Josh Hoffman

• Thread starter sydney_bronco09
  • Start date
I think all three of those young backs in their first season did as well as could be expected of them last night. THey all have big futures IMO

Agreed - we've all heard of second year syndrome, but I think the Hoff had a little bit of second game syndrome last night.

However, he was quick to capitalise on the errors he made to ensure that nothing worse could come of them, and definitely is a talented player. He'll be much better for the experience imo.

He made a couple of mistakes but he also did some good things as well. he is a really talented player. but we need to remember that he is young and inexperienced.

I seriously can't believe you guys were watching the same game........Hoffman while putting his body on the line a few times and whilst he did have a few good touches to even mention him and Hunt in the same breath is ludicrous. He was well and truly outplayed by Coote in skill, ability, calmness under pressure and fortitude. As soon as things went a little bad for Hoffman he totally crumbled and then missed the tackle on Jennings that gave us the result we had. Sorry while I agree that he has potential he needs at least a year, maybe 2 in the QLD Cup to better develop his talents and the ability to handle the pressure of first grade.

Hoffman's a good talent, i like him, but Hunt's defence was no where near as bad as Hoffman's when he started.

Hoffman really got dirty on himself each time he made a mistake, so he wasnt playing to his best. just needs time and experience to not let it get to him and to play better than next set and make up for it.

fenomeno said:
Hoffman's a good talent, i like him, but Hunt's defence was no where near as bad as Hoffman's when he started.

Hunt was dropping every bomb that came his way in the first season, and he still can't tackle properly at fullback....

But then again Hunt was a 5/8th playing in an unfamiliar position IIRC.

The quicker Robinson is out of the team the better. He is absolutley useless, can't defend at all. Reminds me of Leon Bott, all he has is quickness but that isn't enough to warrant a 1st grade position.

People seem to be giving Parker big wraps, I am yet to be impressed with him. All he does is run sideways, he has no penetration compared to a back rower like Pritchard or Creagh. Big motor but doens't have all that much impact imo.

Alec said:
fenomeno said:

Hunt was dropping every bomb that came his way in the first season, and he still can't tackle properly at fullback....

But then again Hunt was a 5/8th playing in an unfamiliar position IIRC.

I was more referring to man on man defence, a fly could steam roll Hoffman at the moment.

The Rock said:
[quote="Je$ter":2g87l9wv]People seem to be giving Parker big wraps, I am yet to be impressed with him. All he does is run sideways, he has no penetration compared to a back rower like Pritchard or Creagh. Big motor but doens't have all that much impact imo.

I agree, I am not fussed over Corey Parker at the moment. Sure he has a good work rate but that doesn't count for that much really - He never seems to hit holes or use a fend or even offload anymore. He's not as effective as people tend to believe.[/quote:2g87l9wv]

He's not effective at all. he spins when he hits the line....almost like it's Oztag. i don't mind forwards turning to protect the ball during impact, but every now and then you have to try and break the defensive line...that isn't going to happen turning into each tackle.

Corey Parker seems to be like Hindmarsh, Stagg, Johnson etc at the moment. Except he does actually offer something in attack (even if it isn't much), unlike those guys. Last couple of years he offered more, but he didn't do as much work in defence. He obviously can't do both - that's too much to ask of any player. So in the end I can only imagine he does what Bennett asks of him, and he usually does it well.

I personally think he is looking too thin. Compared to guys like Hoffman, Creagh, etc he's fairly short. He needs to pack on muscle and use his height or lack thereof to his advantage. Nohting worse than late in a game having to get lower to tackle a short bloke, it requires more effort. But if he keeps running sideways he is easy pickings and doing nothing for blokes outside him except show them the sideline.

If he ran with a bit more purpose and a bit straighter I think he oculd use his ball skills through the line, rather than his current SBW like grip run sideways and flick it. SBW as much as i don't like him is the best exponent of it. When he makes impact he brings it in tight, then drives gets his hand free and around the corner. Parker is too sideways and isn't giving his outside men a chance any room at all when he flicks it to them.

Who do you reckon will get the Rookie of the year for the Broncos? I can't see Hoffman getting it, but I don't know where else to post this thought.

Who is out there? Reece Robinson? Andrew McCullough? Isaac AhMau? Derrick Watkins? I'd say Reece is the most likely candidate...hmmmm....

Maybe Manihera if he stays in the top grade a few more weeks.

The tries will come I just like the fact we have a winger who can make some ground out of our end. As much a I like Boyd his rucks are like a bug hitting a windscreen.

Ah - back to topic?

I wouldn't mind seeing Hoffman at the back when Hunt moves into the backrow. [icon_ee

I wouldn't mind seeing Hoffman at the back when Hunt moves to 5/8th.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Fozz
  • Painin the Haas
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.