Intrust Super Cup 2018

I dont need the proof. I didnt bag him i asked why he should be given an nrl contract? So real facts from the qrl dont matter? Muppet..

You are way off the mark. How many pkayers are getting missed ar 23??? This should be interesting.

Glad you corrected yourself about Munster, becasue you had zero idea at all.
He actually did show up at red hill and was ignored for 4 days so he went back to rocky.
And he did play for a miserable team in the capras, this is where Melbourne came in and got their man. He got signed out of the capras and not easts....

Yawn!!!!

Firstly, i think you should ask your teacher to give you some help with your spelling when you get back to school tomorrow. Its atrocious. Don't call people muppet's when you can't even spell " at " properly.

Secondly, like i said ages ago but you ignored because you aren't the smartest, give us some information about what kind of tackles he is missing. Are they one on one misses for example? What you posted is so vague its comical to even consider them. For all you know ( and i don't think you know much ) he could have got run over like JT2 ran over Tedesco. Yep its a missed tackle, but you wouldn't blame him for it either. Give us some context to where he is weak. All missed tackles aren't alike.

Thirdly, i'm going to help you out here because i'm a very nice guy, a bit of a football guru and honestly, i'm kind of a big deal. You need to grasp what i'm saying even though it doesn't suit your very flawed argument about player recruitment. It doesn't matter that every situation wont be identical, or every player wont be recruited and developed at the same age. If we let quality players in our main scouting areas slip through our fingers, its an error on our part. That's our recruitment team not doing its job properly. Just because a player isn't recruited at young age it doesn't mean he isn't good enough. Purcell might get an NRL gig, he might not, but just because he hasn't got one yet doesn't mean a thing really. Players develop at different rates.

I'll leave it at that unless you can put up some well constructed arguments, or your spelling improves.

Last edited:
Firstly, i think you should ask your teacher to give you some help with your spelling when you get back to school tomorrow. Its atrocious. Don't call people muppet's when you can't even spell " at " properly.

Secondly, like i said ages ago but you ignored because you aren't the smartest, give us some information about what kind of tackles he is missing. Are they one on one misses for example? What you posted is so vague its comical to even consider them. For all you know ( and i don't think you know much ) he could have got run over like JT2 ran over Tedesco. Yep its a missed tackle, but you wouldn't blame him for it either. Give us some context to where he is weak. All missed tackles aren't alike.

Thirdly, i'm going to help you out here because i'm a very nice guy, a bit of a football guru and honestly, i'm kind of a big deal. You need to grasp what i'm saying even though it doesn't suit your very flawed argument about player recruitment. It doesn't matter that every situation wont be identical, or every player wont be recruited and developed at the same age. If we let quality players in our main scouting areas slip through our fingers, its an error on our part. That's our recruitment team not doing its job properly. Just because a player isn't recruited at young age it doesn't mean he isn't good enough. Purcell might get an NRL gig, he might not, but just because he hasn't got one yet doesn't mean a thing really. Players develop at different rates.

I'll leave it at that unless you can put up some well constructed arguments, or your spelling improves.

So are you suggesting he got run over 38 times like tedesco??
So i am still waiting for you to give me some real data and facts around the recruitment piece.
I have asked multiple times why 16 clubs havent picked this guy up? Tumbleweed...

Football guru and kind of a big deal. Thats the best ever.
Let me guess you are probably daniel o'dowell's cousin or something like that.
As for spelling, ever heard of a type o?

So are you suggesting he got run over 38 times like tedesco??
So i am still waiting for you to give me some real data and facts around the recruitment piece.
I have asked multiple times why 16 clubs havent picked this guy up? Tumbleweed...

Football guru and kind of a big deal. Thats the best ever.
Let me guess you are probably daniel o'dowell's cousin or something like that.
As for spelling, ever heard of a type o?

Its actually spelt typo in its abbreviated form. Type O is actually a blood type. You really aren't helping yourself here.

Names also should have capitals at the start. Just a tip for you there. Might help you get out of grade 7.

