Jack Reed

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Jack Reed is a really under rated player and on 250k he is awesome value. it was reported before he re-signed that he had several offers from other clubs (the main one mentioned was Souths).

I've noticed that some people seem to think if you don't do the flashy things, or score brilliant freaky tries, your a poor player and thats just not the case.

To me he reminds me a bit of Mick Devere (minus the goal kicking). Devere was never the flashy attacking center that fans love, but he was a hard worker and a solid defender, he would never single handedly win you a game, but he would never lose you one either. Jack Reed is very similar to that, but a bit slower and not a goal kicker

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Broncos for life - give it up - the only reason Reed played for England was that he was never a chance of playing for Australia and he new it - the poms would accept anybody that was half decent but really I doubt if he would make the current England side - he may be in the squad but not in the main team - so stop taking about Reed as an international - would he make the QLD team - no chance either.

Give it up? Excuse me? You keep telling everyone that this is a forum so why should I have to 'give it up'

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe you could do some research before making these big calls.

If you did you would know that reed isn't in the England squad for the RLWC because he had to withdraw to have off season surgery. If he was available I can see no reasonable argument as to why he wouldn't be in their team.

As someone has mentioned further down, Dane neilsen has played for qld and if you are going to tell me that they would have preferred him over reed if reed was eligible you are kidding yourself, sorry.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
I'd take Reedy in my team any day of the week because he's passionate about our club and always puts in 100 percent. Sure he's a bit awkward at times but he is consistently solid and more often than not shuts down his man. Top bloke too

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Broncos for life - give it up - the only reason Reed played for England was that he was never a chance of playing for Australia and he new it - the poms would accept anybody that was half decent but really I doubt if he would make the current England side - he may be in the squad but not in the main team - so stop taking about Reed as an international - would he make the QLD team - no chance either.

You're certainly up for a fight on this one, good to see. But you're up against a Quinn here so you'll have your work cut out for you. Interesting you say that he'd be no chance for Qld. When he chose England over Qld, most of us were questioning the decision, because with the injuries the Maroons had he would have been an extremely good chance to make the team. The fact that he did in fact choose England when he was in line for a Maroons jersey just showed again that he's willing to follow his heart over personal milestones or glory. And as has been said already, Reed missed the WC because of injury.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Out of interest fightingirish, who would you sign for reeds money that you think would be an improvement?

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
If he had been playing last night he would have been arguably third (whare) definitely fourth best centre... You know what if he was on a good day considering tate had a bad one he would have been ahead of him too.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
If he had been playing last night he would have been arguably third (whare) definitely fourth best centre... You know what if he was on a good day considering tate had a bad one he would have been ahead of him too.

I'm assuming you mean out of both games (8 centres)?

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Queensland played with Dane Nielson in the centres. I would take Reed over Nielson.

Reed is far better than Nielson. Nielson was a nuffy this year, it just goes to show how good someone can look with Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk directing you around.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Lets face it the Broncs attack has been boring and ineffective and boring for several years , even going back to Lockys last two seasons. Last year only Hodges and Hoffman looked like doing anything special. We are in desperate for some penetration both in the halves and out wide. Jack Reed just does not give us that much in attack. He may be OK defensively and he never gives up , but he will never ever be the potent attacking weapon we really need. I don't know about you guys but I have had just about enough of the Broncos fielding a team of "triers" who specialize in four or five hit ups and a bomb.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Lets face it the Broncs attack has been boring and ineffective and boring for several years , even going back to Lockys last two seasons. Last year only Hodges and Hoffman looked like doing anything special. We are in desperate for some penetration both in the halves and out wide. Jack Reed just does not give us that much in attack. He may be OK defensively and he never gives up , but he will never ever be the potent attacking weapon we really need. I don't know about you guys but I have had just about enough of the Broncos fielding a team of "triers" who specialize in four or five hit ups and a bomb.

Yeah, obviously our impotent attack and lack of structure is our centres fault. Definitely has nothing to do with basic game plans, below average halves pairing or a fullback that can not pass. Hopefully we can sign Milford and play him in the centres to solve all our attacking woes.

