It's not 6-Nil

What a coach says to the public = /= what they're really thinking.

Yes and if it's in a book, it's gotta be true...........

Why would he go to any pressers before or after and say we had to win tonight? It'd just take away from Queensland.

6 years on, with nothing to gain or lose and it sounds about right.

Lockyer might back it up in his book which I'm really looking forward to.

Regardless of all this, has there ever been a more dramatic game than Origin 3 2002?

Wayne Bennett, Meninga's mentor from the days when he played for Brisbane Souths and then Canberra, has also been fingered as someone who incited Mal's fury.

Bennett, now coaching the Dragons and who is suspect in the north for questionable loyalties, spoke to Meninga in the lead-up to the final Origin match.

Sensitive to the impact a NSW win in the series would have in his adopted state, Bennett told Meninga rugby league would benefit more by the Blues winning.

It wasn't a death wish, or a piece of ''witchdoctory'' by the code's most celebrated coach. It was merely an observation. Yet it has been interpreted as a Queensland win being ''detrimental to the health of the game''.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...as-stunning-20110711-1hau4.html#ixzz1RtB8c98I

Bennett should be stoned to death. :haha:

Definitely Coxy.

I forgot how dramatic 2002 was. Of course a lot of debate surrounded the no-try call and the introduction of golden point but also the sign about Gorden's mum which was huge news at the time.

Wayne Bennett, Meninga's mentor from the days when he played for Brisbane Souths and then Canberra, has also been fingered as someone who incited Mal's fury.

Bennett, now coaching the Dragons and who is suspect in the north for questionable loyalties, spoke to Meninga in the lead-up to the final Origin match.

Sensitive to the impact a NSW win in the series would have in his adopted state, Bennett told Meninga rugby league would benefit more by the Blues winning.

It wasn't a death wish, or a piece of ''witchdoctory'' by the code's most celebrated coach. It was merely an observation. Yet it has been interpreted as a Queensland win being ''detrimental to the health of the game''.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...as-stunning-20110711-1hau4.html#ixzz1RtB8c98I

Bennett should be stoned to death. :haha:

I find it really hard to believe that WB would actually think it better that NSW won a series .... no matter how many we'd won in a row already :grr:

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was just saying NSW league would get a bigger boost out of winning the series than QLD would from winning their 6th series in a row. I have no doubt in my mind Bennett still wanted QLD to win! This is just another attempt by the media to smear Bennett.

I still get violently angry at Darren Lockyer's no-try. Actually I think now that he's retiring it makes me even angrier. That would be his greatest try of all time.

I still get violently angry at Darren Lockyer's no-try. Actually I think now that he's retiring it makes me even angrier. That would be his greatest try of all time.

Stupid thing is that under current rules it wouldn't even be benefit of the doubt. It'd be a flat out try. No separation, downward pressure, no loss of control.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was just saying NSW league would get a bigger boost out of winning the series than QLD would from winning their 6th series in a row. I have no doubt in my mind Bennett still wanted QLD to win! This is just another attempt by the media to smear Bennett.

Hardly seems like they're trying to smear Bennett, since they make the point that it was merely an observation that was misinterpreted by Mal. More a smear on Meninga than anything.

Hardly seems like they're trying to smear Bennett, since they make the point that it was merely an observation that was misinterpreted by Mal. More a smear on Meninga than anything.

Bennett, now coaching the Dragons and who is suspect in the north for questionable loyalties

Suspect in the north by who?

Questionable loyalties? That's not a smear?

Sorry, I was only referring to the bit about him saying that a NSW win would be good for the game. The quote you've given isn't really all that offensive IMO, and the target (if any) doesn't seem to be Wayne at all. If Mal really did take offence at the alleged observation by Bennett, that quote may refer to Meninga's feelings about him. All seems a little tenuous however.

he does have questionable loyalties, always throwing his dragons players names up in the air to NSW selectors saying theyd be the best at shutting down inglis etc.

i dont even think its questionable - hes just for sale to the highest bidder, no loyalties whatsoever.

he does have questionable loyalties, always throwing his dragons players names up in the air to NSW selectors saying theyd be the best at shutting down inglis etc.

i dont even think its questionable - hes just for sale to the highest bidder, no loyalties whatsoever.

Agenda alert! Agenda alert!!!!!!

Over to you, Jeb.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Socnorb
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • The True King
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Matheos
  • Waynesaurus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.