NEWS Inside the Citadel: The siege mentality that powers Bennett and the Broncos

"There is no other club in any sport in this country," Bennett proclaimed, "who would have pulled together in the last couple of weeks after all the adversity that we have been through."

Crows had their coach murdered and made the GF.

They made it two years later btw

Crows did make the grand final last year. Their banner was a tribute to him on Grand Final day.

Their game the next week was cancelled only one in AFL history. Maybe the Broncos should have got the game against Cowboys cancelled due to the worst week ever in sport?
You're so quick to bag the broncos that you totally miss the point of what's being said most of the time. Who here has said the broncos have endured the worst week in the history of Australia sport? Including Bennett. I'm glad the media think like you though, he got exactly the same reaction from them and it is exactly the reaction he was probably looking for. Played like a fiddle they were......

Yeah sorry missed a year. Poor counting doesn't change my opinion that murder trumps articles in a paper. Making a Grand Final after that is pretty big.

Can you not see what's wrong with your comment?

Come on...

Can you not see what's wrong with your comment?

Come on...

I don't know what you mean.

It was pretty basic and not even meant as criticism. I think it was a bit sloppy and not really of his usual standard because it didn't show much perspective. I do think plenty of clubs could overcome the Broncos' week.

Crows was the first thing to come to mind when you talk about overcoming and still being successful.

Bennett could have said it a lot better and made his point. I think he had his heart set on sticking it up them and fair enough no dramas, he hates those media all ins because it helps laziness so he said it and walked off.

They made it two years later btw

I know that, even though I can't count months.

If Bennett was murdered two years ago and the Broncos won this year- you don't think this group of players would have overcome something pretty horrific. It was still the same group, they paid tribute to him on GF day.

I was just giving it some perspective, I really don't think the week was that bad.

Bennett's press conference was over dramatic imo. And it was indicative of someone who was under pressure I thought.

Bennett's press conference was over dramatic imo. And it was indicative of someone who was under pressure I thought.
Or more like someone playing the media like a fiddle...

I know that, even though I can't count months.

If Bennett was murdered two years ago and the Broncos won this year- you don't think this group of players would have overcome something pretty horrific. It was still the same group, they paid tribute to him on GF day.

I was just giving it some perspective, I really don't think the week was that bad.

I don’t think he was referencing the past week alone. He was having a massive crack at the ridiculous campaign from the media toward Lodge, and the very obvious agenda they were running. They then come out and get hammered by the Dragons, and every media outlet from all over the east coast was running with lead stories of Where to Next, and how we had missed every young gun since Lockyer. The sky was falling in! Bennetts lost it, the halves are useless, forwards are soft....

I would say from where Wayne, the staff and the players sat, it was a rough few weeks. Not many of them escaped criticism publicly, from Paul White down to the young players and recruitment officers.

Sure, there were no murders, but I don’t think Wayne was too far from the mark in what he said.

Sure, there were no murders, but I don’t think Wayne was too far from the mark in what he said.

Yeah..exactly. WB was fumbling with his words when he said it. I don't suppose he thought anyone would be anal retentive enough to take it literally or bother questioning its accuracy.

We get it Wayne....tough couple weeks, ehh?

I don't know what you mean.

It was pretty basic and not even meant as criticism. I think it was a bit sloppy and not really of his usual standard because it didn't show much perspective. I do think plenty of clubs could overcome the Broncos' week.

Crows was the first thing to come to mind when you talk about overcoming and still being successful.

Bennett could have said it a lot better and made his point. I think he had his heart set on sticking it up them and fair enough no dramas, he hates those media all ins because it helps laziness so he said it and walked off.

"There is no other club in any sport in this country that could have pulled together like we did in the last couple of weeks"

How long did it take the Crows? Their next game after their coach was killed, they were flogged.

What a weird thing for people to get upset about Bennett saying. It was an off the cuff remark, in a heated situation, and someone wants to debate if another club has had it tougher?

Yep, the Crows had a rough time. But at least 100% of the country was 100% supporting them.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Gaz
  • Broncosgirl
  • rnabokov
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.