And if you read properly, i was merely giving you a helping hand by giving you examples of types of tackles to try to help you out with your flimsy stats. You probably judge all forwards by running meters. As i keep telling you, there are missed tackles, and then there are missed tackles. Some you can prevent, others you can't. I'd like you to tell me which out of the 38 were poor tackling and judgement by Purcell, and which weren't. Its really not a difficult question. I dont need to provide you with anything in regards to his tackling as i'm not the one questioning it.

What data would you like me to provide regarding recruitment? Specifically around Purcell? If it is, i don't know why other clubs haven't picked him up, and neither do you quite honestly. You are simply making a guess because you don't know for certain either. And when i said some players just sometimes slip through the net or don't get a lucky break, i'm referring to Purcell. If you want other data regarding recruitment, i'll do my best to help you out. Thats what football gurus do.

Last edited:

Just got to love how you correct his English the way I sometimes do. So I thought I'd join in and remind you that it's won't not wont and it should be I rather than i! It's I'm rather than i'm and finally it's it's and not its. You know, when you referred to his spelling as 'its atrocious'. Bohh, that wuz fun.

Just got to love how you correct his English the way I sometimes do. So I thought I'd join in and remind you that it's won't not wont and it should be I rather than i! It's I'm rather than i'm and finally it's it's and not its. You know, when you referred to his spelling as 'its atrocious'. Bohh, that wuz fun.

My spelling is fine, it's my punctuation that's wrong :biggrin:

But at least I know when to use a full stop :crazylick:

Last edited:
My spelling is fine, it's my punctuation that's wrong :biggrin:

But at least I know when to use a full stop :crazylick:
That's the spirit.................................................

Freaks, stats leaders & award winners: Walker

Author
Chris Walker
Timestamp
Sat 25 Aug 2018, 07:58 AM

There are 10 to 15 players who will play NRL this weekend who are not fit to lace up Michael Purcell's boots, in my opinion.
The leading try-scorer going into the final round of the Intrust Super Cup, Purcell was born with gifts that no amount of training can ever bring you.
People talk about NRL clubs "taking a gamble" on the freakish talent – but to me there is no gamble.
Players like him know to be in the right spot at the right time.
You think it's a fluke, but they do it week-in and week-out, so it can't be.
They anticipate when something big is about to happen or an opportunity will open up, and they sidle up beside in perfect position.
I'd love to see Craig Bellamy get his hands on Purcell and give him a crack at Melbourne.
michael-purcell-crop.jpg

He's half-a-metre in pace off Josh Addo-Carr, but with better game awareness.
I've been saying for three years that he has NRL written all over him and I think it's nonsense he hasn't been given a go.
You have to remember the 18 tries he scored so far this season came with him missing two months in the middle of the season with a broken arm.
His fitness base is outstanding, his balance is remarkable, and he is a genuine gem of a bloke.
It'd be remiss not to mention Daniel Ogden here, who Purcy overtook last week for tries this season, but who still boasts the all-time record in the Intrust Super Cup.
Oggy has many of the same attributes I've discussed in regard to Purcy.
I won't insult him by saying you couldn't tell he was a footballer by looking at him, because he is still a specimen, but you probably can't measure his impact on first impressions.
He knows where the line is and has an uncanny knack of getting there via whatever means.
He just loves scoring tries.
I'm sad to hear he is retiring and hasn't received his crack at the NRL, but I think we all have to put our hands together and say he's been a wonderful servant for the state competition.
The stats tell me Daniel leads the league in line breaks too, doing so from a team that will finish in the bottom five.
Perusing some of the other statistical categories, I'm pleased to see players from my old club Ipswich Jets figuring strongly.
Ben Shea has more metres (3,355), more runs (341) and more post-contact metres (1,477m) than anybody else in the Intrust Super Cup.
He's been a massive boost to the Jets this season and has a work ethic that is unbelievable.
I follow him on Instagram and he's up doing 5-6km runs the day after games.
You might expect that of a winger, but for a forward who gets beaten up and has carried a few knee injuries, it shows real drive and mental strength.
In most of the statistical categories, Ben is just a nose in front of Nat Neale, who himself leads the league in offloads (53).
I'd be pretty disappointed if a Jet wasn't shining the way in that regard and I see Seb Pandiais not far behind, nor is former Ipswich player Rod Griffin.
Let's not kid ourselves – Nat Neale is another bloke who should have played plenty more NRL. He's big aggressive, skilful and doesn't cut corners.
scott-drinkwater.png

