Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Not everyone agrees:

Paul Morgan Player of the Year: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Best Forward: 2020, 2021, 2022
Player's Player: 2019, 2020, 2021
Play of the Year: 2021
Australia: 2019 (made himself unavailable 2022)
PM's XIII: 2019
NSW: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

I don’t care about that. Jarryd Hayne won a Dally M and I wouldn’t want him at the Broncos in his prime now we know all we know.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Shit journalism if so. Payne should not be punished for this by the media. This is well beyond football, unless he says something stupid to bring himself attention, the media focus should be purely on his mother, not him.
Perfect storm this one, and unavoidable. Payne's mother had already become a household name because of both her son's high media profile and own her serial shitty behaviour.

This car accident would've been a front page story regardless, but the context of her being a celebrity's mother is significant and of public interest. It's normal to give a background in a story.

The papers aren't tarring Payne with the same brush, but many of the readers (fans) are. To some extent that's fair. We are a product of our upbringing, and Payne proudly puts family first.

It will be tricky for Payne to navigate his way through this one, but his mother has dumped it on him, and he's bound by his own code of loyalty.

I think, as fans, we should try to understand what he's going through and believe he can rise above his upbringing.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I don’t care about that. Jarryd Hayne won a Dally M and I wouldn’t want him at the Broncos in his prime now we know all we know.
Payne is not the only one bound by a contract. So is the club. And, at this point, Payne has done nothing wrong. And not only that, the club has bestowed more awards on him than any player in recent history. A lot of us think Payne isn't playing to his full potential - including me - but no one else is impressing the club more.

So what I'm saying is the club obviously wants Payne at the club. And they know him better than we do.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I see she's appointed colourful Sydney lawyer Leigh Johnson - who will not have come cheaply. Google her if you don't know the name. She represented Anita Cobby's murderer and conman Peter Foster, with whom she got mixed up in some sports betting racket.
Just on a side note for a second, what is the deal with Peter Foster and how frequently he’s arrested ? Do police just tag & release him like a marlin ?

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
The club is walking a tight rope right now:

Coach under pressure
Robati stood down
Payne Haas’s mum circus
Staggs one incident away from getting deregistered.

Obviously got some talent but the place is a bit of a tinderbox right now. Donaghy needs to get the place in order.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Shit journalism if so. Payne should not be punished for this by the media. This is well beyond football, unless he says something stupid to bring himself attention, the media focus should be purely on his mother, not him.

I know hes pretty dumb, but surely this time he will be keeping quiet.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
That’s a big part of the problem we have in this state though. Kids breaking into houses and stealing cars are never going to get anywhere near the maximum sentence. This woman is never going to get life for these ones.
Please direct these comments to the local ALP office.

No upper house in Qld parliament so they are the only ones who could fix this, if they actually wanted to. The Youth Justice Act is an atrocious piece of legislation.
5483813D 0168 4B49 AE6B 0C7F83D6FEFF

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
There's a hard lesson in life that not everyone has to learn, is that you really are just better off without some family.
100%. Some people give too much power to "blood". I haven't talked to my parents (and my entire extended family) in over 8 years (except at 1 funeral), and my life has been easier for it.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

that's just something we're used to by now.

every report I've read on the incident has made sure to mention Payne several times during the article. they need to be sure to remind everyone she is Payne Haas mother (given they have different surnames)

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
The big thing is how will he handle fans getting at him from other teams. He really struggled last year after his contract break episode. This could be a lot worse than that if he gets targeted.
And they most definitely will.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.