Jake Granville signs with North Queensland

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
You agree? So you think macca hasn't improved in years and is leagues behind the best? Wow.

I wouldn't say leagues behind. He is having a reasonably good year - mainly due to getting more game time and the fact that the club was looking at other dummy half options maybe spurring him on, imo. I agree with ap that he is nowhere near the quality of other dummy halves in the comp, though.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Bitches be trippin in this thread y'all....

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I wouldn't say leagues behind. He is having a reasonably good year - mainly due to getting more game time and the fact that the club was looking at other dummy half options maybe spurring him on, imo. I agree with ap that he is nowhere near the quality of other dummy halves in the comp, though.

Oh, come on. He's not in the top tier but the only 9's clearly a class above are Smith and Farah. Segeyaro, and Luke to a lesser extent. I'd say on current form he's about at the same level as Matt Ballin.

He's as good as or arguably better than the following: Peats, Friend, Friend, Rein, Buttris, Ennis, Clydesdale, Falloon, Lichaa, Kingston, Kostjasyn, Morris, De Gois. And Granville.

Can you honestly say he's nowhere near the quality of anyone in that list?

Perfect he is not, but he is reliable, tough and cool under pressure. Aside from lacking in speed of service comparative to the top dogs, he's a quality #9.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Lol at suggesting hes as good or better than Jake friend.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I honestly don't get the Jake Friend love. I think he's made to look good by a really good forward pack and consistent halves.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Friend had a fantastic 2013 which is yet to be surpassed but I don't think his form has been any better than McCullough's this season.

But hey, as good a player as these two are, isn't this about Jake Granville and his future?

What do you guys reckon will happen with Jake? Do you think he should remain apart of the 17 or should we consider bringing in another player?

Bonus question - will he get the starting position at the Cowboys next season? Or will Cameron King, Rory Kostjasyn, Ray Thompson, Anthony Mitchell & Josh Chudleigh have him beat?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think Cameron King will get first shot at Hooker, with Granville & Kostjasyn fighting for the interchange hooker role. Spine consisting of Coote, Morgan, Thurston, King.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Granville Wil get a lot more game time at the cowboys. There is plenty of competition though

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
What I like about Granville in the context of this side, particularly as shown in the game last night, was how he creates a different style of play to when Macca is on. For mine, we need them both which is why it's a bit sad he is leaving.

Dare I say it, but Granville is the only hooker I would agree justifies a bench hooker position, apart from the fact that I feel he also makes a decent utility back.

The good thing last night was the contrasting style of play to Macca's that Granville brought to the team, AND the team adapted to it yet when Macca returned, the side adapted equally well to Macca's style of play.

I thought both styles made it hard for the Warriors to read our game.

As for disparaging remarks about Macca in the pecking order of hookers, for mine Macca at his best gives our middle solidity and shape, both important factors when your pack needs to control the middle, and his defensive work for the most part is excellent.

For the rest of this season, I would keep Granville on the bench as our utility.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Friend had a fantastic 2013 which is yet to be surpassed but I don't think his form has been any better than McCullough's this season.

But hey, as good a player as these two are, isn't this about Jake Granville and his future?

What do you guys reckon will happen with Jake? Do you think he should remain apart of the 17 or should we consider bringing in another player?

Bonus question - will he get the starting position at the Cowboys next season? Or will Cameron King, Rory Kostjasyn, Ray Thompson, Anthony Mitchell & Josh Chudleigh have him beat?

Granville has the jump on all of them, King will take a while to get going again post serious injury.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Lol at suggesting hes as good or better than Jake friend.

What exactly do you think makes Jake so superior?

I'd argue they have a similar involvement and impact in attack, and are both busy/effective in defence. Jake might be a bit quicker but is more penalty/error prone. Macca has a superior kicking game too.

Horses for courses, but I fail to see why you're putting Jake on a pedestal.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Granville has the jump on all of them, King will take a while to get going again post serious injury.

I'd think so too.

Thompson is more likely to be in the halves with JT. The rest of their options aren't exactly top shelf. I know there were some wraps on King, but he will likely be their second choice unless he tears it up on his return.

Granville will hopefully slot in well there. For the last few years, the Cowboys have been lacking a quality 9. I think he and Thurston will complement each others games quite well.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
What exactly do you think makes Jake so superior?

I'd argue they have a similar involvement and impact in attack, and are both busy/effective in defence. Jake might be a bit quicker but is more penalty/error prone. Macca has a superior kicking game too.

Horses for courses, but I fail to see why you're putting Jake on a pedestal.

because he is not a Bronco

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013

Good question - I hope he sees the year out and stays in first grade...unless there is a serious drop in form like what happened to Norman last year.

I think he is ready for the starting position at the Cowboys. Kostjasyn and Thompson have both had a crack there with limited success. Granville could be equally as good playing for the Cowboys with a similar role he has for us now, just with more game time.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I don't think he is ready for a starting position and will probably create more questions than answers for the cowboys
IMO he should always be a reserve hooker for impact

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I don't think he is ready for a starting position and will probably create more questions than answers for the cowboys
Will make a good combo with Kostjasyn who is solid defensively and Jake can come on and run after 25 mins

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I doubt he would have signed unless he was promised starting hooker

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Does anyone get guaranteed a starting position?
Green is surely not that stupid

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Sproj
  • Behold
  • Fozz
  • mieko
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Manlyman
  • Big Del
  • Galah
  • Aldo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.