James Roberts - No Sanction for photo circulating on social media

• Thread starter the big farlowski
  • Start date
James issues aren't just recent - back in 2012 here at Penrith he was completely undisciplined on and off the field. Gus worked his ass off to get the guy back on track, Wayne then worked hard and 7 years on - he still cant use his brain to manage his recovery and treat his body responsibly? Hes an origin player and with whats hes been through via self choices should be more aware and respectful.

Unaware of his current mental state, the behavior shows hes not learning or thinking. Its a pretty bad sign considering the extremes he can go to. Broncos need to handle this more than gently, cotton gloves have been out for too long.
So you want to go the big stick? He hasn't done anything wrong. They aren't carrying on about it because it's a non story. Private function, minor indescretion.

So you want to go the big stick? He hasn't done anything wrong. They aren't carrying on about it because it's a non story. Private function, minor indescretion.

1)Hes on the piss hardcore, whilst injured. Please tell me as a professional athlete - how that is responsibly looking after your body - which he is obligated to do for both the performance of himself and for the team.

2)He has a significant history of being on the turps to this level and getting into trouble. Hes visited multiple rehab facilities, faces alcohol issues, sacked from two clubs, myriad of police related matters whilst on the turps- yet still made such a choice. Please tell me how making such choices is a wise idea?

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to stop an alcoholic from drinking? It's impossible. I know, I've tried.

Its near impossible. Which is why they often need to stay completely away.

What are you on about?

Someone stating Bennett jumped a sinking ship is fucking idiotic.

And Bennett is a better coach than Seibold, it’s not just my opinion it’s a fucking fact, regardless of how many games have been played this year.

The only team we’ve beaten this year couldn’t beat an egg, we’ve regressed, also fact.
You're not allowed to defend him anymore, even after ridiculous claims are made against him. Fucking wife-cheating, side mouth, Scott Minto-looking, Darius Boyd-fathering, salary cap cheating, past it, worst coach ever. Am I cool yet?

James issues aren't just recent - back in 2012 here at Penrith he was completely undisciplined on and off the field. Gus worked his ass off to get the guy back on track, Wayne then worked hard and 7 years on - he still cant use his brain to manage his recovery and treat his body responsibly? Hes an origin player and with whats hes been through via self choices should be more aware and respectful.

Unaware of his current mental state, the behavior shows hes not learning or thinking. Its a pretty bad sign considering the extremes he can go to. Broncos need to handle this more than gently, cotton gloves have been out for too long.

I mean, firing him didn't work. This is pretty tame compared to what he used to get up to.

Have you ever tried to stop an alcoholic from drinking? It's impossible. I know, I've tried.

Have you ever been like 8+ massive footballers in strength though? I feel they could have tried harder.

He has done something wrong. He has disobeyed direct team instructions. At the start of the year, they were all told that any player in recovery is to stay off alcohol.

Roberts is my favourite player, I don't want him gone and frankly I don't want him off the field. But he needs a suspension - and who knows, maybe the Achilles is a great way of making him sit out, without lumbering him with more mental baggage that may lead to further self-destruction. I'm sure he knows he's in big trouble.

1)Hes on the piss hardcore, whilst injured. Please tell me as a professional athlete - how that is responsibly looking after your body - which he is obligated to do for both the performance of himself and for the team.

2)He has a significant history of being on the turps to this level and getting into trouble. Hes visited multiple rehab facilities, faces alcohol issues, sacked from two clubs, myriad of police related matters whilst on the turps- yet still made such a choice. Please tell me how making such choices is a wise idea?
Footy players aren't wise. An ex Broncos winger was pissed every weekend during his recovery and it was a much worse injury. Passing out in a private function isn't illegal, it is stupid but if we sacked players for being stupid we wouldn't have a competition to watch.

I'm not getting the comparison with Haas.
Haas point blank refused to co operate with the NRL integrity unit.
Had he just answered their questions he would not have been suspended.
Roberts should be dealt with in house, private function, private residence.
He fell off the wagon, it should be fixed with help and support and the media should leave it alone.

Last edited:
I'm not getting the comparison with Haas.
Haas point blank refused to co operate with the NRL integrity unit.
Had he just answered their questions he would not have been suspended.
Roberts should be dealt with in house, private function, private residence.
He fell off the wagon, it should be fixed with help and support and the media should leave it alone.

Getting troppo while you're a recovering alcoholic on the injured list is a lot worse.

Oh, did I say it was wise? My apologies.

I'm not exactly sure what we can discipline Roberts for, unless he has agreed in his contract not to drink. We can tell him he is an idiot, but thats it really.

Yeah, this image is more saddening than anything. Obviously it isn’t ideal from a club success or injury rehab perspective but James’ history is well known and if anything he needs greater support for something like this not punishment.

league is a game that is largely played by those from working and lower class backgrounds, many from minorities that are plagued with social issues. With this in mind, when you have players, coaches, and other respected individuals come out and suggest that even amongst the rugby league crowd James Roberts’ life has been particularly unpleasant...well, to me that is really saying something.

I have a lot of empathy for James and I hope this really is just a blip on his otherwise successful progress.

Nah, his mates are shit. They let their mate, a known alco and professional sports person, get to that state.

If your mates let that happen, they're not real mates that have your back.
Nah bro. I gotta disagree with you on this one. Speaking from experience as a known alco... it's impossible to stop a drinker drinking from the outside. The only person able to stop a drinker from drinking is the drinker.

Full stop.

This can't be put on his mates. It's Jimmys cross to bear.

His mates 'were' there for him... he needed help, they got him home.
Done.

Have you ever been like 8+ massive footballers in strength though? I feel they could have tried harder.
I have a dead alcoholic brother in law and an almost dead alcoholic brother.

I’m not defending jimmy, he absolutely should be on an alcohol ban if the broncos want the best for him. But, the only person who can stop an alcoholic from drinking is themselves.

Nah bro. I gotta disagree with you on this one. Speaking from experience as a known alco... it's impossible to stop a drinker drinking from the outside. The only person able to stop a drinker from drinking is the drinker.

Full stop.

This can't be put on his mates. It's Jimmys cross to bear.

His mates 'were' there for him... he needed help, they got him home.
Done.
Saw this after my reply.
Nailed it.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • Skathen
  • Browny
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.