NEWS It's happening: Oates to pack down

If this was the case surely the coach makes the call that Coates covers for Oates until the swelling goes down and he's properly fit. Having him play injured is doing no one other than the opposition a favour. Coates, or anyone form Herbie, Niu, Arthurs, Isaako would have to be the better option while he is given time to heal. At present on the wing Oatsey is as much use as ashtray on a motorbike.
I think it's more of a enduring disability than an acute injury, so he's not 100%, but he's good enough to play. Trialling him in the pack seems a good move to me, if he's cut out for it.

At least these changes keep the fans interested. Last week, when Corey made a half break near the try line, he got absolutely smashed into touch by Morris. Hope his body will hold up against the bigger forwards.

It's a start, but either way it's clear that Oates days as a big winger are all but over.

Yet the changes that need to be made, Boyd and Milford are no where to be seen.

Arthurs hasn't been great post return, but he has been no worse than Boyd/Milford.

Last edited:
If I was Seibold I'd be telling these rookies just go out and have fun.

These newbies seems too uptight and don't want to do anything wrong during the game,
reality is things do go wrong no ones perfect.

Their mind set should be playing footy based on why they were signed up on, not tippy toeing on field resulting in mistakes or awkward moments, or heads down when the other teams scores..

Its only a game, and as much as we get full on rage when crap like last week happens, these kids are just kids, and IMO their mind sets arent where they should be.

As for Oates, if he can pick the right lines and be setup properly he'll go pretty good, his D though against forwards all night should be interesting.

I get that people are criticising the oates to second row decision but what's the solution? It is shuffling the deck chairs on a sinking ship but there's no lifeboats available at the moment.
Staggs to second row may have been an option too but that is again shuffling the deck chairs.
My feeling is that oates to second row will be a 30 minute job with hopoate coming on for him. Hopoate isn't a starting first grader but he did well off the bench for us in round 1 and 2, he just c ant handle the pace at the start of the game.
It's unbelievable to think the depth we will have in the 2nd row if oates makes a good go of this though and with everyone back plus teo. It'll be the complete opposite of the current situation.

Coates may just have a shocker i think though everyone. Reason being is something I haven't seen mentioned on here or in the media about teams at the moment, which I have found amazing. RESERVE GRADE. Experienced players can come in after weeks or months without footy and do their job,but young players cant. it's something I think seibold has underestimated, but in saying that, we don't have any other options in our current squad. That's his fault yes, but I'm guessing his 2020 squad management wasn't based around pandemic-proofing the squad because they couldn't play reserve grade.....

Confirmation of the Oates shift here, and Lodge showing some leadership. Recommended reading:

Lodge called put tallis for his bullshit too. Absolutely outsmarted him (not hard) by saying along the lines of "tallis hasn't stepped foot in The Broncos building to offer us guidance or help when EVERY other legend has. He's entitled to criticise and we respect that but why doesn't he come and help us if he loves the club this much?"

Captain Lodge!

Lodge called put tallis for his bullshit too. Absolutely outsmarted him (not hard) by saying along the lines of "tallis hasn't stepped foot in The Broncos building to offer us guidance or help when EVERY other legend has. He's entitled to criticise and we respect that but why doesn't he come and help us if he loves the club this much?"

Captain Lodge!

Man Lodge becomes more and more my favourite player each day.

Did Lodge say that? Is there a link cause that is something I’d love to see!

something else Lodge said was that the players weren't hiding from the media, they were never asked to do interviews

Happy to keep Lodge around at the club for as long as he wants to be here. That he of all people seems to be some of the very slim leadership and accountability at the joint is pretty telling.
Surely he does! His career was toast until we picked him up off the floor, credit to him though in sorting his shit out.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.