It’s not Seibold’s fault

I note a player agent had his registration with the NRL cancelled recently, pending appeal. As the Broncos suffer from lopsided deals on contracts this might be interesting news.

In a salary cap system if you pay $2 in salary cap for $1.50 in talent then you are going to have predictable results, not sure why the contract system is so player biased due to options but I think this is an area to start looking for better solutions.

Last edited:
Honestly we have a serious crossroad end of this season RE Deardon V Milf. I have faith in our hooker stocks, so for me this is sorted and can be worked on and improved. Paix has showed enough so far for me to be comfortable with him as a backup or future. Turps has the ability of what we need, hes learning and improving IMO and can be something solid reliable and get the job done. The rest will come down to coaching.

Milf probably realistically has about 4-5 rounds left to show what he needs to - to actually retain his spot in the future. From there its like an old girlfriend, need to rip the bandaid off and make a clear cut call. He will get a released early easily if they pick Deardon. Milfs value has also taken a serious hit, hes unfortunately proven he cant get himself into a game as a half, and as a fullback is not good enough unless for a lower tier team struggling. Hes in some future trouble.

This of course all depends on head office politics. The focus at HQ needs to shift from big names, back to reliable and "in the trenches" style. I do worry we have banked on stacking a superstar squad vs a real world squad. Often the get down and dirty gritty players are what turns a game. Haas and lodge have done an exceptional job so far considering the team morale on field. Boyd will also be flushed end of year, so this will be a positive - but for me Milf and Boyd gone.

I think the problem is milf will still be on big money next year (he has already taken up his option so is not going anywhere) so that potentially leaves dearden hanging as Croft will still be there.
It’s the old 3 into 2 won’t go scenario if everybody stays healthy.

Sorry, but unless you have an elite dummy Half, you better have absolutely elite players in every other position like the Roosters, because other than that you're basically an also ran in the modern NRL.

I agree to a point, but if in the current game 2 smart players out of the 3 (#9, #6 & #7) you can lay a good platform. If the hooker isnt a superstar, they can still do whats required to give the forwards and halves some room.
[automerge]1592350297[/automerge]
I think the problem is milf will still be on big money next year (he has already taken up his option so is not going anywhere) so that potentially leaves dearden hanging as Croft will still be there.
It’s the old 3 into 2 won’t go scenario if everybody stays healthy.

I think that one would be solved quickly by "we arent resigning you, Deardon is now playing in your spot"...He would find another club very quickly before his market value takes a bigger hit.

Last edited:
I think that one would be solved quickly by "we arent resigning you, Deardon is now playing in your spot"...He would find another club very quickly before his market value takes a bigger hit.

That could work but given how players on huge money in the past have been a protected species and don’t get dropped regardless of form ( aka Boyd) I don’t know that it will play out that way.

That could work but given how players on huge money in the past have been a protected species and don’t get dropped regardless of form ( aka Boyd) I don’t know that it will play out that way.

I think it would be the only viable options to get Deardon up to speed. If he is decided to be the future of that position, he needs time on field. Waiting until Milf leaves end of contract is suicidal for future years.

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • pennywisealfie
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.