Jack Reed

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Watching Milford in the World Cup games he was the guy who sparked everything for Samoa - as a 19 year old he is sensational - reminds me of another bloke at 19 who didn't go too badly at fullback and then 5/8th.
We need him to be at the Broncos next year and whatever needs to be done - swap players - send Hoffman to wherever - pay a premium price to Canberra - JUST DO IT - cause with Barba and the line up shown above it isn't half bad - not its bloody fantastic.

If Hoffman has spat the dummy it shows he does not want to be a team man - mind you I think he is a sensational winger - so punt him - save the money and go chase DCE and Cameron Smith

Having said that I cannot for the life of me understand why hook likes Reed so much - he struggles to tackle most blokes by flinging arms at them then bashes the ground when he misses - is pretty slow compared to 90% of other centres in the NRL - HAS NO SIDE STEP AT ALL - JUST BASHES AND BARGES - YES not bad under the chase up and unders but is he really worth $1.2 million over 3 years from memory - anyway another topic for another day maybe

Re: [RUMOUR] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Watching Milford in the World Cup games he was the guy who sparked everything for Samoa - as a 19 year old he is sensational - reminds me of another bloke at 19 who didn't go too badly at fullback and then 5/8th.
We need him to be at the Broncos next year and whatever needs to be done - swap players - send Hoffman to wherever - pay a premium price to Canberra - JUST DO IT - cause with Barba and the line up shown above it isn't half bad - not its bloody fantastic.

If Hoffman has spat the dummy it shows he does not want to be a team man - mind you I think he is a sensational winger - so punt him - save the money and go chase DCE and Cameron Smith

Having said that I cannot for the life of me understand why hook likes Reed so much - he struggles to tackle most blokes by flinging arms at them then bashes the ground when he misses - is pretty slow compared to 90% of other centres in the NRL - HAS NO SIDE STEP AT ALL - JUST BASHES AND BARGES - YES not bad under the chase up and unders but is he really worth $1.2 million over 3 years from memory - anyway another topic for another day maybe

Have to disagree here, on everything except his inability to step. His defence is by far his strongest asset. The only times he's been caught out is when there's been a massive overlap. While he's quite slow, he has a huge reach and always puts his body on the line to get his man. And they certainly don't go through him. In his rookie year, week after week he was being tested by the biggest and most skillful centres, and every week he was a rock. As for his attack, yes, agreed that he can't step. Or use speed, but he is extremely effective at holding up his opposite centre (either by running a good line or simply barging through with a half break), drawing in their winger, and putting our winger away. His kick-chase and contesting of high balls shows that his attitude is fantastic. I'd concede that he'd be lucky to even be in the top 20 centres in the NRL. But when he's injury-free he's extremely consistent, and you'd rather have him on an off-day than a more skilful, yet stupid brain-farting Inu, Leilua, or even Jennings at their worst.

Agree very much with the first part of your post but can't agree at all about reed. We get more than our value for money out of him and the side is considerably worse when he is out. You don't become an England international by being rubbish. Unfortunately for reed because he isn't lightning fast or real 'flashy' people think he is average. There is a lot more to being a footballer than speed and flash

As for his tackling, he is one of the best defensive centres in the game and that is well recognized. Always I fail to see why thumping the ground because you are angry at yourself for the rare missed tackle is a bad thing...

Last edited:

Are you serious? Reed is probably the best defender in the Broncos team.
He is great one on one close to the line.

Well this is not the forum to discuss Jack Reed as I said above but I will find the stats on him later and post them on here which will back up my point - just for what it is worth 70% of all tries against the Broncos which have been scored out wide have come through or via Jack Reeds side over the last 2 years - but I will gather the stats and let you know the rest

but I will gather the stats and let you know the rest

Unless those stats also show whether or not Reed was also having to cover an inside or outside man due to being outnumbered or whether you are including try's scored out wide after the defensive error in the middle of the field and also whether the try was scored from a kick etc I wouldn't bother sharing them.

im sure for every negative stat about reed there is a positive one.

Reed needs to watch tape of Jamie Lyon. A lot of similarities in their games. Not super quick, but both have good vision and are defensively solid.

Reed is a good, solid, consistent player. Yes he has had a quiet couple of seasons, but so have all the backs bar Hoffman.

