Jack Bird Discussion

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Could you imagine if it was the other way around and the broncos were being the ***** because one of our stars left. Imagine the media tearing shreds out of the broncos. NSW never seems to dissapoint.
Look at how the club has handled Hunts departure and now Blair. All class. When Hunt was dropped Bennett was the biggest **** on earth, it wasn't that Hunt was playing like a busted arse and needed a wake up... Even Thaidays situation has been handled well, he now has plenty of time to way up his options. **** I hope we smash these drugo fucktards tonight.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Look at how the club has handled Hunts departure and now Blair. All class. When Hunt was dropped Bennett was the biggest **** on earth, it wasn't that Hunt was playing like a busted arse and needed a wake up... Even Thaidays situation has been handled well, he now has plenty of time to way up his options. **** I hope we smash these drugo fucktards tonight.
Cannot wait, I wanna see Gallen cop one on the chin from McGuire

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I have started going to the Sydney Morning Herald... I don't think they have premium articles and Webster seems alright whenever he's on 360.

A newspaper that has Slothfield as chief editor is surely taking the piss. How's he even got a job.
Yeah, I read the corresponding Brisbane Times mostly, although Fairfax has the 2nd biggest idiot RL journo in... Danny Weidler.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
The way my mate describes it tells a slightly different story. This is via his mate in the shire. He tells me that behind the scenes Bird has caused the Sharks a heap of trouble and they've done a lot for Bird who was apparently a real problem earlier for St George as well. The nature of the trouble is unclear but the Sharks feel he owes the club, rightly or wrongly I add. It might be that Birds medical history and ongoing problems may have been supported by the club as well.

My view is he has paid back any debt with a contribution to the gf win so **** em I say.
Everyone knows my feels about the drug cheats, and I'd rather do anything else than taking their side, but this is also what I've heard.
Bird's behaviour (not so much in the usual RL dickhead at the pub mould, but more in his overall attitude) has been a source of concern for a while at the Sharks (well before his move to the Broncos).

As usual, the truth will be somewhere in the middle, and this is the type of stuff Bennett usually excels at fixing, so I'm not too concerned.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
True there has been a lot of talk about Bird's attitude, but how much does he actually owe the sharks.

He was a merge junior that they stole and was only debuted because the CEO (I believe) at the time was sick of Flannigan trotting out Barba at 5/8 and losing convincingly when they had this young buck they just spent a fortune on stealing.

They talk it up like they developed him into a star just by giving him a debut. Flannigan is a garbage coach for mine and has no foresight or succession plan for that team other than stringing along forwards who are closer to 40 than 30

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
True there has been a lot of talk about Bird's attitude, but how much does he actually owe the sharks.

He was a merge junior that they stole and was only debuted because the CEO (I believe) at the time was sick of Flannigan trotting out Barba at 5/8 and losing convincingly when they had this young buck they just spent a fortune on stealing.

They talk it up like they developed him into a star just by giving him a debut. Flannigan is a garbage coach for mine and has no foresight or succession plan for that team other than stringing along forwards who are closer to 40 than 30
Well, it's hard to argue Flanagan is a dud coach seeing as he coached a team to a gf win. Sure, he'd be a dud if he had a team chock full of superstars but he didn't did he. A couple of big names for sure but every team has them. No, you cannot take away from him the credit. I understand the lingering anger about peptides from 6, yes 6 years ago but that team had no advantage over anyone else and beat Melbourne, a team with several incredible players.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Everyone knows my feels about the drug cheats, and I'd rather do anything else than taking their side, but this is also what I've heard.
Bird's behaviour (not so much in the usual RL dickhead at the pub mould, but more in his overall attitude) has been a source of concern for a while at the Sharks (well before his move to the Broncos).

As usual, the truth will be somewhere in the middle, and this is the type of stuff Bennett usually excels at fixing, so I'm not too concerned.

They sure are Burt hurt over losing someone that is apparently causing them so many issues and concerns.

But I don't have any sauces so what would I know.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
My last comment on this because it appears to have been sorted publicly, is that it is quite ironic that all these issues about Bird's attitude and wanting to backflip and how much he 'owes' the Shire etc didn't seem to exist when he was set to sign with the Knights...

They became big issues when he signed with Brisbane however...

