NEWS Joan Taufua charged with manslaughter

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Does anyone know what’s the expected sentence for those charges? Or does it all come down to the judge etc?
Life for the manslaughter charges. Varying sentences for the rest.

What the sentencing range is for those offences is anyones guess, but this will be at the high end of those…

Edit: lawyer appeared for her in Southport MC this morning, matter adjourned until January 11, for a bail hearing.

If she is still subject to parole however, that bail hearing won’t go ahead and the matter further adjourned / set for a committal hearing.

A return to prison warrant will be issued by Queensland Corrective Services breaching her parole. So she won’t be driving again any time soon, thankfully.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

What the sentencing range is for those offences is anyones guess, but this will be at the high end of those…

Edit: lawyer appeared for her in Southport MC this morning, matter adjourned until January 11, for a bail hearing.

If she is still subject to parole however, that bail hearing won’t go ahead and the matter further adjourned / set for a committal hearing.

A return to prison warrant will be issued by Queensland Corrective Services breaching her parole. So she won’t be driving again any time soon, thankfully.

Can you have your license totally revoked in QLD?

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
condolences to all those affected.

Wonder what this means for Payne's season? Trivial in context, but still I wonder.
Understandably, this season is probably the last thing on his mind.

The media pressure throughout the season.

Supporting his mother in her upcoming case.

Most likely having to move out of the area.

He's going to need a lot of support. Not sure where it will come from and what is appropriate. Payne isn't responsible for his mothers actions. He is a human being under enormous pressure due to her actions. How does the club support him and respect the lives of those lost? Very delicate situation.

Again, condolences to those affected by Payne's mother.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Can you have your license totally revoked in QLD?
Yes, you can be disqualified absolutely by a court from holding a driver licence.

Obviously your history needs to be atrocious and the acts you have committed at the highest end of offending, but it can and does happen.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

Wonder what this means for Payne's season? Trivial in context, but still I wonder.

He's going to need a lot of support. Not sure where it will come from and what is appropriate. Payne isn't responsible for his mothers actions. He is a human being under enormous pressure due to her actions. How does the club support him and respect the lives of those lost? Very delicate situation.

All interesting questions, same thoughts occurred to me.

Full credit to him if he can play well through all of that, but we’ll see…

I imagine Broncs welfare officer is like a blue fly in a brown bottle, atm…

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I wonder if the best thing for him might be an extended leave of absence, just give him space to get away from the media.

As for his mum, surely bail can’t even be a consideration as she is already on parole and doesn’t seem to have even abided by those terms already on her, so complete flight risk and seemingly obvious danger to society.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I wonder if the best thing for him might be an extended leave of absence, just give him space to get away from the media.

As for his mum, surely bail can’t even be a consideration as she is already on parole and doesn’t seem to have even abided by those terms already on her, so complete flight risk and seemingly obvious danger to society.

The big thing is how will he handle fans getting at him from other teams. He really struggled last year after his contract break episode. This could be a lot worse than that if he gets targeted.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

He won't be in a great place right now, that's for sure. And he's going to cop some jibes about it. He's a bit older and wiser than he was after his brother died, but it's not hard to see him lashing out at some point.

I think as fans we can't see the cohesive zones within the playing group. I might be wrong about this but I can see the other players rallying around him.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Or get back on the tools, the way he did during the contract dispute. He took all that on the chin.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Or get back on the tools, the way he did during the contract dispute. He took all that on the chin.

That is certainly the other option, some people definitely would prefer that option and that may be Payne. This is on another level to the contract stuff though. That was all his own doing, even if management. This is not seemingly his fault at all.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
That is certainly the other option, some people definitely would prefer that option and that may be Payne. This is on another level to the contract stuff though. That was all his own doing, even if management. This is not seemingly his fault at all.
I'm okay if he cracks, bashes someone and gets a couple of weeks to cool off. As long as it's on the field. It's round one. And it's Jarome Luai.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Latest:

Coomera CIB Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Procter could not go into specific details as the case was now before the courts, and police are still “painting the picture.” Reports from witnesses and CCTV vision had been collated:
“Police are alleging that vehicle was driven in an extremely dangerous manner on the wrong side of the road at high-speed. "​

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

That’s a big part of the problem we have in this state though. Kids breaking into houses and stealing cars are never going to get anywhere near the maximum sentence. This woman is never going to get life for these ones.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

As long as he doesnt make some stupid comment or try to make any excuses about why she did it, i think he will get the backing he needs. The club and players will rally around him. Its not like he is somebody like Carrigan or Oatesy who are pretty much get on with everyone, there are certainly groups within the main group and if he does the wrong thing i think then we could have issues.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Wish we could get rid of Payne Haas. His whole family are bottom feeders. It’s just a truth.

Would be better to move on from him and his family.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Wish we could get rid of Payne Haas. His whole family are bottom feeders. It’s just a truth.

Would be better to move on from him and his family.
Not everyone agrees:

Paul Morgan Player of the Year: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Best Forward: 2020, 2021, 2022
Player's Player: 2019, 2020, 2021
Play of the Year: 2021
Australia: 2019 (made himself unavailable 2022)
PM's XIII: 2019
NSW: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Active Now

• scobie
  • Harry Sack
  • Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • bb_gun
  • jd87
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Froosh
  • Canga
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.