knocking the markers over

Except in all 3 Origins where he was neck and neck with Tedesco for the most dangerous player on the park.

Is this part of your pro-Macca agenda? I know you have an unwavering love for him, but surely you can at least admit there's better 9's in the game than him right now..

Except in all 3 Origins where he was neck and neck with Tedesco for the most dangerous player on the park.

Is this part of your pro-Macca agenda? I know you have an unwavering love for him, but surely you can at least admit there's better 9's in the game than him right now..
Nah it's part of my being honest about the shiny new thing the NRL and it's fans get excited about agenda. He was great against a second rate Queensland team that should never have been in the game. I didn't bring up McCullough, you did. Just because I don't exaggerate his deficiencies doesn't mean I think he's the best hooker in the game. I've spoken about Cook throughout the year and praised him. But he was definitely aided by the Burgess brothers taking out markers.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Jedhead
  • Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.