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Wayne Bennett considers recruit Jack Bird at lock in Brisbane forward pack shake-up
8c7d9ed683dc1c0ec0f5555e112b47f1

BRISBANE’S forward pack is facing a shake-up, with $3.5 million recruit Jack Bird firming for a future at lock as coach Wayne Bennett prepares for life without chief enforcer Adam Blair.
It is believed Bennett is considering handing Bird the No. 13 jumper next season and returning Maroons lock Josh McGuire to the front row to cover for the potential loss of Blair.
NSW State of Origin utility Bird has been frustrated with his lack of opportunities at centre for Cronulla and was tipped to be moved into the halves at Brisbane to get him closer to the action.
However, the growing uncertainty over Blair’s future at the Broncos has prompted Bennett to explore a contingency plan that involves Bird launching his career at Brisbane in the forwards.
Blair is at the centre of a bidding war between the Knights and the Warriors, who have tabled a $2.4 million deal that involves a job at the club in retirement.
8ea2d222e75942c24f6646e0c9ccb7b4

Premiership-winning utility Jack Bird. Picture: Getty Images
The Kiwi Test star will decide his future this week but is leaning toward the Knights, mindful of the upheaval of moving his wife and two children to New Zealand.
Bird has limited experience at lock but Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, a member of Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee, said he could prove one of the club’s greatest imports locking the scrum.
“Jack’s exact position for the Broncos is yet to be determined, but lock is a great position for him,” Lockyer said.
“He could be one of the best recruits we’ve seen at the Broncos.
“If Adam Blair isn’t there, you could always push Josh McGuire back into the front row and bring Jack into lock.
4bfde1a9010d110340fa8d8106c9ddf7

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer says lock would be a “great position” for Jack Bird. Picture: Mark Evans
“Jack does a good job in the centres but sometimes he doesn’t get enough football out there. I like the idea of playing him at lock because it will get him more involved.’’
Blair believes Bird will bring an extra dimension to Brisbane’s offence with his speed, strength, skill and dynamic straight-line running.
McGuire has had a fine season at lock, including a superb Origin campaign for Queensland, but is the logical Plan B replacement if Blair quits Brisbane at season’s end.
“Moose (McGuire) won’t like that (losing the lock position to Bird),” Blair said with a grin.
“Josh will have to step up if I move on and hopefully Sammy Thaiday hangs around to help out the younger forwards.
“I have never met Jack Bird but watching him he seems like a handy player.
‘‘He will be a great acquisition for the Broncos.
“We play a really good brand of football and I am sure it will really suit his game.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/7fd7fcfbe74a0a47ab4a320e7a3e2885

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
We currently have the deadliest centre pairing in the comp. it's a shame we can't keep moga but I think bird should take a centre spot to maintain that potency we have in those positions

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I've been saying it since it was announced, he isnt coming here to play center.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Well, it's hard to argue Flanagan is a dud coach seeing as he coached a team to a gf win.

Doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a dud coach. Tim Sheens coached the Tigers in 2005.

We'll see how he goes keeping the Sharks a genuine premiership threat.. At the moment, it's not looking good.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
He also has 3 other premierships.

Mickey Mouse could coach that Canberra side and still win a premiership.

They were all Meninga.

The guy is the luckiest coach of all time.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Mickey Mouse could coach that Canberra side and still win a premiership.

They were all Meninga.
That's true. I lived in Canberra in the early 90s and I've got a footy signed by the whole team (the old man worked with Brad Clyde's wife). Only the '98 Broncos can match the calibre of players in that squad.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
IF there was any truth to the rumour about Sharks sensation Jack Bird getting cold feet about his Broncos deal, they have been firmly put to bed.

The NSW Origin star has begun looking at property in Brisbane, an emphatic sign Bird is looking forward and planning a long-term future in Queensland with his partner.

Sharks insiders claimed Bird was a little nervous about the prospect of a big move to a state in which he has never lived, but Bird is now at ease with the decision.

He has been in contact with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett and talks regularly with Brisbane recruitment chief Peter Nolan.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/f175a5f6a9a7a3af1e5a871ba23d313e

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I really hope next year Bird plays a lot of Fullback even be full time Fullback.

Active Now

• Seibs
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • KickHaas
  • Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Cavalo
  • Shane Tronc
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Dexter
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.