Jack Reed

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Holden NRL Dream Team 2013 - NRL.com
MMMM Maybe you cannot read too well - I thought I worked out the stats taken from the NRL stats centre - now I am sure I said that at the bottom of my figures but why dont you go and pull them out and work them out from the site yourself

I am not against Jack Reed as a player - I am simply telling you and others in my opinion he cannot tackle and lets in a lot of tries - and for what we are paying him I reckon we do find a better player

Funny I thought a forum is where you discuss things like this yet you say "there is no discussion here"

SO WHY ARE YOU ON HERE

That's not what I meant, I meant you have an agenda and aren't taking in anything others are saying.

Fine you have stats that somehow prove he is a poor defender, I guess I was watching a different jack reed when I saw him constantly save tries, I guess reed is a pretty common surname so I probably got it wrong

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
That's not very fair on Hoffman. As much as I believe he's a deluded fool with his pretensions to be a top fullback (and I don't believe even Hasler will make him one), he's a courageous player who is never afraid to put his body on the line and has always left 100% on the paddock, except for that end of 2012, where he was pretty banged up from all those head clashes and Inglis bear hugs...

Agree with the rest of your post though! :takdir:

Beat me too it.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Holden NRL Dream Team 2013 - NRL.com
MMMM Maybe you cannot read too well - I thought I worked out the stats taken from the NRL stats centre - now I am sure I said that at the bottom of my figures but why dont you go and pull them out and work them out from the site yourself

I am not against Jack Reed as a player - I am simply telling you and others in my opinion he cannot tackle and lets in a lot of tries - and for what we are paying him I reckon we do find a better player

Funny I thought a forum is where you discuss things like this yet you say "there is no discussion here"

SO WHY ARE YOU ON HERE
Mate I love your avatar and have an ancient affiliation with the brethren myself . But you 're dead wrong about Reed. Put him on the market and see how long he lasts.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
You see thats the beauty of a forum - we all have different views and everybody is able to express them

I guess most of us on here are members and we go to all the games and watch the others on TV - So during next season I will put up his weekly stats - i will count his tackles and missed tackles just to prove to everybody that he needs improving in his defense - now if he does improve and prove me wrong then I will be happy to admit it.
Can't do anymore than that

I have my doubts that the top clubs would be belting the door down to snap him up - Storm - no - Roosters - no - Manly - no - Rabbits - no - Bulldogs - no - Sharks - maybe - would Benny take him - no I doubt it - Cowboys - no - Titans - well they take everyone - Panthers - maybe

I doubt if the top 6 to 8 clubs - excluding the sharks - would entertain the idea of buying Reed as he does not fit a fast safe playing style

Do you get where I am coming from

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
You see thats the beauty of a forum - we all have different views and everybody is able to express them

I guess most of us on here are members and we go to all the games and watch the others on TV - So during next season I will put up his weekly stats - i will count his tackles and missed tackles just to prove to everybody that he needs improving in his defense - now if he does improve and prove me wrong then I will be happy to admit it.

I have my doubts that the top clubs would be belting the door down to snap him up - Storm - no - Roosters - no - Manly - no - Rabbits - no - Bulldogs - no - Sharks - maybe - would Benny take him - no I doubt it - Cowboys - no - Titans - well they take everyone - Panthers - maybe

I doubt if the top 6 to 8 clubs - excluding the sharks - would entertain the idea of buying Reed as he does not fit a fast safe playing style

No I don't get where your coming from at all. Most clubs would have reed if they could get him. Sure the roosters or manly wouldn't because there backlines are incredible. The rabbitohs by all accounts were trying to get him before he resigned. The storm would take him in a heartbeat, he is exactly the kind of player Bellamy likes. You seem to think that just because you have an opinion it makes it right, almost like you make your own facts. In your last post you listed all those clubs and basically said they wouldn't take him, so what, we are meant to just say "wow, reed is awful and no one but the broncos would want him because fighting Irish says so"

Agree to disagree I guess

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I rate Reed and he is one of my favourite players and a good bloke as well. He is a very strong defensive player and is a great competitor and has a good draw and pass ability. I thought he had struck some second year syndrome last year after a great debut year but he came back with some strong performances this year.

