NEWS Joan Taufua charged with manslaughter

Rabs

Rabs

BRL Player
Jul 21, 2022
Was speaking to somebody yesterday that lived in a unit block at Toowong where this lady also lived, she was evicted from the unit after several incidents where beer bottles were thrown at people walking in the street below the balcony.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008

Not sure if that's been posted - but some brief footage of car speeding and, more harrowingly, an interview with the daughter and sister of the victims.

I honestly just can't fathom what makes someone this stupid. On parole, driving illegally, gets pinged by the cops and she thinks the best thing to do is to speed off? You don't think they're going to run your plates and catch up with you later? And because you're a fucking idiot of the highest magnitude, three innocent people are now dead.

I don't know how Payne can stand by his mother through this. My opinion of him is already pretty low, but that would be the final nail for sure.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Not 100% sure, but at a guess - QAS may well have sedated on scene with their usual drug - droperidol and for medical reasons, perhaps in relation to lung injuries she is said to have suffered, they may be mechanically ventilating her, which would explain continued sedation / medically induced coma and why police have yet to speak with her / charge her.

But I am no doctor. I’ve just taken or been present with QAS with a lot of sick / injured people presenting to emergency / going into ICU, so the above is nothing more than supposition albeit a situation I’ve seen more than a few times. Particularly with critical head trauma or burns injuries.

My wife works in emergency these days and thats exactly what would have happened and see's these all the time. With a possible lung injury she wouldnt have been given Methoxyflurane because you breath it in to be effective, so you would think Moprhine at the very least would have been used.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Not sure if that's been posted - but some brief footage of car speeding and, more harrowingly, an interview with the daughter and sister of the victims.

I honestly just can't fathom what makes someone this stupid. On parole, driving illegally, gets pinged by the cops and she thinks the best thing to do is to speed off? You don't think they're going to run your plates and catch up with you later? And because you're a fucking idiot of the highest magnitude, three innocent people are now dead.

I don't know how Payne can stand by his mother through this. My opinion of him is already pretty low, but that would be the final nail for sure.

I think he can stand by her, its his Mum but he cant try to condone or make excuses for her.

The woman at the end of the day is pure scum. Sadly, what she's done driving ( not the accident part of this ) is what we have seen Payne do. Speeding, driving suspended and flouting the law are all things he has done. Even his aggressive outbursts off the field are probably down to what he see's from that woman.

As i said previously, if found guilty she should never spend another day of her life as a free woman.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

Apparently spoken to the first time this morning, formally declined an interview.

I expect serious charges are not now far away.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Apparently spoken to the first time this morning, formally declined an interview.

I'm dont have a clue how this would work, but would they have been able to test her to see if she had been drinking via a blood test?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Correct me if I get anything wrong here, but I think we know the following about her:

1. has a previous criminal record.
2. currently on immediate parole for a two year sentence, which will include conditions.
3. likely to have broken the conditions - if proven - and will likely have to serve her 2 years for that alone.
4. was driving without a licence.
5. evaded police.
6. broke the speed limit.
7. actions led to a multiple manslaughter.
8. refusing to talk to the police, presumably on legal advice

We - the public - don't know whether or to what extent:

1. she was intoxicated - the police will already have the toxicology
2. her actions caused the accident - the police will have an opinion

So will the police reveal the results of the toxicology before she is charged, or will they need to do a full investigation - all witnesses, interview etc - before charging?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I'm dont have a clue how this would work, but would they have been able to test her to see if she had been drinking via a blood test?
Yep. Would have been done upon her initial presentation at Emergency Dept.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Correct me if I get anything wrong here, but I think we know the following about her:

1. has a previous criminal record.
2. currently on immediate parole for a two year sentence, which will include conditions.
3. likely to have broken the conditions - if proven - and will likely have to serve her 2 years for that alone.
4. was driving without a licence.
5. evaded police.
6. broke the speed limit.
7. actions led to a multiple manslaughter.
8. refusing to talk to the police, presumably on legal advice

We - the public - don't know whether or to what extent:

1. she was intoxicated - the police will already have the toxicology
2. her actions caused the accident - the police will have an opinion

So will the police reveal the results of the toxicology before she is charged, or will they need to do a full investigation - all witnesses, interview etc - before charging?
Blood results take a minimum of 5 weeks to come back. She wasn’t conscious so they would have taken blood and sent it away for analysis.

Charged today - possible bedside hearing tomorrow.
3x manslaughter,
1x Dangerous Op. Motor vehicle.
1x Evade police.
1x drive with suspended licence (demerit point suspension).

She will be remanded in custody and her parole conditions breached.

So in hospital til fully recovered then straight to Brisbane Womens CC.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Blood results take a minimum of 5 weeks to come back. She wasn’t conscious so they would have taken blood and sent it away for analysis.

3x manslaughter,
1x Evade police.

Good, hope she rots.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

3x manslaughter,
1x Evade police.

Good, she should be behind bars until she's old and frail at the very least.

L

Locky24

QCup Player
May 17, 2009
Does anyone know what’s the expected sentence for those charges? Or does it all come down to the judge etc?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I see she's appointed colourful Sydney lawyer Leigh Johnson - who will not have come cheaply. Google her if you don't know the name. She represented Anita Cobby's murderer and conman Peter Foster, with whom she got mixed up in some sports betting racket.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The family are just rotten. Heard plenty about them when he signed for us, and some of the stuff i heard about how Payne was carrying on ( nothing major, just him being a bit of a big time charlie ) probably cemented why i dont really like the bloke. They are just awful people and as many have said, this disgusting, vile, grub of a woman should have known better than to flout the law and drive like that after what happened to her son.

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • sooticus
  • Jedhead
  • Financeguy
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncos Maestro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.