The truth is the halves and fullback haven't been able to create enough chances for him.
We saw when Norman was at fullback how important having a fullback that can ball play and winger that can finish.

But Norman was lazy and bad positionally.

Milford is going to be an amazing player.

& I feel if we don't get him now, he will be lost to us forever.

We want the best Brisbane players playing for the Broncos.

Reed lacks speed and footwork, which is why I'm hoping for another centre in the near future. He can be a ball hog too, but unlike Hodges his running is pretty much a waste of a tackle.

And if there is a grabber going long he's the man you'd want chasing it. Jennings did it once, reed will chase the ball and not give up every time. Defensively he carried the team this year and that could have led to him being tired. He's a completely different player to hodges but he's definitely valuable.

I quite like Reed, his ability to offload to his winger is pretty special when he actually does it. He is good in the air, works hard in defence and is clearly one of the more enthusiastic team men. A few more like him and a few less like Norman and Hoffman and we'll be going a lot better.

Given the holes in our team, I'd much rather spend money on halves, a quality prop, maybe Smith and a long term replacement for Hodgo in the next year or two rather than worrying about Reed.

Well this is not the forum to discuss Jack Reed as I said above but I will find the stats on him later and post them on here which will back up my point - just for what it is worth 70% of all tries against the Broncos which have been scored out wide have come through or via Jack Reeds side over the last 2 years - but I will gather the stats and let you know the rest

That can't be true, 70% of all tries sounds silly.

I thought the stats i had seen said that in 2013 our left and middle defence conceded about the same amount of tries. And our right side conceded 50% of all the points against us, which definitely makes sense when you think about how many tackles Gillett and Prince missed through the year.

as for other stats, a cool one is that Jack Reed was one of the top one on one tacklers among centres.

I quite like Reed, his ability to offload to his winger is pretty special when he actually does it. He is good in the air, works hard in defence and is clearly one of the more enthusiastic team men. A few more like him and a few less like Norman and Hoffman and we'll be going a lot better.

Given the holes in our team, I'd much rather spend money on halves, a quality prop, maybe Smith and a long term replacement for Hodgo in the next year or two rather than worrying about Reed.
That's not very fair on Hoffman. As much as I believe he's a deluded fool with his pretensions to be a top fullback (and I don't believe even Hasler will make him one), he's a courageous player who is never afraid to put his body on the line and has always left 100% on the paddock, except for that end of 2012, where he was pretty banged up from all those head clashes and Inglis bear hugs...

Agree with the rest of your post though! :takdir:

Last edited:
Now I said earlier that I would give you some stats on Jack Reed to back up what I was saying - in that he is a terrible defender and really is very over-rated when it comes to performing against other centres in the comp - these stats are for 2013 season and for those who thinks stats do not matter - have a REED - HEHEHE!!!

He was attributed to being involved in a grand total of 207 effective tackles during the whole season - yes he missed a few games with injury - he made 45 one on one tackles included in the 207 tackles BUT MISSED A TOTAL OF 77 TACKLES BEING CLASSIFIED AS TOTAL MISSES OR INEFFECTIVE TACKLES WHERE HE DID NOT STOP HIS OPPONENT so out of 284 attempted tackles he missed 77 tackles = 27% of his tackles he missed totally or ineffective

SO KNOW LETS COMPARE HIS STATS TO JAMIE LYON
441 EFFECTIVE TACKLES - 35 ONE ON ONE TACKLES INC IN THE 406 - MISSED TOTAL OF 78 = 17.7%

MICHAEL JENNINGS - 388 - 41 - 51 = 10.5%
WILL CHAMBERS - 378 - 38 - 120 = 31.7%
KANE LINNETT - 343 - 33 - 89 = 18.6%
JARROD CROKER - 345 - 36 - 76 = 22%
JOSH MORRIS - 214 - 10 - 36 = 16.8%
and on and on we can go - out of all the centres that played 18 rounds or more in 2013 season Reed was ranked the 4th worst defender in the NRL - STATS TAKEN FROM THE NRL OFFICIAL SITE

I have no idea why everybody thinks Reed is a great defender - yes he has guts and tries his hardest - yes he is great at running through and following the up and unders - yes he can find the try line when given a sniff and yes he can give a quick pass but this is more than offset by his defensive record

