OFFICIAL Jack Bird goes down

From what Im hearing from through the grapevine, Jack Bird wont take up his player option here at the Bronx. I know these aren't state secrets, but what do we do with the money for 2021.

giphy.gif

Where is this grapevine?
From what Im hearing from through the grapevine, Jack Bird wont take up his player option here at the Bronx. I know these aren't state secrets, but what do we do with the money for 2021.

I think the grapevine is wilting.

Last edited:
The grapevine is people close to Bird in Brisbane.

Edit: Inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I guess the good news out of that is we'll be able to absorb Maccas contract if he comes back from the Knights and gets paid as a starting hooker instead of a fringe first grader.

Funny, i thought people close to Bird in Brisbane said he was keen to stay ?
I'm not sure why Bird would stay, apart from the money. He's got a long way to go in is career if he can stay injury free. Ever since arriving he's had problems 24/7. I can see him going to the Dragons of Dogs. Either club are dumb enough to pay him a decent amount. Not to say he isn't worth a decent amount but when marquee players are getting injured as much as he has its a high risk recruit.

I'm not sure why Bird would stay, apart from the money. He's got a long way to go in is career if he can stay injury free. Ever since arriving he's had problems 24/7. I can see him going to the Dragons of Dogs. Either club are dumb enough to pay him a decent amount. Not to say he isn't worth a decent amount but when marquee players are getting injured as much as he has its a high risk recruit.
To be part of a good team? When he's back Boyd will be gone, so Bird could slot in at centre or at fullback depending on how other players go. Staying here would probably be more enjoyable than going to a 10-16th type team, give him the chance to really push for his origin spot back, showcase his abilities to earn more on later contracts, win games, maybe win a premiership, and live in the best bit of the country. Plenty of reasons other than money.

To be part of a good team? When he's back Boyd will be gone, so Bird could slot in at centre or at fullback depending on how other players go. Staying here would probably be more enjoyable than going to a 10-16th type team, give him the chance to really push for his origin spot back, showcase his abilities to earn more on later contracts, win games, maybe win a premiership, and live in the best bit of the country. Plenty of reasons other than money.
I think I'm just hopeful that we are able to offload him :')

One reason why Bird may look at moving could be that he may not be a shoe in for that center spot when Boyd's gone.

There was an article a few days ago which I believe was along the lines of a spot being opened up in the backline for Nui, Herbie, Coates, etc. when Boyd retires.

Seibs seems a pretty big fan of those guys and also promoting the youth, so if they are considered the long term option compared to Bird he may look at them for starting left center, which then leaves Bird probably as the utility on the bench... which to be honest is potentially his best position given he can cover anywhere from 1-13... however playing utility for a year doesn't bode well for his next contract.

He may well accept his option next year (and why wouldnt you with the cash he's set to make), but as of November 1 this year he's a free agent again and the Broncos may be willing to let him go in 2021 for a longer contract whilst also paying some freight... and using the remainder of that cash for Fifi, Herbie, etc.

I still think the push for Bird at 1 was a) an opportunity to see if he could fulfill his worth, given Milf, Brodie and Dearden look set to form the long term halves combination, and b) to put Bird in the shop window for Sydney clubs (if Bird played well Sydney clubs could've come knocking with a 3-4 yr deal to take him off our books)

Seibold has already shown examples of putting players in the shop window by loaning out Kahu and now Macca... it gives them every chance to secure a contract elsewhere whilst also getting them off our books to secure the junior talent coming through.

Appears the mail was wrong. Birds taking up his option.

Appears the mail was wrong. Birds taking up his option.
I can only see him at left centre (or bench utility) when he returns to the field now. I dont think we will offer another contract beyond this current one and having him move into the spine (full back) for only one year would only impede the development of combinations.

Last edited:
I can only see him at left centre (or bench utility) when he returns to the field now. I dont think we will offer another contract beyond this current one and having him move into the spine (full back) for only one year would only impede the development of combinations.

Its a tough one for him. I reckon if he can stay fit he would offer more than any of our other fullback options, and again, if he is fully fit and firing, he is a terrific player in the centers. Its up to the coach now really. If he gives him another chance at fullback, he has to be prepared to offer him a new deal if he does the job. If as a club we dont want to do that, then we probably need to use him sparingly if he can get fit.

He’s a great right Centre and utility. He’s a decent fullback, hasn’t impressed at left centre and would be a good lock or five-eighth. Several of those positions are unproven and the Broncs currently have arguably the most promising young right centre in the game. If Bird was on John Plath money (adjusted for inflation) he’s a great signing. On marquee money, don’t even think twice. No new contract should be the decision after however long it takes to note it in meetings minutes, should be 10 seconds or less. Get rid of him earlier if possible.

I feel sorry for Bird. Undoubtedly talented but has been crippled by injuries since joining us. With the limited opportunities in the game so far, I can see Arthurs developing into a strike centre and would like to see him partner Staggs in the centres next year. I'd be happy for Bird to be given the utility role next year and then letting him go back to Sydney.

Active Now

• Santa
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Pablo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.