NEWS Jack Bird requests release - free to negotiate elsewhere

49838236 B671 4C61 BE84 BC311627D991

Update on this story: note the clarification on Boyd and Macca (in red). Boyd is still theoretically in the team, but not captain. So is Macca, but not starting hooker. So a possible scenario is Boyd still at 6, Macca at 14.

Anthony Seibold to start Broncos
rebuild by releasing Jack Bird

Phil Rothfield,
sports editor-at-large
The Daily Telegraph
September 19, 2019 5:33pm

The Brisbane Broncos have granted permission to $800,000 centre Jack Bird to look for a new club and hope to use his money to sign an established playmaker. After two injury plagued seasons in which he has played only 17 games, Bird and his agent Chris Orr requested the opportunity to negotiate with Sydney-based clubs. “It was Jack and his manager who approached us,” revealed coach Anthony Seibold. “It’s a shame injuries have held him back.”

Jack Bird will be glad to see the back of Brisbane. Photo: AAP Image/Darren England

Jack Bird will be glad to see the back of Brisbane. Photo: AAP Image/Darren England
The likes of Canterbury, Penrith and the Wests Tigers would have room in their salary caps but the Sharks are already over the cap for next year, ruling out a return to the Shire.

Bird has often complained of being homesick since quitting Cronulla in 2017. In 17 games for the Broncos, the 2016 grand final hero scored just two tries and had only two try assists. If he finds a new club, Seibold will go straight into the market for a new halfback. The Broncos are desperate to find the right playmaker and will go up to $1 million for a big name. The likes of Melbourne Storm’s Brodie Croft and Canberra’s Aidan Sezer have been mentioned as possible targets.

Darius Boyd left the Broncos’ crisis meeting demoted. Photo: Annette Dew

Darius Boyd left the Broncos’ crisis meeting demoted. Photo: Annette Dew

After the 58-0 embarrassment against Parramatta last weekend, Seibold has spoken individually to every player.

The Daily Telegraph understands:
■ Hooker
Andrew McCullough has been told he will start next year behind Jake Turpin;
■ Five-eighth
Darius Boyd has been told there will be changes to the leadership group and that he will not be the captain; and
Anthony Milford has been warned he must lift his game or play QLD Cup.

“Everyone knows where they stand going forward,” Seibold said. “They’ve all had feedback.
“There’s no game this weekend so we’ve got to live with that performance for five months.”

Seibold refuses to reveal the player who will take over the captaincy from Boyd. Surprisingly it is unlikely to be Matt Gillett. “I’ve got some ideas but it’s something I will have to discuss with the board,” he said. Meanwhile, Boyd’s old coach Wayne Bennett spoke in support of the 32-year-old star. “Darius has taken a lot of the blame, he’s had a lot of criticism,” Bennett said. “He’s probably taken too much of the criticism, but that’s the way it goes.” “I know this much, there’d be no harder trainer at the Broncos than Darius Boyd. No one prepares better than he would, that’s through 14 seasons with him.”

Last edited:
If thats a genuine instagram post from Bird, then somebody is telling porkies.

If thats a genuine instagram post from Bird, then somebody is telling porkies.
Maybe Bird's been advised he stands to lose money if leaving is his idea.

What's Joel Gould's track record? If those quotes aren't real or taken out of context, he needs to be fired.

How? There's direct quotes from Seibold saying he and his agent came to them

What’s the point of him posting something like that if he is leaving. It’d only make the fans turn on him.

could also be that seibold is telling porkies and birds management didnt come to them and in fact broncos instigated it.

hence bird saying what a load of shit he never said which part was bullshit

I’ve admired the games where he put in and tried to get us going, but I just never rated the guy. I’m sure he’s talented at footy, but he’s just that player for me.

I never liked his signing in general. It was clear way back then that we needed something to improve our spine and we signed a centre on huge money. The fact he could play spine positions helped, but at the time, it was obvious that the spine wasn’t going to be changed under Wayne.

Couple that now with his injury issues, while unfortunate, makes him easily the worst signing imo, including Barba, Kennedy or Clinton.

Last edited:
Yeah I also saw the jack bird post. Still on his story. Maybe he's not leaving.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Tmac
  • Brocko
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Stix
  • FACTHUNT
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.