Jack Bird Discussion

NRL.com article saying Jet has been training on the left and Bird on the right, where he played for Cronulla so should be more comfortable.

Milf n Jet together.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/09/broncos-consider-switching-centres-roberts-and-bird/

One thing I noticed last week against the dogs was how Oates and Opacic seemed to just automatically swap positions when Oates went in for hit ups, they obviously know what each other are going to do and adjusted accordingly, same with how he swapped with Milf. It's something Robert's will have to learn to adjust to but he is good enough to do it. It's probably going to be a bigger workload for him though, might blunt his attack a little if we aren't on top.

Not really, we just dont know yet. Worrying thing for me is he is struggling with this sternum injury and didn't have a pre season. Its hindered him and while I think at times he doesn't help himself, we aren't doing him any favors either not letting him get fully fit. We need to let him get his issues sorted out or he will end up missing next pre season as well.

The thing that worries me is that we have some good kids coming through and he is taking a good chunk of cap. I can't see carrigan hanging around and tpj is providing us with a ball playing lock option aswell as muscle. I really think its turning into a bad decision.

The thing that worries me is that we have some good kids coming through and he is taking a good chunk of cap. I can't see carrigan hanging around and tpj is providing us with a ball playing lock option aswell as muscle. I really think its turning into a bad decision.

We do have some good kids, but I'm still going to hold fire to see what happens once he is up to speed. Still think there are plenty of opportunities for the younger guys to get a chance. We cant just discard proven forwards like Glenn and Gillett for example on the hope every young kid we have will make it. I actually think Boyd's contract is more of an issue than Birds

Not really, we just dont know yet. Worrying thing for me is he is struggling with this sternum injury and didn't have a pre season. Its hindered him and while I think at times he doesn't help himself, we aren't doing him any favors either not letting him get fully fit. We need to let him get his issues sorted out or he will end up missing next pre season as well.

I agree with this to a point. We have Opacic who is more than capable of holding down the left centre spot for as long as he's required. We have the luxury of being able to rest Bird and let him overcome any niggles and build up his fitness.

On the other side, if his recovery isn't going to be hampered by playing, and as long as he's not a complete liability, might as well play him. Nothing builds fitness like actual game time, and gives him more experience with the team in the game situation.

I agree with this to a point. We have Opacic who is more than capable of holding down the left centre spot for as long as he's required. We have the luxury of being able to rest Bird and let him overcome any niggles and build up his fitness.

On the other side, if his recovery isn't going to be hampered by playing, and as long as he's not a complete liability, might as well play him. Nothing builds fitness like actual game time, and gives him more experience with the team in the game situation.

Big bonus as well is Tommy has played the majority of his football on the right and it's his more natural side to play on so If we decide we prefer Robert's on the left it's not going to throw us out to much same as with Bird

Why not, he's had a go at nearly everything else. I'm now wondering why we bought him as it is plainly obvious that WB did not have a certain starting position in mind. I know he's thought highly of by WB but surely big buys like this need to be thought through. I hold WB in the highest regard, but this latest switch confirms he had no idea what he was doing at the time.

That's why we signed him...for his versatility.

I like the team WB named. I think we're a better side with Nikorima in the halves.

NRL.com article saying Jet has been training on the left and Bird on the right, where he played for Cronulla so should be more comfortable.

Milf n Jet together.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/09/broncos-consider-switching-centres-roberts-and-bird/

I can't believe that Bird has been positioned everywhere except where his strengths and best skills lie, as we tear strips off him, and finally, he is to play in a position and (we hope) in a structure which maximizes his strengths.

But yet again, it seems our halves will be stuck on opposite sides of the ruck. Where is the enterprise, the creativity, trying something different. Conservatism will be this sides downfall

Bird has been terribly out of form and low on confidence yet he has still been the first person there chasing when there's a line break or a kick chase and his defence is great still.
People saying he doesn't fit in anywhere is true. He doesn't and I don't think he was meant to tbh. Him being able to play multiple positions puts pressure on 4-5 people to keep form. It creates a pseudo-depth in a way. Think Berrigan or Plath but more starting games...

Could be nursing him through til the bye round we have in two games time where he will have two weeks off and a chance to recover a bit?

Why not, he's had a go at nearly everything else. I'm now wondering why we bought him as it is plainly obvious that WB did not have a certain starting position in mind. I know he's thought highly of by WB but surely big buys like this need to be thought through. I hold WB in the highest regard, but this latest switch confirms he had no idea what he was doing at the time.
Seems like he was an impulse buy. In hindsight the dollars should have been spent on an organising halfback. Ouch..

I'm more in the 'give it time' camp. I agree at the moment Bird isn't a good return on investment but I still think it's way too early to be makinga final judgement. I watched Bird's first game in first grade and lot's more after that and he is a total package with a strong desire to win. I really think everyone should show a little more patience before definitively putting a red line through his name.

Seems like he was an impulse buy. In hindsight the dollars should have been spent on an organising halfback. Ouch..

we went after the only quality halfback on the market last year ... he turned us down for the massive overs the Titans offered him

I'm more in the 'give it time' camp. I agree at the moment Bird isn't a good return on investment but I still think it's way too early to be makinga final judgement. I watched Bird's first game in first grade and lot's more after that and he is a total package with a strong desire to win. I really think everyone should show a little more patience before definitively putting a red line through his name.

Well, some of us were finding it really hard not to put a line through him when he was signed. REALLY want to be proven wrong, would be so extremely happy were this to be the case.

See, the problem isn't with Bird's quality, he is a good player, no doubt at all BUT the problem is that he isn't the kind of player the Broncs needed and especially not for the price tag he came on.

Well, some of us were finding it really hard not to put a line through him when he was signed. REALLY want to be proven wrong, would be so extremely happy were this to be the case.

See, the problem isn't with Bird's quality, he is a good player, no doubt at all BUT the problem is that he isn't the kind of player the Broncs needed and especially not for the price tag he came on.

With the game plan we had in mind, he probably was what we were looking for. His sternum injury is a bigger issue than people think, and his shoulder stuffed up his pre season. Our biggest mistake now is not getting him right and trying to get him in the side in any position. I'm a little more concerned with the issues it may or may not be causing off the field.

With the game plan we had in mind, he probably was what we were looking for. His sternum injury is a bigger issue than people think, and his shoulder stuffed up his pre season. Our biggest mistake now is not getting him right and trying to get him in the side in any position. I'm a little more concerned with the issues it may or may not be causing off the field.
What is the sternum issue, how was it injured and what is it's history ? All good questions and I'd appreciate a rundown if anyone knows.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • MrRobot
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.