My favourite Jack Reed moment, shows what he is capable of off. Ranks as one of the best individual tries i've seen

Last edited by a moderator:
Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
No i am just expressing my opinion which is what a forum is for - I am putting up my argument as to why I don't think Reed is a top notch player who commands the money and contract he now has - that is what i said in my very first post on the subject
You and others have a right to express your opinions on here or anywhere else and if we disagree so be it - there will be many times on here that we shall agree as well so stop getting your knickers in a knot - if you wear any!!!!!!!! - and calm the farm
Never heard of the rabbits trying to sign him but if that is the case i accept what you are saying to be true unlike you not accepting my stats before - Next time i talk to Bellache or Benny I will ask them there opinion as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Good try by Reed BUT he was not trying to tackle anybody - he may be a bloody good bloke - he is obviously a talented rugby league player but he has defensive problems - funny that nobody is coming up with any stats to prove me wrong here - seems to be all talk but no proof

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013

Am loving your passion, Fighting Irish. Hope you stick around the boards long-term.

Back on Reed, we only need to look at that superb try Broncoman posted. Would love to see that on a more consistent basis. He has not played like that in a long time. If he can stay injury free and with the likes of Vidot, Mills, Maranta, Oates etc pressing for spots fingers crossed he can become a real match winner.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013

I believe souths showed interest in Reed recently. (Rumour only no stats available)

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks CaptainHook - I am passionate about my BRONCOS and want them to really do well next year - somehow someway someone has to help Reed become a better tackler - Fair dinkum i wish he was a good as GI but he is not and the only real flaw is his style of tackling and whilst it seems everybody on here cannot see it - when I sit up the top of the western stand surrounded by other members how come we can ALL see how he misses tackles and how often at usually crucial times of a match - but anyway what else can i say

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
No i am just expressing my opinion which is what a forum is for - I am putting up my argument as to why I don't think Reed is a top notch player who commands the money and contract he now has - that is what i said in my very first post on the subject
You and others have a right to express your opinions on here or anywhere else and if we disagree so be it - there will be many times on here that we shall agree as well so stop getting your knickers in a knot - if you wear any!!!!!!!! - and calm the farm
Never heard of the rabbits trying to sign him but if that is the case i accept what you are saying to be true unlike you not accepting my stats before - Next time i talk to Bellache or Benny I will ask them there opinion as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 1.2 million over 4 years, that's 300k a year. That's hardly overs for an international.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Defensively, the side struggled the whole year I think. It's a far cry from 2011 where a lot of our wins were built on tough, uncompromising defence. Reed may have been one of the main culprits but I can't remember any out and out shockers. You've done your research Fighting Irish, so am happy to accept your point.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Broncos for life - give it up - the only reason Reed played for England was that he was never a chance of playing for Australia and he new it - the poms would accept anybody that was half decent but really I doubt if he would make the current England side - he may be in the squad but not in the main team - so stop taking about Reed as an international - would he make the QLD team - no chance either.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
going to watch the poms and NZ - SHOULD BE A GOOD MATCH

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
"As for his tackling, he is one of the best defensive centres in the game and that is well recognized. Always I fail to see why thumping the ground because you are angry at yourself for the rare missed tackle is a bad thing.."

Now BRONCOS FOR LIFE - WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM THAT TELLS ME AND OTHERS THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS CORRECT - SO WHERE AND BY WHOM IS IT WELL RECOGNIZED SEEING WE ARE ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe a few of the tv commentators have mentioned his good defence. I really like Jack Reed as a player and on 250k he is fantastic value.

I know you're new here, but please ease up on the caps, it doesn't really help you get your point across.

Other than that, welcome to board. It's great to hear some alternate views put forward.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
"As for his tackling, he is one of the best defensive centres in the game and that is well recognized. Always I fail to see why thumping the ground because you are angry at yourself for the rare missed tackle is a bad thing.."

Now BRONCOS FOR LIFE - WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM THAT TELLS ME AND OTHERS THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS CORRECT - SO WHERE AND BY WHOM IS IT WELL RECOGNIZED SEEING WE ARE ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mate, please take it easy with the caps. It's viewed as yelling and just reflects badly on you.

As to Reed... if you know rugby league, stats only tell a part of the story.
How a team defends the ruck and shifts left or right is very important to how vulnerable the edges are. Reed may have many missed tackles, but that is because he still tries to make them from an already desperate position, due to the horrible defense of the team as a whole.
Other players, especially some from your list, would have already given up and won't get a missed tackle added to their stats.

I haven't checked the stats, but I'm pretty sure the Broncos are ranked close to the very bottom (or top) of the ladder for missed tackles, and Reed was much more a victim than a culprit of this. I'd like to see his stats from the 2 years before, especially 2011 to see how bad he defends in a better team!

Active Now

• The Don
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • Bish
  • LittleDavey
  • FACTHUNT
  • Skyblues87
  • Santa
  • Jedhead
  • Harry Sack
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • RolledOates
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.