I'd have him neck-and-neck with another statistical leader – Scott Drinkwater – as my favourites for the Petero Civoniceva Medal as best player in the comp.
Drinkwater leads the tackle breaks category by a country mile. He has 138 so far to 109 by George Fai of the Souths Logan Magpies.
He has the X factor and I think we can all look forward to seeing his all-round skills for years to come, now that Billy Slater is pulling the pin at the Melbourne Storm.
Coach Bellamy won't give Drinkwater a saloon passage to the NRL, but his strength, balance, speed and awareness are rarely seen together in such combination.
If you're looking for a guy who has shone in two completely different statistical areas, go no further than Pat Politoni.
With a game to play against Easts this weekend, he is both the league leader for try assists (18) and tackles made (802). His average tackles per game is just under 40.
I'd go as far as saying that if he didn't play, Burleigh wouldn't have won half the games they did this year.
He's got some good players ahead of him in the hooking role at the Gold Coast Titans, but he is an outstanding game manager and has the judgment to still be an asset at the top level.
Look around this competition and there are plenty of guys ready to step up or deserving of a second chance.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/08/25/freaks-stats-leaders--award-winners-walker/

Staggs has 4 tries for Reddy against an absolutely God awful Sunshine Coast side. Don't think the Dolphins have even got out of third gear let alone second. Really unlike the coast.

Falcons were the typical side who had nothing to play for and it showed. They were awful. Cullen was really good for Redcliffe, he constantly targeted the Falcons left side and Reddy had a field day there. Tbh, Redcliffe didn't really even have to get out of third gear. They weren't as good as the scoreline suggested imo. Not saying they were poor, they just didn't have to really push themselves.

Watching Carrgian v Townsville.

He's just killing it and really should be in the team of the year. Might be too hard to overcome Neale though.

In a side playing for nothing- 36 tackles and 179m playing 80 minutes at prop. One run he breaks three tackles with no right to do that after all that work.

Last edited:
Awards night tonight.

Petero Medal- I picked Clifford at the start of the year but will change to Neale.
Rookie- Clifford. Staqggs will get an honourable mention.

Great that Pride are getting Clifford back this week; I love Green's attitude of it will be important for him to guide a team through the finals.

Team of the year I think Grant v Polonti will be interesting. Carrigan v Neale.

Purcell v Drinkwater.

Drinkwater should get rep player of the year and I'd say fullback of the year.

• Struddys Leading Try Scorer: Daniel Ogden (Wynnum Manly Seagulls) & Michael Purcell (Ipswich Jets)
• QRL Volunteer of the Year: Barry Beswick
• QRL Women in League Achievement Award: Mei-Lin Dean
• QRL Grassroots Club of the Year: Blackall RLFC
• Pedro Gallagher Award for Rookie of the Year, presented by the Carbine Club: Jake Clifford (Northern Pride)
• Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year: David Fifita (Souths Logan Magpies)
• Team of the Year, presented by Stage and Screen Travel Services:
Fullback: Scott Drinkwater (Easts Tigers)
Winger: Kalifa Faifai-Loa (Townsville Blackhawks)
Centre: Kotoni Staggs (Redcliffe Dolphins)
Five-Eighth: Billy Walters (Easts Tigers)
Halfback: Jake Clifford (Northern Pride)
Prop: Nathaniel Neale (Ipswich Jets)
Hooker: Pat Politoni (Burleigh Bears)
Second Row: Patrick Kaufusi (Easts Tigers)
Lock: Jamil Hopoate (Redcliffe Dolphins)
Coach: Ty Williams (Northern Pride)
• Hastings Deering Colts Player of the Year: Shannon Gardiner (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
• Petero Civoniceva Medal: Nathaniel Neale (Ipswich Jets)

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • thenry
  • Xzei
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • lynx000
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • RolledOates
  • theshed
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wild Horse
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.