International rugby league

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
Not

Not so easy to guarantee when they are second tier nations. These players minds can fluctuate all the time. Isaiya Katoa can play for all 3 of Tonga, Australia and New Zealand. Obviously with Tonga and Australia he is eligible for origin but he is kiwi born so never rule it out. He stated earlier in the year that he dreams to play for the all blacks and whilst that’s one thing coming from Aussie born Kalyn Ponga it could very well mean his heart lies in New Zealand if he was ever to be picked by them or at least more so than Tonga or Australia. Same goes with Karl (3 national teams eligibility) and whilst Hamiso doesn’t have that 3rd option I think he leans more towards his Torres Strait culture and combine that with being Australian born the desire probably sways more towards Australia if he has the honour of being in contention. There is undoubtedly success in the future for these pacific island nations but whether there is a long term success off the back of those 3 in my opinion quite unlikely.

I think it's a bit pre-emptive to think Hamiso favours playing for Australia over Samoa, but I guess we will know in the future because he looks likely off of Game 1 Atleast to make the Kangaroos on form, but his dads side is Samoan who is very much still in his life so I would be surprised if he doesn't go that path for the international game, playing for QLD would be a big part of his home culture I would think. but I'm not going to speak for him.

For the other players it's very rarely they pick other then the State of Origin path if they are eligible because it's the pinnacle of the game which rules out the other Tier 1 nations unfortunately, I don't think Tier 1 status should rule it out but that is the rules.

If He played for Samoa he would easily get to play his best position too, love watching Hamiso he would be a Samoan god staying with their team.

IRL have agreed to a new International calender.

• International Rugby League has agreed an International Calendar to 2030.
  • The return of the Ashes, with England Men and Women to tour Australia in 2025.
  • Kangaroo and Kiwi tours to resume.
  • International tours for other nations are back on the agenda.
  • Dedicated Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere Tri-Nations and Four Nations tournaments.
  • Greater emphasis on Regional Championships and World Cup qualifying process, including a new World Series to help nations develop.
  • Men’s and Women’s games to grow under new International Calendar.
  • Change to World Cups cycle, with the next World Cup for Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair teams to be staged in 2026.
  • A World Cup every two years, with a stand-alone Women’s World Cup in 2028, followed by the Men’s World Cup in 2030.
  • No World Cup 9s in the calendar as IRL focuses on developing 13-a-side and Wheelchair games.
The Kangaroo tours are back, **** yeah.

I completely agree with the 10 team world cup, I know it takes alot of teams out of it but last world cup had far too much cannon fodder it was kinda embarrassing.

Focus on building the nations that have a solid footing first, I don't know how they will do the group stages because having two 5 team groups will not work with only 1 team dropping out before the knockouts there will be no Jeopordy, I think having the stronger teams in groups and weaker in others like before is the right way imo.

You don't want tier 1 nations going up against teams like Greece or Italy and making it a joke.

Someone on Reddit came up with the idea of having England being Great Britain instead which I think is a good idea, soo long as you take away the tier 1 eligibility writing people off for Origin, than you can add players such as Sam Walker or the like who will probably be rep level quality by then, it could close the gap to the Aussies and Kiwis.

The next world cup will almost certainly be Aus/NZ hosting as they said it will be southern hem, all of the pacific nations should atleast host a game in their country.

Rugby League internationals can seem like a bit of a joke compared to other sports but especially Union which is always what it gets compared to obviously given the two codes history but what League does have over Union is the number 1 club league in the world for both codes financially and competitively in one of the most Multicultural Countries on earth, which expands the player pool big time.

Focus on building the nations that have a solid footing first, I don't know how they will do the group stages because having two 5 team groups will not work with only 1 team dropping out before the knockouts there will be no Jeopordy, I think having the stronger teams in groups and weaker in others like before is the right way imo.

My guess would be a 4 3 3 format. They have had 3 team groups before.

Rough draw:

Australia, NZ/England, PNG, Wales or another tier 2 nation.
England/NZ, Tonga, Lebanon
Samoa, Fiji, France

Top 2 from each advance.

My guess would be a 4 3 3 format. They have had 3 team groups before.

Rough draw:

Australia, NZ/England, PNG, Wales or another tier 2 nation.
England/NZ, Tonga, Lebanon
Samoa, Fiji, France

Top 2 from each advance.
Yeah lopsided groups are the best option for now, the outlier in the top group will be cannon fodder, I would feel bad for PNG in that system you drew up though.

Cook islands might be better than another European team if we are talking purely quality though, Piakura and Willison look to be solid first graders coming through and by then I think Val homes will play for them as he probably doesn't make the Roos squad atleast by what I see now, and was almost going to make the switch last world cup, as we saw in the last world cup having solid first graders even out of position is a huge bonus.

If Gould can rub his magic in the Bankstown system for Dogs like he did with Penrith I can see Lebanon being a big mover in the future, they already have one of the best halves in the game, they just need more first grade quality to fill out the squad,

Internationals are back at the end of the season, with 2 groups of 3 teams based on ranking, Tonga is doing a Tour in England so will not be involved.

Aus, NZ and Samoa play 2 Games with a Final based on Aggregate.

Same with the 2nd group of PNG, Fiji and Cook Islands.

Odd selection of Stadiums used in Australia with Brisbane and Sydney not hosting any games, Eden Park will host NZ vs Samoa and a Big crowd is expected.

Hamilton to Host the final.

PNG will host all the Group 2 games.

How do you **** up the timing so bad that you have a Pacific nation missing on a championship for Pacific nations?

How do you **** up the timing so bad that you have a Pacific nation missing on a championship for Pacific nations?
I think it's not that bad because then what would England do?

France is pretty much cannon fodder for them.

Meninga is absolutely kidding himself if he truely believes that Tedesco should hold his spot at fullback for Australia. There's no loyalty needed when we have the greatest choice of young men in the world. Someone younger and better has come through to make this team even better. Teddies time is done and time to move on to bigger and better Reece Lightning.

Meninga is absolutely kidding himself if he truely believes that Tedesco should hold his spot at fullback for Australia. There's no loyalty needed when we have the greatest choice of young men in the world. Someone younger and better has come through to make this team even better. Teddies time is done and time to move on to bigger and better Reece Lightning.
I hope he is just saying this nonsense so he can tell Teddy behind doors to retire from international footy with dignity, because there is no way he should get the fullback spot.

I kind of hope he does pick Teddy. Walsh has had a huge year and deserves a good rest and another full preseason. I'd prefer as few of our players were picked in these teams as possible tbh.
Outside of giving him a carrot to push for, I'm not the biggest fan of this logic.

I would be fine if Ponga got the fullback but not Teddy, who doesn't deserve it at all.

Ponga getting the fullback and Reece not selected though I'm fine with, I think that's good for him, Teddy being selected and Walsh not being a part of the squad wouldn't be best outcome because he would know just like us it's nonsense(he does watch the games remember).

You don't want Walsh being scarred by what he knows isn't performance based, at that age everything is magnified you want things to make sense so he can work on it.

The GF winner usually provides a few extras in the side so we will get a few in there.

Patty should be starting lock over Yeo.... but they'll probs go full NSWRL and have Murray jump straight to the spot and Patty on the bench

Mal will pick Teddy because he's the captain. I'd be surprised if he doesn't announce his Aus rep retirement during the tournament.
Yep that's how I see it. With Walsh on the bench.

By the way Hazza, every single time I see your avatar, I smile & chuckle.
Gold

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Midean
  • MrMoore
  • The Don
  • Fozz
  • ezpz
  • Dash
  • jd87
  • winslow_wong
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • Horseheadsup
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Volvo Driver
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.