Jack Reed

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
Manifesto - to put things into perspective I play "supercoach" every year and Reed started the year at about the $250,000 mark and ended at $170,000 - supercoach is based on all aspects of the game - attack and how many meters gained with points awarded if they run for over 8 meters in atttack and points for tackles and minus points for missed tackles etc - if you play well each week your value goes up - if you under perform you value goes down - his value went down33% during the season - why - he underperformed and to win a premiership you have to have very good players across the team - they are slowly plugging the holes but the left centre - Reed is a problem and the stats dont lie

I've played NRL Dream Team for the last 7 or so years, so I know the ins and outs of fantasy teams and stats breakdowns. I admit Reed isn't a great player from a fantasy team viewpoint, but nor was Locky. Locky was a very poor half in dream team, as was Foran. Even Slater and Bowan were poor fantasy players up until the last 2 years (coinciding with the DT points overhaul). Matai, a mainstay of the NZ side team, is a horrible fantasy centre, but that doesn't stop him being picked consistently for NZ. In fact, Matai started the year around $200,000 and dropped down to the minimum value of $101,000. Yet he still was regarded as one of the best centres in the game and was picked for NZ.

Personally I find fantasy leagues to be a poor indicator of overall worth as they often don't reward the 1%-ers or parameters that don't come up with pure statistics. I also think Reed's poor statistics may have been exacerbated by our poor attacking and defensive structures, particularly in the middle third of the field. I would hazard a guess and say a lot of his missed/ineffective tackles were due to errors in the middle of the field, not entirely Reed's fault (speculation though).

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think some people can't pick up on the subtle things Jack Reed does during games.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Others can't seem to stop living in 2011 and can't come up with any fresh material. :winky:

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
His defence is very underrated and so is his speed. Sure he blows the odd try but for the price we pay for him he is well worth it. The 4 year deal no doubt meant we paid less for him each year.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
. The 4 year deal no doubt meant we paid less for him each year.

Agree, when a 3 year contract is the norm it's mountains out of molehills to be banging on about a risk at the end of reeds contract. I think we got him cheap due to the 4 year deal. By 2017 the minimum wage will be around 100k. An extra 150k risk for a player in 2017 who will have 100+ games of first grade experience, is still only 29 yrs old and can cover backrow or centre is not even newsworthy as a risk. I trust our commercial team can juggle an extra 150k in the cap in 2017 without the team falling apart.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
He's been passing to Hoffman, but not in the same way Jamie Lyon sets up tries, just mostly quick hands. Hoffman's finishing is where most of the work came from. Good on him for passing though, but that can't be your whole attacking skillset. He's got no footwork, no pace and he doesn't seem to run into too many holes either. It's disappointing though, since he did show some of that in 2011, just not in the last 2 years.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
As I said earlier in this thread he is a more defensive tough centre than a classy score a try from nowhere centre like GI or Blake Ferguson. The strengths in Reed's game is his defensive ability and competitiveness. His attack hasn't been at the level of 2011 but that could be put down to the lack of quality ball from the halves.

I saw a comparison between him and Mick De'Vere. Personally I would take De'Vere as he was a better attacking player than Reed with the defense added on. Was a sharpshooter with the boot to from memory, 2nd highest points scorer in the club's history behind Lockyer.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
One of the biggest problems the Broncos faced early on was they had the two extreme's when it came to depth because they were building for the future, the real inexperienced young up and comers and then the players who were battle hardened experienced players who were heading towards the back end of their career, a few injuries, suspensions and the rep season duties to those battle hardened experienced players and suddenly your full of a squad of inexperienced players, that's where a player like Reed comes in, lets examine the backline, options available yes but there are factors to consider, Copley is injury prone and has yet to produce a season that ranks of the height Reed showed in 2011, Hodges ability to stay on the field is questionable, Yow Yeh just getting back onto the field would be an achievement in itself and evidence continues to mount more and more that Hoffman wants out. This is when you really need a player like Reed in the side, someone who's upto the task, has real experience in first grade and really isn't making a big impact on the salary cap either, because your always going to need a player like that to be in the side on a regular basis to get you through the tough periods and for salary cap balancing purposes.

Reed hasn't been able to replicate his form of 2011 that is true(not the only player guilty of that, some on much more money too), though there were at least some positive signs this season that he could be heading back in the right direction. The reality is it's not really a risk to sign Reed to a contract like that for the amount it is, I could think of several re-signings or signings on a 3+ year basis that I find more concerning since Bennett's departure. I certainly have more concerns for instance about possibly signing Smith to such a large contract at the back end of his career when really it's the longterm we need for our spine.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
One of the biggest problems the Broncos faced early on was they had the two extreme's when it came to depth because they were building for the future, the real inexperienced young up and comers and then the players who were battle hardened experienced players who were heading towards the back end of their career, a few injuries, suspensions and the rep season duties to those battle hardened experienced players and suddenly your full of a squad of inexperienced players, that's where a player like Reed comes in, lets examine the backline, options available yes but there are factors to consider, Copley is injury prone and has yet to produce a season that ranks of the height Reed showed in 2011, Hodges ability to stay on the field is questionable, Yow Yeh just getting back onto the field would be an achievement in itself and evidence continues to mount more and more that Hoffman wants out. This is when you really need a player like Reed in the side, someone who's upto the task, has real experience in first grade and really isn't making a big impact on the salary cap either, because your always going to need a player like that to be in the side on a regular basis to get you through the tough periods and for salary cap balancing purposes.

Reed hasn't been able to replicate his form of 2011 that is true(not the only player guilty of that, some on much more money too), though there were at least some positive signs this season that he could be heading back in the right direction. The reality is it's not really a risk to sign Reed to a contract like that for the amount it is, I could think of several re-signings or signings on a 3+ year basis that I find more concerning since Bennett's departure. I certainly have more concerns for instance about possibly signing Smith to such a large contract at the back end of his career when really it's the longterm we need for our spine.

Really well said and I agree with all your points. Wish I could put it that well lol

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
That adds to the discussion... What did I take the wrong way?

Pete's referencing a statement he made about Kieran Foran back in 2011, which a few BHQ'ers trundle out sarcastically on the odd occasion - as Beads did earlier.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Pete's referencing a statement he made about Kieran Foran back in 2011, which a few BHQ'ers trundle out sarcastically on the odd occasion - as Beads did earlier.

Thanks ningers. Yeah pete messaged me to let me know but I appreciate you clearing that up :)

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
I have read all the comments of this afternoon and this evening and thanks Pete for agreeing with me and a few others but let me ask you this question - out of the 32 normal club centres which went around in the NRL in 2013 season where would you rate Jack Reed - Top 10 - middle 10 or bottom 12 and remember I started this thread by questioning his ability to tackle effectively - some seem to think he is wonderful a few seem to wonder - I said ealier that I would keep his stats on every game and report on here to see how we go and if he can turn his game around and be worthy of a top 10 centre by the end of the season then I will apologise on here for bagging him - cant be any fairer than that can I

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
and all this talk about is he worth $250k and is he a good buy at that price - well if he performs like he did last year then we are wasting our money - if we spend $100k or 400K on a player who is not performing up what is expected of him - and yes there are others in the team in this boat as well - then we are wasting our money - we need a big centre who can run like the clappers - put the fear of god into the opposition and score trys on a consistent basis - not from just up and unders or the miracle try that was shown on here - he only has done that once remember - where do you find that kid - we need to seriously go searching - that is what Andrew GEE gets paid big bucks to do not me

Unread

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Emanon
  • BRC088
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • RolledOates
  • Astro
  • Ondi
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • davidp
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.