Is the Bronco DNA now choking?

Different eras, but our teams that won everything had tough, mentally strong footballers who could handle setbacks. If you were in the trenches, give me the likes of Webcke, Tallis, Thorn, Petero, Lockyer etc ( the list can go on and on ) over Carrigan, Haas, Reynolds, Staggs, Walsh every day of the week. These blokes as it stands have to get over the line. We failed to do this in 2015 and 2023. Hopefully they can do it so they can all be elevated to the same bracket as some of our other greats.
Broncos desperately need a premiership just to create a separation from the previous era of dominance and remove the pressure.

We're basically still regarded as being strong in the 90's and there's barely any mention of Lockyer along with the 98, 00 and 06 premierships.

All our premierships were under Wayne and all had those superstar broncos involved in some respect.

Each Era of The Broncos is different. And on the eve of Round one.

2022 positions 4-9 were so close and as good as we were for a chunk of that year I don't think we were ready for the finals just yet it made us into the 2023 team we were.
23 grand final the game should of been over by half time Penriths way, it took a pretty much Perfect Penrith and Nathan Cleary to have the 15-20mins of his life to beat us at the end. No other team in the comp could of got that close to winning that game.
2015 the script was written for that to happen.

I mean this is just an unfortunate fact, that needs to be accepted as part of our trophyless 15 years.

It changes...now.

Theres no doubt we are now the best run sporting club in the nation . To go from spooners to the dawn of a dynasty is no small feat.

Broncos desperately need a premiership just to create a separation from the previous era of dominance and remove the pressure.

We're basically still regarded as being strong in the 90's and there's barely any mention of Lockyer along with the 98, 00 and 06 premierships.

All our premierships were under Wayne and all had those superstar broncos involved in some respect.

We have the superstars now really. As you say, we need that win to create the separation.

We have the superstars now really. As you say, we need that win to create the separation.
By superstars it was more a reference to Lockyer, Walters, Alfie, Renouf, Webke, Gordie, etc. the guys that have 3-4 premierships each and are all defined as broncos through and through.

There's not many broncos players since that group that are regarded to anywhere near the same level.

Even guys that might've been, like Tate, have basically sided themselves elsewhere... Parker hates on the broncos to try and friendly up with the Sydney centric everything that is league.

It would seem like no one since that group of players is definitively a bronco whilst also regarded as a superstar of the game... yet we used to have a team full of them.

It's another hump that the team needs to get over... we're basically defined as a club by a golden era in the 90's

By superstars it was more a reference to Lockyer, Walters, Alfie, Renouf, Webke, Gordie, etc. the guys that have 3-4 premierships each and are all defined as broncos through and through.

There's not many broncos players since that group that are regarded to anywhere near the same level.

Even guys that might've been, like Tate, have basically sided themselves elsewhere... Parker hates on the broncos to try and friendly up with the Sydney centric everything that is league.

It would seem like no one since that group of players is definitively a bronco whilst also regarded as a superstar of the game... yet we used to have a team full of them.

It's another hump that the team needs to get over... we're basically defined as a club by a golden era in the 90's
I think the group we have now is the closest thing we have to the golden era through and through broncos and if they stick together we'll see success.
Walsh, Arthars, Cobbo, Staggs, Mam, Haas, Carrigan, Riki, Piakura, Kobe all around the same age ( young anyway) and not leaving anytime soon, then you throw in Mozer, Mariner, Willison and Te Kura that's a solid group to build the DNA back to what it was.
Kevvie seems to be doing a great job at that so far.

For those bummed out about this thread and sort of dark realization of our past 15 years, I direct you to our future and where we're at now.

I think the group we have now is the closest thing we have to the golden era through and through broncos and if they stick together we'll see success.
Walsh, Arthars, Cobbo, Staggs, Mam, Haas, Carrigan, Riki, Piakura, Kobe all around the same age ( young anyway) and not leaving anytime soon, then you throw in Mozer, Mariner, Willison and Te Kura that's a solid group to build the DNA back to what it was.
Kevvie seems to be doing a great job at that so far.
They're promising, but 2016 was thought to be similar... this group has to win something or have a sustained period of success to start putting themselves up with the guys from the 90's. Even now there's talk about our window closing after Reynolds retires.

Haas has already proven himself as an out and out superstar, but he's quoted as wanting to deal in premierships... we need to win and be successful otherwise he might move on.

If we get top 4 this year and can then carry that through after Reynolds retires at the end of 2025 then they will start putting their names up there.

Most frustrating thing about last year is that we shit the comp in IF Penrith didn't exist... we were an absolutely dominant team by the end of the year and just trouncing team after team... unfortunately another juggernaut team exists in the NRL.

They're promising, but 2016 was thought to be similar... this group has to win something or have a sustained period of success to start putting themselves up with the guys from the 90's. Even now there's talk about our window closing after Reynolds retires.

Haas has already proven himself as an out and out superstar, but he's quoted as wanting to deal in premierships... we need to win and be successful otherwise he might move on.

If we get top 4 this year and can then carry that through after Reynolds retires at the end of 2025 then they will start putting their names up there.

Most frustrating thing about last year is that we shit the comp in IF Penrith didn't exist... we were an absolutely dominant team by the end of the year and just trouncing team after team... unfortunately another juggernaut team exists in the NRL.
The positive that comes from the GF is the Panthers had to be pretty much Perfect with a Cleary masterclass to only just beat us.

Attacking wise I think we're a more dangerous side then last year with Piakura on the edge, Cobbo adding something different to that centre spot and Mariners speed on the wing.
Our spines 2nd full season of playing with each other.
We can be more dominant then last year

The positive that comes from the GF is the Panthers had to be pretty much Perfect with a Cleary masterclass to only just beat us.

Attacking wise I think we're a more dangerous side then last year with Piakura on the edge, Cobbo adding something different to that centre spot and Mariners speed on the wing.
Our spines 2nd full season of playing with each other.
We can be more dominant then last year
Was it a Cleary masterclass though? We handed the win to him on a platter with our mistakes.

You'd have to say so, outside of the women, the Broncos haven't won the big one since 2006 at any level. That includes the 2008 and 2014 NYC GF as well as the 2014 9s Final and they haven't produced that many QCup winners either - Piakura and Staggs are the only two that come to mind.

For a club that prides itself on development I find this unacceptable. They allowed complacency to creep in, they didn't support their affiliates enough and it eventually took its toll. I'm hopeful that with the Magpies on the rise, the affiliation with the Bears and the Seagulls strong trial form, it's a step in the right direction. Otherwise, the Dolphins will happily make more strides and become the recognised brand of excellence in the South East.

I think the Broncos have responded well, and if they keep at it, this could become a case of iron sharpening iron and help bridge the gap between the Queensland based clubs and the New South Wales based clubs.

You'd have to say so, outside of the women, the Broncos haven't won the big one since 2006 at any level. That includes the 2008 and 2014 NYC GF as well as the 2014 9s Final and they haven't produced that many QCup winners either - Piakura and Staggs are the only two that come to mind.

For a club that prides itself on development I find this unacceptable. They allowed complacency to creep in, they didn't support their affiliates enough and it eventually took its toll. I'm hopeful that with the Magpies on the rise, the affiliation with the Bears and the Seagulls strong trial form, it's a step in the right direction. Otherwise, the Dolphins will happily make more strides and become the recognised brand of excellence in the South East.

I think the Broncos have responded well, and if they keep at it, this could become a case of iron sharpening iron and help bridge the gap between the Queensland based clubs and the New South Wales based clubs.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Skathen
  • NSW stables
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.