**** you jack reed... Thanks for ruining everything

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, obviously our impotent attack and lack of structure is our centres fault. Definitely has nothing to do with basic game plans, below average halves pairing or a fullback that can not pass. Hopefully we can sign Milford and play him in the centres to solve all our attacking woes.

**** you jack reed... Thanks for ruining everything

680952-jack-reed.jpg

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
I remember in Reed's debut year of 2011, he pulled off some brilliant tries and attacking play, such as stealing the ball out of the opposing player's hands mid-air when jumping for the ball. He did stagnate a bit in attack this year and bombed a few tries by not passing the ball to his unmarked winger (after indeed doing this earlier in the season). The fact that he had good attacking play in 2011 makes me think it is probably our poor and inexperienced halves play and poor structure that is the major reason for this (unsurprisingly). That being said, I'd definitely take Reed over many other centre options baring the few elite/rep players. I feel he is highly under-rated by both Broncos fans and the general league public. Can't believe he only re-signed for approx. $250,000, I reckon he is worth closer to $350k.

Last edited:
Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
ok so lets take the last few comments on here and reply to them one by one - Kingpest - he maybe a top bloke - he is probably as passionate as you and me but if he is not quiet up to the mark - in my humble opinion - then we should go seraching for someone that can help win us a premiership and GF

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Fighting Irish, I have already asked you a question which you won't answer, and now I have two (hopefully you will answer this time)

As I previously asked - for reeds money (approx. 250k -350k) what centre would you buy that you feel is better than him?

Secondly, why do you think that centre is all of a sudden our most pressing issue?

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Morkel - mate if I was a chance of playing for Qld as my home state or by birth or relative ties being able to play for the poms I would pick Qld anytime but if I didnt want to back myself that I was good enough for the Qld team then the old dart would be mt second chance card - and yes I know he is injured and would have made the squad but would he have got a starting spot - who knows and yes he is not the only problem we have in our team but we have to plug the gaps and holes at sometime - I am happy as I have said before that he scrubs up and cuts everyone in half next season and improves his stats in tackling then he is worth the $250,000 a season - maybe

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Broncos for life you are very impatient - I was getting to you - MMMM It is a problem as they have missed the boat a few times in the past 12 months is snapping up a couple of good young blokes but to answer your question if you are going to have a potent backline attack it starts at the half back and 5/8th but you need to have 2 dynamic attacking centres who can tackle - we have one in Hodgo and I would therefore take a punt on Ferguson - offer him 350,000 a year - we do have the money to spend - put very strict guidlines in place and if we were going to chase Duggen then why not

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Broncos for life you are very impatient - I was getting to you - MMMM It is a problem as they have missed the boat a few times in the past 12 months is snapping up a couple of good young blokes but to answer your question if you are going to have a potent backline attack it starts at the half back and 5/8th but you need to have 2 dynamic attacking centres who can tackle - we have one in Hodgo and I would therefore take a punt on Ferguson - offer him 350,000 a year - we do have the money to spend - put very strict guidlines in place and if we were going to chase Duggen then why not

Are you suggesting that hodgo is a better defender than reed? I love hodgo but that's a bit much

You could offer ferguson 350k and once he has picked himself up off the ground and stopped laughing at you he would leave and sign with one of the many other clubs that will pay him far more than that.

I think you don't realise what is 'good money' in this new salary cap environment

While I so not agree with your summation of reed, for the sake of the argument lets say we need a better centre. IMHO that should be the last thing we look at, what ever limited money we have left needs to go to a half and probably another good prop. Reed is so far down the list of priorities is crazy.

I just don't get it

Last edited:
Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Manifesto - to put things into perspective I play "supercoach" every year and Reed started the year at about the $250,000 mark and ended at $170,000 - supercoach is based on all aspects of the game - attack and how many meters gained with points awarded if they run for over 8 meters in atttack and points for tackles and minus points for missed tackles etc - if you play well each week your value goes up - if you under perform you value goes down - his value went down33% during the season - why - he underperformed and to win a premiership you have to have very good players across the team - they are slowly plugging the holes but the left centre - Reed is a problem and the stats dont lie

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fozz
  • Battler
  • broncs30
  • Lurker
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wendall Taylor
  • NSW stables
  • sooticus
  • TonyTheJugoslav
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.