Jack Bird Discussion

Yeah, I know. But personally in hindsight I wish we had of saved the Bird dollars to ensure that we defiantly got Ash Taylor. I know it's pretty pointless to be talking about such things but I can't help but wonder how we'd be going right now if we had Ash in the team instead of Bird. Sure would have been nice to have Milf and Ash to build a team/dynasty around - (even if they costed 1m each per year.) We'd have probably had the best future halves pairing in game.

We still wouldn't have got Taylor, because Bennett wouldn't have increased the offer to him, just to match the Titans overs offer

Lot of people like Tallis have been saying this guy should play lock. I was skeptical because he isn't that big. He will get smashed. But then if you look at the best locks now like De Bellin, Gallen, Trorbojvic (however you spell this Serbs name), they have some pretty decent ball skills. McGuire is a fine #13 but he plays like a prop. Maybe it would be an idea to move Bird to lock but then I'm wondering what would happen to McGuire. He is on the small side even for a lock. Could he play prop and would Bird be a better lock?

If our forwards aren't all over the opposition in terms of winning field position, we seem to fall apart. Bird would actually make it more difficult to win this battle if he's in the forwards. TPJ has plenty of skill too, he has probably shown more of it than Bird right now.

not even close to being accurate...

very talented player

the knights offer was ridiculous ... our offer was ball park what he should get, maybe a touch too high, but an acceptable figure

Interested if you have changed your view from last night as I’m in the give it time camp but am losing faith in him. He must be Bennett’s pet project now but am concerned we are shifting our better players to accomodate our worst.

Interested if you have changed your view from last night as I’m in the give it time camp but am losing faith in him. He must be Bennett’s pet project now but am concerned we are shifting our better players to accomodate our worst.

nope ... he is a very talented player ... down on form, fitness and confidence.

moving him all over the park isn't helping him

We still wouldn't have got Taylor, because Bennett wouldn't have increased the offer to him, just to match the Titans overs offer

And I'm not convinced Ash is the answer to our problems anyway

I admit of course he would be an improvement, but for the money he wanted, would he have been the right choice?

I have serious doubts

Not saying Bird was the right choice either, clearly he wasn't (at least so far)

Alex McKinnon raised a good points on Fox a couple of nights ago, he said that Jack Bird was a luxury buy. I'd never really thought of it like that, but it's spot on, we were naive & greedy in the presumption that Milford & Nikorima would combine perfectly and be our halves for the future after watching their win streak together in 2017. So we bought another elite outside back, because why not? We've already got our spine set for the next 3-4 years. Nope. We shouldn't have signed Jack Bird until we knew for absolute certain we'd found a half to compliment Milford and help steer the team around the park. Now we're paying for our greediness, and probably will be for the next couple of years.

clearly Bennett didn't believe that ... which is why he chased Taylor

Yep, I reckon Wayne was wanting both, Bird was a luxury spend and Taylor was just not coming until 2019 and we would make do this year.

It also does make me think that since we let Hunt walk and then missed out on Taylor we do still have that cap space set aside to spend on a half.

It could very well be the case where we also have unused cap space from this year saved and used in next years cap.

Maybe Wayne just gambled, we take the pain if Milford/Nikorima/Bird doesn't work this year, save the cash and then go big for somebody like Cleary next year.

Jack Bird is damn lucky it's a $20 Maccas card instead of Hungry Jack's. The memes would be even more relentless.

Hungry Jack's Grilled Chicken burger. Except it's not grilled, it's dripping with fat and they just used the branding iron to make it look grilled.

I'm just wondering at what point the club loses patience with him. If he comes back next week and stinks it up again, would it be too soon to talk of shopping him around?

I actually think Boyd's contract is more of an issue than Birds

Couldn’t agree more. Love Darius and what he’s done in a broncos jersey but I’m absolutely gobsmacked that we have just signed him on a four year deal.

He’s struggling in year one of this deal so how the hell is he gonna deliver for three more years while he is keeping someone else out of one of the most important positions in the team...

Couldn’t agree more. Love Darius and what he’s done in a broncos jersey but I’m absolutely gobsmacked that we have just signed him on a four year deal.

He’s struggling in year one of this deal so how the hell is he gonna deliver for three more years while he is keeping someone else out of one of the most important positions in the team...

Isn't there some sort of insurance now that if you retire through injury, you get a certain amount of your contract paid. Maybe that was in the thought process, seen as his hammys are buggered.

Isn't there some sort of insurance now that if you retire through injury, you get a certain amount of your contract paid. Maybe that was in the thought process, seen as his hammys are buggered.
My understanding is that it can't be an existing injury. As he's had ongoing issues with hamstrings I don't think that warrants his contract being covered.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.