James Roberts - No Sanction for photo circulating on social media

• Thread starter the big farlowski
  • Start date

Oh FFS! Didn't somebody here say the photo was taken years ago? If true, what fit young man just 'passes out' at what appears to be a nightclub or some such place? Passes out from what? If James was up to any shenanigans, that is not how a professional player, recovering from an injury, should be conducting themselves a few games into the season!

Again, no real issue with a player going out to enjoy himself but there is a time and a place for it. Also, is this type of 'couldn't care less' way of thinking and behaviour just a reflection of the overall poor attitude within the team that was noted by Roger Wilco?

Last edited:
Bennett > seibold is a fact though

You are appropriately named if you think that is a valid point of comparison. Comparing a 43 year coaching veteran (32 years in the NSWRL/NRL) against a coach in his second year of coaching of the NRL.

In other breaking news Roger Federer is a better tennis player than John Millman.

Oh FFS! Didn't somebody here say the photo was taken years ago? If true, what fit young man just 'passes out' at what appears to be a nightclub or some such place? Passes out from what? If James was up to any shenanigans, that is not how a professional player, recovering from an injury, should be conducting themselves a few games into the season!

Again, no real issue with a player going out to enjoy himself but there is a time and a place for it. Also, is this type of behaviour just a reflection of the overall poor attitude within the team that was noted by Roger Wilco?

Another glimpse into the attitude problems.

I'm actually impressed. I've partied pretty hard, but passing out in a nightclub- never done that one.

I'm actually impressed. I've partied pretty hard, but passing out in a nightclub- never done that one.
I've passed out on the toilets before but didn't have to be carried out. Red cordial got too much you see.

Night club doesn’t even make the top 10 most embarrassing places I’ve passed out. I don’t see this as a big deal from a moral stand point but with James’ history I do worry for his mental health.

Night club doesn’t even make the top 10 most embarrassing places I’ve passed out. I don’t see this as a big deal from a moral stand point but with James’ history I do worry for his mental health.

Is not a big deal from a moral standpoint but it is from the perspective of a professional NRL player with Jimmy's history of substance abuse issues. We know Bennett always did his best to try and help these troubled players by giving them a second chance. I just wonder if this type of behaviour is indicative of other things going on within the team and their subsequent performances on the field. How is Seibold going to deal with this - with a gentle or heavy hand?

I wouldn’t normally care about a player going out but on this occasion I seriously do if it was taken after the dragons game. If I had of played like 99% of the broncos players did against the dragons I certainly wouldn’t be in any mode to go out and party.

To me it either says he doesn’t care about his performance or rather the teams performnce or he does care about his performance and he was out drinking his sorrows away (to me both are just as bad as the other given Roberts history)

Roberts was dropped after the Dragons game by Seibold saying he needs to get his fitness right.

With the timeline being after the Dragons game for that photo it seems pretty obvious now why he was actually dropped. In which case I 100% agree with Seibold, excellent decision. Players should not be going out straight after a loss getting passed out drunk. It's not good for recovery as a professional athlete and definitely not for someone who has a clear past of drinking issues.

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/04/07/club-statement/

Club Statement

Sun 7 Apr 2019, 02:55 PM
The Brisbane Broncos have spoken to James Roberts about a photograph of him circulating on social media.
Roberts informed the club that he had too many drinks on the Friday night after the loss to the Dragons, at a private party at a home in Brisbane.
Roberts apologised for drinking to excess and said he remained committed to work through his ongoing rehabilitation.
Seibold said Roberts’ behaviour was disappointing, particularly as he had aggravated an Achilles injury the day before.
But this incident was about poor decision making by James and the club would continue to work with him on that area of his life.
“I’ve spoken to Jimmy about avoiding situations where he isn’t in control,” said Seibold.
“He understands, and as a club we will continue to work through things with him.”
Brisbane Broncos CEO Paul White said the club would continue to support Roberts through his off-field rehabilitation. No penalty would be imposed by the club.
“James’ journey to this point has been well-documented and he has made huge strides in recent years,” said White.
“This is a small blip on on that journey, but we have all made poor decisions at times, and the club will continue to support James as we move forward.”
No complaints have been made to to the club in relation to Roberts’ behaviour, but the NRL Integrity Unit has been informed as a matter of course.

Last edited:
Cue the stories about how Roberts needs to go to Souths to have a mentor again like Wayne. [emoji51][emoji849]

Cue the stories about how Roberts needs to go to Souths to have a mentor again like Wayne. [emoji51][emoji849]

This never would have happened if Wayne was coach.... jk

Inb4 "another black eye for the game"

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • davidp
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.