His problem is that he backs away from the oncoming traffic and then is left in no mans land - he then flays his arms to tackle and mostly misses - when he moves up and in he can nail a bloke but this is rare

His big defensive lapses ALWAYS HAPPEN 10 TO 15 METRES OUT FROM THE TRY LINE and that is why he lets in so many tries

We need speed to burn out there - we need a bloke who can smash an attacker - we need a bloke who can side step and unfortunately we still have Jack Reed

As someone said before last year Jack Reed was one of the majors reasons we even did as well as we did. He was solid in defence and a key link in defence, even with a serious injury near the end of the season.

I wish he could replicate his form from 2011. He displayed a bit of footwork that year and was a damaging runner. Injuries and lack of depth in the backline have really hampered his development. Hopefully the best is yet to come with Jack Reed.

Now I said earlier that I would give you some stats on Jack Reed to back up what I was saying - in that he is a terrible defender and really is very over-rated when it comes to performing against other centres in the comp - these stats are for 2013 season and for those who thinks stats do not matter - have a REED - HEHEHE!!!

He was attributed to being involved in a grand total of 207 effective tackles during the whole season - yes he missed a few games with injury - he made 45 one on one tackles included in the 207 tackles BUT MISSED A TOTAL OF 77 TACKLES BEING CLASSIFIED AS TOTAL MISSES OR INEFFECTIVE TACKLES WHERE HE DID NOT STOP HIS OPPONENT so out of 284 attempted tackles he missed 77 tackles = 27% of his tackles he missed totally or ineffective

SO KNOW LETS COMPARE HIS STATS TO JAMIE LYON
441 EFFECTIVE TACKLES - 35 ONE ON ONE TACKLES INC IN THE 406 - MISSED TOTAL OF 78 = 17.7%

MICHAEL JENNINGS - 388 - 41 - 51 = 10.5%
WILL CHAMBERS - 378 - 38 - 120 = 31.7%
KANE LINNETT - 343 - 33 - 89 = 18.6%
JARROD CROKER - 345 - 36 - 76 = 22%
JOSH MORRIS - 214 - 10 - 36 = 16.8%
and on and on we can go - out of all the centres that played 18 rounds or more in 2013 season Reed was ranked the 4th worst defender in the NRL - STATS TAKEN FROM THE NRL OFFICIAL SITE

I have no idea why everybody thinks Reed is a great defender - yes he has guts and tries his hardest - yes he is great at running through and following the up and unders - yes he can find the try line when given a sniff and yes he can give a quick pass but this is more than offset by his defensive record

His problem is that he backs away from the oncoming traffic and then is left in no mans land - he then flays his arms to tackle and mostly misses - when he moves up and in he can nail a bloke but this is rare

His big defensive lapses ALWAYS HAPPEN 10 TO 15 METRES OUT FROM THE TRY LINE and that is why he lets in so many tries

We need speed to burn out there - we need a bloke who can smash an attacker - we need a bloke who can side step and unfortunately we still have Jack Reed

That is a load of rot and the fact that you can't provide stats for your outrageous claims sums it up. You've made up your mind so there is no discussion here.

Holden NRL Dream Team 2013 - NRL.com
MMMM Maybe you cannot read too well - I thought I worked out the stats taken from the NRL stats centre - now I am sure I said that at the bottom of my figures but why dont you go and pull them out and work them out from the site yourself

I am not against Jack Reed as a player - I am simply telling you and others in my opinion he cannot tackle and lets in a lot of tries - and for what we are paying him I reckon we do find a better player

Funny I thought a forum is where you discuss things like this yet you say "there is no discussion here"

SO WHY ARE YOU ON HERE

"As for his tackling, he is one of the best defensive centres in the game and that is well recognized. Always I fail to see why thumping the ground because you are angry at yourself for the rare missed tackle is a bad thing.."

Now BRONCOS FOR LIFE - WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM THAT TELLS ME AND OTHERS THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS CORRECT - SO WHERE AND BY WHOM IS IT WELL RECOGNIZED SEEING WE ARE ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Hurrijo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Stix
  • Alec
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncos Maestro
  • bb_gun
  • NSW stables
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.