Intimidating Football Club Sides

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Which is a football team, that in your opinion, is so stacked full of talent, that versing them at club level would be exceptionally intimidating.

To go against the cliche EPL model, one such example that springs to mind in my opinion would be Bayern Munich. Schweinsteiger in the midfield leading into Klose and Podolski in the area would be almost bordering on unfair. icon_smile

Let's not limit this to any particular national league or its "lower" leagues hey chaps.

nice to have a football thread at least 2 posts without any mention of an english team! however i think chelsea are intimidating with their awesome boring football, as are bolton wanderers with their solid long ball play.

seriously tho, when it comes to european football, there are 2 teams traditionally, that i really hope we never get drawn against and thats AC Milan and Real Madrid. Milan are just so good at european football, doesnt matter how well they are going in the league, they will get results in europe, this has been the case for as long as i can remember. Real def have lost their aura a little for sure, as they constantly under perform in europe for the past 3 or 4 seasons (including yesterdays awesome juve win, go juve!!!!) but in the early 2000s they most of the team had teams beat before the match with their ultimate star power, but real and later barca proved that the star power didnt really work. whats the deal with that anyway, too many egos or something?

In the 90s as well you def could make a case for Juventus to be a very intimidating side. a very strong defense consisting of relative nobodies in Ferrara, Jugovic, Iuliano & Montero. a whos who of football in midfield at times with Baggio, Zidane, Davids, Nedved, Del Piero and with the strike force of Ravanelli and Vialli, they were intimidating as hell!

The Brisbane Broncos of the 1990s were the most intimidating football club side I've seen.

pennywisealfie said:
nice to have a football thread at least 2 posts without any mention of an english team! however i think chelsea are intimidating with their awesome boring football, as are bolton wanderers with their solid long ball play.

seriously tho, when it comes to european football, there are 2 teams traditionally, that i really hope we never get drawn against and thats AC Milan and Real Madrid. Milan are just so good at european football, doesnt matter how well they are going in the league, they will get results in europe, this has been the case for as long as i can remember. Real def have lost their aura a little for sure, as they constantly under perform in europe for the past 3 or 4 seasons (including yesterdays awesome juve win, go juve!!!!) but in the early 2000s they most of the team had teams beat before the match with their ultimate star power, but real and later barca proved that the star power didnt really work. whats the deal with that anyway, too many egos or something?

In the 90s as well you def could make a case for Juventus to be a very intimidating side. a very strong defense consisting of relative nobodies in Ferrara, Jugovic, Iuliano & Montero. a whos who of football in midfield at times with Baggio, Zidane, Davids, Nedved, Del Piero and with the strike force of Ravanelli and Vialli, they were intimidating as hell!

Teams with star power can work, but the balance still needs to be there, Real Madrid during the "Galacticos" era could have been one of the best teams ever if they had not sold Makelele and bought a decent defender or 2, but they didn't and on the whole, the era was unsucessful.

Barca sucked in the last few years because they had one of the worst managers ever.

Well we all know the current Geelong side of 07/08 just has that aura of absolute dominance to them but the Brisbane Lions during their golden era I'd have to say were quite intimidating not only for their ability to win matches but the brutality they used during games. This may have cost them a few injuries or two but they definitely made their presence felt during games with some hard nuts like Pike, Voss, Black, Leppitsch, Scott brothers and Brown running around just to name a few. I clearly remember the first round of the season when they played the Saints and Riewoldt had injured his collarbone and was taking himself off when Mal Michael and one of the Scott brothers came in and shoulder charged him to make a statement that the Lions weren't done with.

Yeah, nothing like a bunch of thugs to be "intimidating". That was one of the most disgusting incidents I've seen on a sporting field, Kan. It'd be like in league tackling a bloke being interchanged.

Kan said:
Well we all know the current Geelong side of 07/08 just has that aura of absolute dominance to them but the Brisbane Lions during their golden era I'd have to say were quite intimidating not only for their ability to win matches but the brutality they used during games. This may have cost them a few injuries or two but they definitely made their presence felt during games with some hard nuts like Pike, Voss, Black, Leppitsch, Scott brothers and Brown running around just to name a few. I clearly remember the first round of the season when they played the Saints and Riewoldt had injured his collarbone and was taking himself off when Mal Michael and one of the Scott brothers came in and shoulder charged him to make a statement that the Lions weren't done with.

HA HA FUCKIN HILARIOUS man you are funnny!!

Coxy said:
Yeah, nothing like a bunch of thugs to be "intimidating". That was one of the most disgusting incidents I've seen on a sporting field, Kan. It'd be like in league tackling a bloke being interchanged.

Never said it was sportsmanlike and I agree it was a dirty act. But take that out and the context behind that act was to let the rest of the league know that they weren't finished with yet when everyone thought their era was over after 3 consecutive premierships.

fenomeno, if you don't have anything productive to say then don't say it - as cliche as it sounds but I couldn't give two sh*ts about what you think if you're throwing around worthless comments like that. The thread was title initimidating football club sides, I don't understand why it would be limited to just European football. [icon_shru

The crazy gang of Wimbeldon in the 80's were pretty scary (f*ck taking on Vinnie Jones lol) but not overly intimidating in terms of talent. Liverpool in the 80's had stacks of talent, they were definitely an intimidating team; Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes, Ian Rush etc. I've always thought Manchester Uniteds midfield of the late 90's was amazing too Beckham-Scholes-Keane-Giggs.

AC Milan have got some big names in their midfield at the moment - Kaka, Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf. It will be interesting to see if Beckham makes an impact there at all in January as well eusa_think

And Penny don't get jealous, English clubs usually get the mention first cause they play in a far superior league. [icon_wink

Kingdom For A Heart said:
Which is a football team, that in your opinion, is so stacked full of talent, that versing them at club level would be exceptionally intimidating.

To go against the cliche EPL model, one such example that springs to mind in my opinion would be Bayern Munich. Schweinsteiger in the midfield leading into Klose and Podolski in the area would be almost bordering on unfair. icon_smile

Let's not limit this to any particular national league or its "lower" leagues hey chaps.

Hmmm at the moment I would be more intimidated by Hull than Bayern. They are utter rubbish. I don't think they are even in the top half of the Bundesliga.

BRFC said:
Kingdom For A Heart said:

Hmmm at the moment I would be more intimidated by Hull than Bayern. They are utter rubbish. I don't think they are even in the top half of the Bundesliga.

Schweinsteiger > Winky though obv.

Stoke, wigan, Hull any of the sides just above us at the moment, actually that is 19 sides at present..........so all 19 of the teams above us in the EPL :cry: :cry:

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.